Attention Canadians: How are You different from US Citizens?

shepaints

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:42 pm
Canadians are amazingly efficient......soccer
and tennis can go on all year at enclosed
domes or bubbles.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:18 pm
There was a forum out of Calgary on the CBC this morning. One of the questions was "how are canadians different from americans'. One of the speakers said that the difference was that canadians knew there was a difference. hmmmmmm. ok

Lash, try looking at the news on google.ca instead of google.com sometime. It's interesting to see the differences once you got past the 'top news'. I do it with google.ca, google.com and google.de occasionally. I should check out some other ones as well.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:21 pm
To quote s great candian Martin Short "candadians are like russian spies disguised to look like americans" our culture is different in a bunch of ways. We are much more liberal, secular, non-violent and generally caring. We dont like to fight, but well keep the peace.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
Welcome, etruscia. It's always nice to 'meet' more Canajuns here.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 03:02 pm
I'll second that Beth. Welcome aboard Etruscia :-D
0 Replies

rich4short

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:03 pm
Difference tween Ca & US
I would advance . . .

that most Canadians are a more open minded people than most Americans.

that most Canadians are more respectful of other people than most Americans.

that most Canadians are more passive and less agressive than most Americans.

that most Canadians agree that guns don't kill people but that people kill people and that it's a whole lot easier and less costly, to control the guns before the shooting than it is to control the people after they've killed.

that most Canadians believe in freedom of religion so much that we don't want the "religious right" putting a leader into power to dictate how the people of another or no religion should live.

that most Canadians remember the horror of Hiroshima and Nagasaki,
inflicted by the same good ole US of A on the 240,000 innocent Japanese men, women and children, that now so loudly protest the killing of 3,000 American people in the world trade centre in 911.

that most Canadians can't bring themselves to rush off to war with a country proven to be in no way responsible for 911, nor posing any immediate threat of substance to anyone, and then to cause the deaths of 100,000 of their civilians, whom they're supposedly warring on behalf of, while sacrificing 1000 of their own soldiers, and for what.

that most Canadians can't understand how a country like the USA can re-elect a leader who takes them to war on lies, who has put their economy in the dumper, who has driven their national debt to unprecedented levels, who has raised the cost of healthcare for its masses while reducing the income taxes of its wealthiest high income earners, who has destroyed the country and its people's image and reputation the world over, who rejects his own people for loving one and other (gay men and lesbian women), who spends hundreds of billions of dollars on a war of no purpose while his homeless people die daily on the streets of his country, while thousands of his people die of HIV-Aids, while countries the world over cope with mass starvation, genocide and more HIV-aids, while global warming irreversibly changes his country's environment say nothing of the world's, while his actions cause his currency to fall, oil prices to rise to record levels, while he takes jobs from those within his own country to give to others out of country so as to lower costs for big business, who stands there and grins like a child who just messed his pants and then declares he's done it working hard for his people.

that most Canadians are smart enough to see that America's leader is an idiot, a liar, a war mongering killer, a profiteer, a homophobic, a confessed alcoholic, and . . . oh yes, a right wing religious zealot calling himself a good Christian!

that most Canadians are proud to be Canadian because we keep doing the right thing by not supporting the USA while its lemmings stumble along playing follow the leader.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:25 pm
That's pretty harsh...let me roll over so you can flail my chest.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:36 pm
Hardly sounds open minded or respectful.....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:00 pm
CANADIANS
here is an article from today's 'toronto star' trying to figure out what makes canada what it is and what, perhaps, it might be. rather a good article, i think. >>> WANTED : A "BRAND" THAT DEFINES CANADA
0 Replies

rich4short

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 06:21 pm
my comments
Sorry!

Hope I haven't offended anyone here with my factual comments but these truly are the differences.

No point in pretending otherwise.

I, like so many other canadians, as well as most other people from across the world, share this view.

There truly is nothing appealing about today's America nor those Americans who re-elected Bush and history will forever reflect his term of office as the one that most damaged the US, its image and the rights of its people.

God help all of you who must endure his presidency.

Happily, I don't!
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:40 pm
Yesterday we woke to a winter wonderland
here in the forests north of Toronto.......For a day, after the first snow many Canadians forget how to drive.........
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:25 pm
Do they ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:25 pm
Cant wait, ive got a new snowboard all shined up for this winter. Im heading to Mont St. Anne for march break snowboarding.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
I'm going to Jasper for a hockey tournament in Jasper, on the 26th. I hope I can get in a couple of runs.
0 Replies

megassel

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 09:16 pm
Thanks a lot, Rich4short, I was just starting to come out of my depression.

It's important to point out that your complaints about America are mainly about this administration. 51 million of us share those same complaints. Actually, I think more like 100 million actually share those complaints, but inexplicably many of them voted for Bush anyway. Or sat their lazy asses on the sofa and let the religious zealots make the decision.

It really was about spin. The Bush campaign managed to convince otherwise intelligent people that if you were a moral person, you had to vote Republican. For shame, people, for shame.

I'm a dual citizen and would be tempted to move up there if it weren't so **** freezing! Can we do something about that?
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:14 am
Freezing? Here in ontario it gets to be anywhere from 25-35 C (not Farrenheit) and in the winter i guess its somewhat cold, 0 to -30C(rarely). But thats why its so awesome, you can do everything you would do in a hot summer place, wakeboarding , tanning, etc. and you get all the winter sports and fun too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:46 am
Hi, Etruscia.
Always glad to see another Ontarioan here who likes the weather. Very Happy
0 Replies

megassel

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
I guess I'll rephrase, because I'm not ignorant. I know it's not significantly colder than places in the US - like Michigan, where I grew up. It's just cold for a lot longer than we prefer. But it's a matter of what you expect and what you're accustomed to. I lived in Halifax as a child and recall that it was much like Michigan in climate. And that was all I'd ever known so that was just fine with me.

I'd love to live in Canada for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to get away from the Bush administration. I wonder, however, why so many of my Canadian cousins are trying to get into the US. Why are they trying so hard to move so far from family and everything they've ever known to live in the US? What opportunities are here that aren't in Canada?

My parents were the only ones from two large families (6 and 18 children) to immigrate to the States, so 99% of my relatives live in ON, QE, NB, NS and NFLD. What is it that we have in the States that makes them work so hard to get in?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
You'd have to ask them, megassel.
You don't have anything I want.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
Well to put it bluntly i plan to live in Calafornia when im older purely for weather purposes, other than that i have no desire to live in the U.S.
0 Replies