[B]antisemitism on wifeswap[/B]

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:43 am
panzade wrote:
my take

or perhaps a cuckold reference

That is also entirely possible. I forgot about that one. Bad English major me...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:46 pm
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20000517

I have heard of making a sign with your hand that looked like horns, that indicated a cuckold.

Some interesting opinions here:

Quote:
From the OED:
"[ME. cukeweld, cokewold (3 syllables), adaptation of an OF. word which appears in 1463 as cucuault, pointing to an earlier *cucuald, f. OF. cucu cuckoo (in 15-17 c. cocu, 16-17th c. coucou, cuckoo and cuckold; mod.F. coucou cuckoo, cocu cuckold, also, dialectally, cuckoo), with the appellative and pejorative suffix -ald, -auld, -ault, -aud = It. -aldo, f. Ger. -wald: see Diez, Gramm. Lang. Rom. (1874) II. 346. (The Sw. dial. kukkuvall is from F.; mod.Icel. kokkáll from English.)
"Another OF. synonym was coucuol, couquiol, with dimin. ending, app. from Prov.: cf. OPr. coguiol, mod.Pr. couguieu, couquieu, couguou, cuckoo and cuckold. The current F. equivalent is the simple form cocu. The origin of the sense is supposed to be found in the cuckoo's habit of laying its egg in another bird's nest; in Ger., gauch and kuckuk, and in Pr., cogotz, were applied to the adulterer as well as the husband of the adulteress, and Littré cites an assertion of the same double use in French; in English, where cuckold has never been the name of the bird, we do not find it applied to the adulterer.]"

http://pub122.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm3.showMessage?topicID=334.topic
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:50 pm
It sure does, and in some languages "horned" is the word for cuckold.

It sounded to me like he was just expecting her bad side to come out soon.

<shrugs>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:53 pm
Never heard that statement in my life, Jillian.

Funny, I just responded to Don of the UK explaining about Sanford and Son and All in the family. (TV series stolen from Britain..).

Those two TV series broke a lot of taboos in America. I never watch reality shows, cause the reality in Florida is about all that I can handle.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 12:54 pm
In any event--I would hope people would NOT want to censor such remarks.

I think it is good for us to see what people think and say.

If it was anti-Jew--it should be known and discussed. We should be able to gauge things like racism--rather than push it under a rug.
0 Replies