[B]antisemitism on wifeswap[/B]

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:48 am
iwas horrified last night when the Italian Dad said to the camera referring to the woman who was his "new wife for 2 weeks." I think the horns are coming out at any minute." Every Jew knows that this is a reference to the Bible which was misinterpreted to say that Jews have horns. Ask anyone who has met someone who has never met a Jew and they will tell you this might have happened to them.

The woman in question is Jewish. His wife also had problems being with a biracial family. This is disgusting! As someone who has never posted to a website before, I feel like I must do something to counteract this! Exclamation Exclamation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,582 • Replies: 24
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:57 am
Welcome to A2K Jillian but I have to add...wait up a sec..
I never heard of this inference, but I recognize Italian Dad's statement as being...perhaps an Italian-American remark. Is it possible you misunderstood?
0 Replies

Jillian828

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:01 am
If you are Jewish and have never been asked , "Where are your horns?" you are lucky. Try a road trip thru the south and Texas. I had a college roomate (at Boston University!) who asked me that question having never met a Jew.

Since this is a clear, often used, anti-semetic statement, I can't believe it got by the sensors. Bet they weren't Jewish (or too busy to catch it!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:11 am
Jillian828- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I have heard of this racist conception too, but not for many decades. I would suggest that you write to the network, and state your case, as dispassionately as possible. There is no way to know if the remark was inadvertent, or whether it was really meant as an anti-Semitic dig. I do not watch that show, so I could not comment.

I would be interested in the network's reply!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:15 am
I've heard of it, Jillian. Eek, it's hard to believe people still think that way. At Boston University in 1979, I was sometimes the first Jew people had seen. While I don't recall anyone specifically asking about horns, I do recall a certain fascination by some, as if I were some sort of odd lab experiment.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:15 am
http://jewish.com/askarabbi/askarabbi/askr893.htm

Quote:
Why do we often see Moses shown with horns on his head?

Q: Why do some sculptures (or paintings) of Moses show horns on his head?

A: In Exodus 34, verse 29, Moses comes down from the mountain after getting the second set of tablets of the 10 Commandments. (The first set was broken when he saw the people worshipping the Golden Calf.) The text says that Moses didn't know that his face was radiant because Moses had spoken to God. In Hebrew, the word for "radiant" is karan. This is closely related to the Hebrew word for "horn" - keren. In Akkadian prayers, these words are also closely related. When the Hebrew Bible was translated into Latin, the translation was that Moses' face "was horned". It was this mistranslation that led artists, most notably Michaelangelo, to portray Moses as horned. These visual representations of Moses with horns, as well as the Latin translation, is where non-Jews got the idea that all Jews have horns.

www.jewish.com/askarabbi

Copyright (c) 1997 by Rabbi Jo David. All Rights Reserved.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:18 am
Link to Jews & horns

Quote:
A widespread medieval negative image of the Jew was based upon a misinterpretation of the Hebrew Bible. Moses was often depicted with two horns on his head as a result of the Latin mis-rendering of the verb "sent forth beams" (karan) in Exodus 34:35 as "grew horns." (A horn is a keren.) This image, which was widely portrayed in art of the Middle Ages by artists including Michelangelo and Donatello in Italy, led to the widespread notion that all Jews had devilish horns.

The Nazis seized upon the negative Jewish body image and used caricatures and other forms of propaganda to present the Jews as sub-human or as disfigured humans. The Nazi weekly Der Sturmer was famous for disseminating these images.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:20 am
Goes to show I don't know much about this anti-semitic take...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:25 am
panzade wrote:
Goes to show I don't know much about this anti-semitic take...

And that is a GOOD thing. I thought that this sort of racism was no longer around, but it may be that it is not. I really hope that the whole thing was an inadvertent mistake.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 08:27 am
We all do...but with reality tv comes reality racism...I guess.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 09:58 am
Have I heard the expression yes indeed. In fact in 1949 while stationed in Texas a new recruit from Oklahoma who I had befriended when he found out I was Jewish. Looked at me in disbelief since he had been taught that all Jews had horns.
Regarding the statement referenced. I doubt that it was meant to be anti Semitic. It is an Italian statement used all the time. Can't translate exactly but meant Wishing something bad on you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:02 am
yeh, my wife had her horns removed in an out patient procedure, years ago. But every so often, she still gets a taste for human blood.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:05 am
My grandmother related an exact story to au's to me when I was a kid. Not knowing Italian, I can't judge whether the statement made on the show was anti-semetic or not.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
Cav
I have lived and worked with Italians most of my life. In my corner of the world if you were not Jewish you were Italian. In fact most of my friends and neighbors are Italian. Have heard and used that expression many time. In fact there is a hand sign used to give horns.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:15 am
Well, with Meyer Lansky and Bugsy Siegel, I suppose the two groups reached an 'understanding'. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:17 am
To be honest, I have never met an anti-semetic Italian, not in this city anyway.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:18 am
It was guns and butter :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:19 am
Heh heh...I find all this fascinating in light of the original post.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
I can only hazard a guess that the original statement in Italian refers to 'the devil' of Catholic mythology, and is not necessarily related to being Jewish.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 10:35 am
my take

or perhaps a cuckold reference
0 Replies