Specific Commas in an Essay Question

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 05:10 pm
So, my 10th grade teacher made four corrections to my essay relating to commas. I rarely make comma mistake and really (REALLY) think she is wrong. I want to know what I should do if she is wrong without making myself sound like a smart alec:
Should I tell her she's wrong in a comforting way
Ask about the commas
Something else

Please tell me if I'm wrong on these corrections (I'm not). The word in parentheses will be (COMMA) where she put the correction and -1 points.

"Another theory important to Freud in the development of psychoanalysis was the theory of infantile sexuality(COMMA) which gave explanations as to why some feelings were left repressed in the unconscious state of mind."

"In the development of psychoanalysis, Freud was quick to figure out the idea(COMMA) but slow to get other scientists to accept it."

"Freud quickly submitted to the community his idea of psychoanalysis(COMMA) which he thought would be revolutionary in the coming years."

"Freud's problem with getting others to accept his ideas was that he had an abundance of stories(COMMA) yet no way to prove these ideas or stories."

I think I might be wrong on the 3rd one since it does join two independent clauses together, but it's not stated online as a conjunction. Thanks in advance for the support!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 490 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by crynoking
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 06:46 am
Others might have more opinions, but I think no commas are needed except #4 (, yet)
0 Replies

Bazza6
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2017 12:47 pm
@crynoking,

1. "...the theory of infantile sexuality, which gave..." : the 'which' clause is a Non-Defining clause, which is separated by a comma.
compare Defining clause:
"The company that makes the widget has gone bankrupt."

2. "...to figure out the idea but slow to get"]..." : 'but' is one of the Co-ordinating conjunctions, and takes a comma if...IF... it begins an independent clause. The latter includes a subject and a verb. There is no subject or main verb.
compare
"Freud was quick to figure out the idea, but he was slow to get other scientists to accept it."

3. as per (1).

4. as per (2)

crynoking

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 03:09 pm
@Bazza6,
Wow! I never even knew about defining clauses until now. Maybe this will help on the ACT, thanks so much. So I am correct on 2 and 4. This will help a lot for future essays.
0 Replies