Gay marriage?

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 03:00 pm
Re: Gay marriage?
Debra_Law wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
How do you feel about the issue? Should we allow it? Should we ban it? Or should we try and reach a compromise?

It's not up to us to decide whether "we" will allow it or not.

Actually it is. I thought that we were voting for this in about 16 states this year, so the outcome from that will decide if "we" allow it or not.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:30 pm

cannistershot wrote:
Actually it is. I thought that we were voting for this in about 16 states this year, so the outcome from that will decide if "we" allow it or not.

Do you really think so? Do you really think we can succeed at tyranny and oppress those homosexuals?

I guess "we" can outlaw interracial marriages too. Let's all vote to amend our state constitutions to prohibit interracial marriages. Maybe that will help "us" to evade the Supreme Law of the Land so that "we" can impose our moral views on society and deprive others of their fundamental rights.

White Supremacy and Heterosexual Supremacy forever!
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:36 pm
'can' and 'shoud' are two different concepts Debra, as are 'can' and 'would be justified to'.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:40 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

cannistershot wrote:

Do you really think so? Do you really think we can succeed at tyranny and oppress those homosexuals?

I guess "we" can outlaw interracial marriages too. Let's all vote to amend our state constitutions to prohibit interracial marriages. Maybe that will help "us" to evade the Supreme Law of the Land so that "we" can impose our moral views on society and deprive others of their fundamental rights.

White Supremacy and Heterosexual Supremacy forever!

Wow sorry that my opinion is different from yours. But I don't think that is a good reason to accuse me of being a bigot. Oh never mind it's the typical lib thing, when you don't know what else to say call the other person a racist. I'm black, ever think about that?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:43 pm
Huh?
Einherjar wrote:
'can' and 'shoud' are two different concepts Debra, as are 'can' and 'would be justified to'.

Huh?

Tyranny and oppression of the few at the hands of the many can never be justified.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:47 pm
cannistershot wrote:
Oh never mind it's the typical lib thing, when you don't know what else to say call the other person a racist. I'm black, ever think about that?

You ever been called a racist while debating environmental politics? While debating abortion? Vouchers?

The racist - homofobe parallell aplies, as does the same sex marriage - interracial marriage parallell.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:48 pm
Re: Huh?
Debra_Law wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

Huh?

Tyranny and oppression of the few at the hands of the many can never be justified.

Read it again.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:53 pm
Einherjar wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Oh never mind it's the typical lib thing, when you don't know what else to say call the other person a racist. I'm black, ever think about that?

You ever been called a racist while debating environmental politics? While debating abortion? Vouchers?

The racist - homofobe parallell aplies, as does the same sex marriage - interracial marriage parallell.

Actually I have on the abortion issue. I don't see the parallel between same sex, interracial marriage. I may be wrong but I don't think that it was ever the issue that gay marriage is. By the way just kidding about being black. But I am as far from being a racist as can be, and I do not like being called one.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:55 pm
Re: Huh?
Debra_Law wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

Huh?

Do you not think that the majority should rule? I want to do away with welfare, but I am in the minority on this and I know that it will never happen. So should I now fight harder?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 04:59 pm
cannistershot...I am disappointed that you misrepresented yourself as a gay black man. I noticed you live in Atlanta, and I thought "hey, that's really far from Soho..." Smile
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:01 pm
cannistershot wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

Actually I have on the abortion issue.

???

Quote:
I don't see the parallel between same sex, interracial marriage. I may be wrong but I don't think that it was ever the issue that gay marriage is. By the way just kidding about being black. But I am as far from being a racist as can be, and I do not like being called one.

Marriage was once restricted to people of opposite gender and same race. Some 100 years later one of these qualifiers has been deemed bigoted and unjust, why do you think the other isn't?

And to preempt, you are the one asserting there is a fundamental difference, the burden of evidence lies uppon you.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:01 pm
cavfancier wrote:
cannistershot...I am disappointed that you misrepresented yourself as a gay black man. I noticed you live in Atlanta, and I thought "hey, that's really far from Soho..." Smile

Just wanted to make a point, Debra has no idea what I am.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:04 pm
Einherjar wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

Actually I have on the abortion issue.

???

Quote:
I don't see the parallel between same sex, interracial marriage. I may be wrong but I don't think that it was ever the issue that gay marriage is. By the way just kidding about being black. But I am as far from being a racist as can be, and I do not like being called one.

Marriage was once restricted to people of opposite gender and same race. Some 100 years later one of these qualifiers has been deemed bigoted and unjust, why do you think the other isn't?

And to preempt, you are the one asserting there is a fundamental difference, the burden of evidence lies uppon you.

I don't think that I "asserted" anything. I asked a question and for the most part have saved my opinions. I asked the question because it is one that I struggle with having family, co-workers and friends that are gay, not as a way to be insulted.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:08 pm
I was right I looked back and I have stated no opinions other than the fact that we as voters are going to vote on this issue in 11(16 by mistake) states Tuesday, so we have say in the matter.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:09 pm
cannistershot wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

True enough. Personally, I support gay marriage, but to cop a riff from Johnny Cochrane, if the states vote nay, the law will stay, much to my dismay.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:09 pm
Right, somhow I got the idea that you were advocating a ban on gay marriage. Anyway, you did say that you thought the interracial, same sex marriage parallell was invalid. How so?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:10 pm
cannistershot wrote:
Wow sorry that my opinion is different from yours. But I don't think that is a good reason to accuse me of being a bigot. Oh never mind it's the typical lib thing, when you don't know what else to say call the other person a racist. I'm black, ever think about that?

Your opinion, if I understand it correctly, is that the people have the power to implement unlawful discrimination against homosexuals via the ballot box. You are wrong. Loving v. Virginia; Lawrence v. Texas.

Read the Massachusetts Supreme Court opinion that was posted earlier in this thread.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:12 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
cannistershot wrote:

Your opinion, if I understand it correctly, is that the people have the power to implement unlawful discrimination against homosexuals via the ballot box. You are wrong. Loving v. Virginia; Lawrence v. Texas.

Read the Massachusetts Supreme Court opinion that was posted earlier in this thread.

My opinion is that we are voting on thsi issue Tuesday. Nothing more.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 05:34 pm
uneducated
cannistershot wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

You are uneducated.

Your question, should we allow same-sex marriages, is about as foolish as asking whether we should allow interracial marriages or witch burnings.

Your question ignores the basic concepts of our form of government with three branches and built-in checks and balances. Our government is not a pure democracy, it is a republic. The mob does not rule.

Quote:
I asked the question because it is one that I struggle with having family, co-workers and friends that are gay, not as a way to be insulted.

Educate yourself. Do all your gay family members, co-workers and friends a favor and read the Massachusetts Supreme Court decision posted earlier in this thread.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
Re: uneducated
Debra_Law wrote:
cannistershot wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

You are uneducated.

Your question, should we allow same-sex marriages, is about as foolish as asking whether we should allow interracial marriages or witch burnings.

Your question ignores the basic concepts of our form of government with three branches and built-in checks and balances. Our government is not a pure democracy, it is a republic. The mob does not rule.

Quote:
I asked the question because it is one that I struggle with having family, co-workers and friends that are gay, not as a way to be insulted.

Educate yourself. Do all your gay family members, co-workers and friends a favor and read the Massachusetts Supreme Court decision posted earlier in this thread.

I'm sorry that you don't like the form of my question. Grow up and get over yourself!
0 Replies