College and Work too much responsibility

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:40 am
I work 35-40 hours a week. But I am not a "full-time" employee. Full time in our establishment is 30 hours a week or 60 hours a pay period but it's only availible in minimal packages plus I am a college student so they don't consider me for full time although I work more hours than the "full-time" staff. I work really crappy hours. I work 6-9 am and 2-10pm and 7-3 everyother weekend. Recently I worked an overnight shift because we only have two overnight staff and one got sick. Honestly I feel like I am being exploited. The other college students that I work with only work like 20 hours/wk if that. We get raises when the state gives us funding, since we are a non profit organization, so I really don't get that great of pay. I am considered one of the most responsible people in my work place out of the college students well that rep has just changed. I missed work this morning. OOPS. I'm thinking at this point it would be a blessing to get fired. I am also taking 18 credits in school which translates to 18 hours. So I am either at work or in school 50-60 hours a week. Put homework and study time on top of that. I devote about 75 hours a week to work and school which doesn't leave me much time for myself or anyone else. I cut back my hours for next semester but there won't be a next semester if I fail any of my classes because my parents said they will not support me. Is there ANYONE ELSE out there who is in this situation or can relate? Or does anyone else work at a non profit org and wanna discuss? THanks for your time. JAne
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 709 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Eva

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
That's too many work hours, jane. Have to talked to your employer about cutting back your hours? They should understand. If they don't, perhaps your college has an office that coordinates on-campus jobs (or off-campus) for students? Perhaps they can help you find something around 15-20 hrs./wk.

Also, have you spoken with your parents about your demanding work schedule? I'm sure they want you to put your studies first.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm
Jane,

I feel for you... I worked my way through school as well. I carried at least 15 credit hours a semester plus worked enough to pay for rent, food, car, achool supplies, etc.

It is worth it in the end. Just remember that school is more important than work, so if work is getting in the way then perhaps it is time to look for a different job.

I admire you for working as hard as you do... I think you will appreciate your education all that more. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies