Sprechen zie deutsch? Anyone? German paper endorses Bush!

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:03 am
I'm surprised to see that the Bild, which I've read has the largest circulation of any European newspaper, has endorsed George Bush!

The paper gives 10 reasons why Bush is the best choice:

1. Bush has clear priorities. He sees the inhuman Islamic fundamentalism and the murderous mullahs as the largest danger for the Western world.
2. Bush has learned the lessons of history. Military strength, not pleasant talk, is the only thing that helps against violent fanatics. And with Bush -- unlike with Kerry -- there is no doubt about this.

3. Under Bush, the US, as a superpower, will continue to bear the financial, military and casualty burden in the fight against terrorism in a "holy war" which Islamic fanatics unilaterally declared.

4. Along with fighting terror and the terrorists, a re-elected Bush will do everything he can to prevent nuclear proliferation. That is especially true with regard to the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea.

5. Bush has learned that America can defeat every country in war, but needs allies in peace. Thus, his second term will be characterized by cooperation with international partners. But he will not depend on how Syria or Libya vote at the UN.

6. Bush knows that Europe and Germany don't have the military at their disposal to become involved in any further foreign military engagements. Therefore he won't ask them for help. Kerry will do exactly that - and will further burden already damaged German-American relations.

7. Under Bush, America will remain a reliable partner for Israel in its fight for survival. That must especially be in our German interest.

8. Republicans have always been stronger supporters of free trade than Democrats. That is also true of Bush when compared to Kerry. And that is good for Germany as an export nation.

9. Every new American administration makes mistakes. Bush has already made his. Kerry, on the other hand, has of yet held no (executive) position in the government. He would be worse prepared than most Presidents preceding him.

10. With Bush, we know what to expect. With Kerry, nobody knows what he stands for and where he wants to lead America - and the world.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 4
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:09 am
Well, quantity doesn't stipulate quality, does it now?

I never read it, it's just trashy, populistic and belongs to the yellow press category.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
"Bild" is roughly equivalent to a cross between "The National Enquirer" and "People" magazine. Lots of gossipy stories about Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Rolf Schumacher, Boris Becker, etc., plus topless Page One Girls (in the UK, at least, they consign them to page three).* I'm not sure how "Bild's" endorsement comports with Bush's "family values" agenda.

*Click on the "Startseite" link to see today's model!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
I can only imagine the kind of emails they're getting on this story. :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
joefromchicago wrote:
"Bild" is roughly equivalent to a cross between "The National Enquirer" and "People" magazine. Lots of gossipy stories about Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Rolf Schumacher, Boris Becker, etc., plus topless Page One Girls (in the UK, at least, they consign them to page three). I'm not sure how "Bild's" endorsement comports with Bush's "family values" agenda.

The magazine might not comport with "family values," but Bush didn't ask for it's endorsement.

Mush like Kerry didn't ask for an endorsement from Yasser Arafat's PA, the Tehran Times, or China's state-controlled People's Daily "news",
0 Replies