Citing July Speech, I.R.S. Decides to Review N.A.A.C.P.

au1929

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:29 am
Citing July Speech, I.R.S. Decides to Review N.A.A.C.P.

By MICHAEL JANOFSKY

Published: October 29, 2004

ASHINGTON, Oct. 28 - The Internal Revenue Service has begun reviewing the tax-exempt status of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, citing concerns over a speech given by its chairman, Julian Bond, at its annual convention last July in Philadelphia.
In a letter dated Oct. 8 and released Thursday, the I.R.S. told the association it had received information that Mr. Bond conveyed "statements in opposition of George W. Bush for the office of presidency" and specifically that he had "condemned the administration policies of George W. Bush in education, the economy and the war in Iraq."

The letter reminded the association that tax-exempt organizations are legally barred from supporting or opposing any candidate for elective office.

Mr. Bond's speech on July 11 included a long section that sharply criticized the Republican Party, Mr. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney for their positions on an array of issues important to black Americans.

In an interview Thursday, Mr. Bond defended his remarks, saying they focused on policy, not politics.

"This is an attempt to silence the N.A.A.C.P. on the very eve of a presidential election," he said. "We are best known for registering and turning out large numbers of African-American voters. Clearly, someone in the I.R.S. doesn't want that to happen."

Link

I wonder why based on the same standards religious organizations are not faced with the loss of tax exemption.
The Church for instance has been selling the premise that Catholics who support abortion and stem cell research should not be elected officials. Churches all over the nation have one or the other candidates or their representatives visiting and spreading their gospel. If that is not showing bias and electioneering and in the case of the Catholic Church, religious blackmail, for candidates what is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 523 • Replies: 9
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:33 am
Simply put, the Catholic Church is not pointing at one candidate and saying don't vote for him. They are making a general statement about candidates. And it could be this is what the NAACP did. But if they were specifically pointing at this admin and saying don't vote for them, then it could be a violation of their tax exempt status.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:40 am
CR is exactly right. The problem is the identification of a particular candidate, and telling your members to vote for or against him or her. That will get you in trouble with the IRS rules and regs, whether you are the NAACP, a church, or any other 501(c)(3).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
If anyone can't see that the Catholic church is saying don't vote for Kerry they must be completely deaf dumb and blind
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:46 am
Well then the NAACP could play by the same rules, don't you agree.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:50 am
I think the the IRS going after the NAACP is politically motivated, bogus and promolgated by the republican white house.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
au1929 wrote:
I think the the IRS going after the NAACP is politically motivated, bogus and promolgated by the republican white house.

But that's not just rank partisan speculation, now is it?

(Boy, I'm dripping with sarcasm this morning. I think I need more coffee. Very Happy )
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:01 am
I understand your view AU. And I agree it is a very fine line that tax exempt organizations must walk. But they all need to understand where that line is drawn. You can advocate policy positions your organization supports (or does not support) but you cannot tell people who or who not to vote for because they don't have the same positions of your organization. It really is not rocket science here.

The NAACP needs to be held accountable just like any other tax exempt organization if (IF) they crossed the line. This is not political, it is legal.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:04 am
Not sure how I feel about the article, but I know that many churches actively further the cause of the Republicans and Bush specifically. Whether they explicitly endorse him, I don't know, but there is a very strong connection between churches in the south and the Republican party. Likewise, au is right that the Catholic church has been very vocal about its disaproval of Kerry. That doesn't mean that the NAACP is blameless, but we ought to be enforcing the tax-exempt status rules for everyone.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:37 am
I agree with you Free that the law should be enforced on all. Since I am not Catholic I have not followed what they have been saying, but from my limited knowledge, I do not think they have come out and said not to vote for Kerry. Or to vote for Bush. And the NAACP is free to do exactly what the Catholic Church has done. Urge voters to take into account the Church's (or the NAACP's) positions on the issues when deciding who to vote for.

Another thing to keep in mind. There is no law that says any private citizen cannot stand up and say he is voting a certain way and why. So a bishop can make such statements as long as it is not done from behind the pulpit during a church service. The NAACP speaker is free to do the same as long as it is not from a speakers platform at an organized NAACP event (and as long as he is not claiming his views represent the views of the NAACP).
0 Replies