The AARLC is predominantly Caucasian....!

PDiddie

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:18 pm
I searched for an active thread to place this, but didn't find any that were relevant. I thought about reactivating "affirmative action" or "If you think racism isn't part of the conservative mindset," but sometimes old threads should remain dead.

So I started anew, because this item is another example of some people thinking that something is wrong, while others are thinking, "where are the donuts":

(As usual, an excerpt follows, and a link is at the bottom:)

"The African American Republican Leadership Council does not appear to feature African Americans."

One priceless exchange:

(The reporter Gene Weingarten telephoned) Kevin L. Martin, the group's political spokesman. Kevin had been quoted in the media a great deal in December, offering the opinion that Trent Lott had been railroaded and should be forgiven. The honorary chairman of the panel is listed as former U.S. senator Edward W. Brooke III, a Republican from Massachusetts. In a previous call Senator Brooke confirmed the important fact that he is black.

Alas, he is not in any way associated with the group. He said he'd never heard of it and had no idea why his name was on the site.

However, he was only "honorary." Beneath his name were the names of the group's official 15-person Advisory Panel. It includes noted conservatives Paul Weyrich, Sean Hannity, Grover Norquist and Gary Bauer, all of whom are as white as a mashed potato and marshmallow sandwich on Wonder Bread. In fact, all but two of the 15 members of the Advisory Panel of the African American Republican Leadership Council are white.

And I was able to get on the line with one of the council's few African Americans. So, Kevin: Where are the black people?

"I'd like there to be more, but let's be honest, right now the Republican Party and African Americans have a large rift."

But how can you work toward getting more black leaders if the public face of your group seems to consist largely of white people? Is this any way to get black Republicans in Congress?

"What do we need black Republicans in Congress for?"

I did not expect that answer.

Below the Beltway
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,147 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:45 pm
Doesn't sound like the GOP is making much of an effort here. What about Condi Rice? She toes the Bush line; Colin Powell thinks a bit too independently sometimes...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 07:47 pm
"Colin Powell thinks a bit too independently sometimes..."
maybe true but maybe choregraphed as in the good cop-bad cop.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 08:24 pm
Are either of them even slightly potential Congressional candidates in the next few election cycles?

I didn't think so...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 08:56 pm
Absolutely priceless. I don't know how any Republicans can say things like "Our party is reaching out to African Americans" with a straight face.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:19 pm
snood: i dont understand why not, they kept a straight face telling us about "compassionate conservatism" and "uniter not a divider"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:50 pm
Shocked
0 Replies