Guernica Reproduction Covered at UN

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 09:35 pm
dys, if it weren't so pathetically true, this would be hilariously funny.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 09:42 pm
Dys, I guess this means that, after his stint as attorney general, Ashcroft will head up the NEA.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 05:49 pm
A press briefing at the UN on Iraq, notice how it is down the way from the painting!

http://a799.g.akamai.net/3/799/388/2d794d4f9ca34c/www.msnbc.com/news/1805134.jpg
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:31 pm
guernica
BillW, what do you mean by "down the way from"? One can see both the mural and the speak at the same time. Which is probably why it was covered.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:55 pm
JL -- Look at the direction the speaker is looking at. That's where the (TV) camera and the press are. The camera would see only the flags.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:07 pm
flag
Tartarin, Aha! Thanks.
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:10 pm
So why did they cover the mural?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:12 pm
guernica
aha, aha, I'm embarrassed, Kayla, by your logic.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 12:16 pm
Kayla, backhanded manuvers from the US government - the War Monger!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm

BTW, they use to do news conferences directly in front of the painting!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm

BTW, they use to do news conferences directly in front of the painting!

My guess is this picture was taken as a direct attempt to exhibit my point!
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:26 pm
Good point BillW I'm going to research old pix and see if the camera angles are the same or whatever. JN sometimes my logic embarrasses me too.
0 Replies

Bcorr

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:45 pm
steissd wrote:
But more than half of Americans support his policies...

Strange -- that's still true even though more than half also think the occupation is going very badly...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:04 pm
Welcome to A2k Bcoor and the Art Forum. It does seem that we, the US, are doing our best to create another Guernica in Iraq.

Every time the US drops one of those 500 pounders, targeted or not, I worry about what treasure is lost forever.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
truth
Treasure...like a human life?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:42 am
Yes JLN and Human history. There is so much in Arabia to treasure. I do not know if it was here at A2k or if I heard it on the radio but the speaker said, "there is no such thing as an Afghan just Kurds, Sunni, Pashtoon, etc."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:27 am
truth
That's true, Joanne. Afgan is probably an imposition just as in Mexico after the 1521 Conquest by Spain: Mixtecs, Maya (Tzotzil, Tzeltal, Chol, etc.), Aztecs, Tarascans, Totonacs, Zapotecs, and many other peoples were lumped into the imposed category of "Indians" (Indios, Indigenas).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:42 pm
Is this the art forum? Or the political forum?

Sorry. Prob'ly just feeling grouchy. Just got back from the lovely Big Island of Hawaii to the inhospitable chill of Boston; that'll make anyone grouchy.

Joanne and JL -- you're both right, of course. And it's not just Afghanistan and Mexico. (Actually, these last few posts are putting the discussion into the 'anthropology' category, not 'art' or 'politics.') Consider the fact that many Muslim countries where Arabic is spoken are not 'Arab' countries. Genuine Arabs are confined to the Arabian peninsula. Iraq was a Kurdish stronghold long before Arabic became the language of choice. Egyptians are in no sense Arabs; neither are full-blooded Syrians.

Don't know what that has to do with Guernica, Picasso or censorship, but these are intersting facts to consider.

(Come to that, the Spanish people are a mixture of Celts, Romans, Teutonic invaders, Arabs and Jews.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:55 pm
Well, they have to do with bombs not only killing people but the bombs and the general chaos being a threat to the world heritage that abounds in and I gather under Iraq... A subject that came up re the painting Guernica.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:07 am
Mornin MA you are not a grouch and artists are affected by politics and are often compelled to express there thoughts. in there work.
0 Replies