Guernica Reproduction Covered at UN

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 02:52 pm
Sorry can't link directly to the story, so you'll have to find it from the main page.
http://www.artdaily.com/news.asp?not=1&idn=2&fnot=2/2/2003

Excerpt
"NEW YORK.- The "Guernica" work by Pablo Picasso at the entrance of the Security Council of the United Nations has been covered with a curtain.
<snip>
A diplomat stated that it would not be an appropriate background if the ambassador of the United States at the U.N. John Negroponte, or Powell, talk about war surrounded with women, children and animals shouting with horror and showing the suffering of the bombings."

And they say irony is dead.

http://faculty.dwc.edu/wellman/GUERNICA.jpg

Yup if I was to ask for war this might throw me off my game. At least it's not a nude statue, oh the horrors
Buzz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,832 • Replies: 159
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 02:55 pm
Here's the direct link:

http://www.artdaily.com/noticiaframe.asp?not=11&fnot=2/2/2003
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:02 pm
A world gone mad over a work of art showing a world gone mad.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:05 pm
BTW,

Welcome Buzzcook -- if this is an example of the quality of the posts you intend for this site, I imagine pigs can fly!

I'm sending a link to this to my E mail list.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:16 pm
let me see, we had to cover the statue of the image of "liberty" at the halls of justice cause her boobs showed and now we have to cover an image of war cause we want to make a speech about war. i just gets more and more confused.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:19 pm
What's confusing about crass censorship. And I do mean crass.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:32 pm
Why don't we cover Negroponte instead and leave Guernica alone?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:44 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:51 pm
This might be one for cross posting, folks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:54 pm
Thanks, Mr. Wizard, for the invite.

Buzzcook, I never cared for this work by Picasso; I prefer his Blue period, but I am indeed indignant that this work of art was draped so as not to be a subliminal reminder. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Welcome to A2K and I love your Avatar... Laughing
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:59 pm
A flying pig? Something tells me, the pig won't make it off the ground!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 03:59 pm
Thanks for the heads-up to the thread, Wizard. And thank you, Buzzcook, for the thread. Myself, I am left speechless (an extremely rare condition).
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:32 pm
I am astonished by this experience! Where on earth are the educated and intelligent decision-makers at the UN! Was this a decision by a "staffer" or one made by the representative? I just have to dig deeper on this issue. It is possible that the draping was done just to satisfy prudish and hawkish US government administrators. The PURPOSE of the painting is to show the horrors of war! That is WHY the UN is involved in mediating to prevent war. So it is said...

My best friends toured Spain last year and saw the original. They were so moved that they bought me a pocket book about the work. I had never been much of a Picasso fan, and this work is not in my usual "Favorites" file in my mind for revisiting, but I had to look again due to the suggestion and source recommending. I was far more intrigued and impressed on closer viewing. And, I highly esteem use of the arts to remind humanity of the clashes that cause tragedies that may be avoided.

I almost wonder if this is like covering up something so no one will notice, and thereby, everyone notices? I personally would have had a BIG problem with the UN host within the USA borders, and showing the world how we censor to suit politics. Just like some other countries, eh?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:51 pm
eh!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:51 pm
Welcome aboard flying pig!
0 Replies

Trailertrash

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:03 pm
Guernica Reproduction Covered at UN
Embarrassed Absolutely nothing surprises me these days; embarasses me for all of us, but no surprises. Blatant crassness can be so much fun when properly used. It ain't funny when blatantly used to curtail freedoms.
0 Replies

Buzzcook

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:09 pm
I don't think old Pablo wanted people to "like" this work or any other from this period. There is something that makes our hind brain itch about the fractured planes of Guernica.
I think it is an example of where a subject and artist almost seem made for each other.
I've seen the reproduction at the UN. It dominated the space it was in. The light and the lantern in Guernica are as important as the tortured figures they illuminate.

Buzz

The pig only flys if you believe it flys
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:12 pm
Regarding your tagline, trailertrash, Isn't the quote supposed to be "man the rationalizing animal"? Makes a bit more sense.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:23 pm
There are some of us who suffer from fear of flying.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:33 pm
Guernica is an astounding statement about war and the reality of war. When I saw it at the MOMA I was transfixed by the reality of what it portrays and it is monochrome work in black, white, and shade of grey. It actually looks like how one of my uncle's described the Battle of the Bulge. It makes sense that the US would want it covered since if taken seriously Guernica is an accurate depiction of what war with Iraq will really be like.
0 Replies