Just a Reminder That You Are Being Played A Fool

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
Here's your reminder:

"From a marketing point of view, you don't introduce new products in August," White House Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. told the New York Times in September. Card was explaining what the Times characterized as a "meticulously planned strategy to persuade the public, the Congress, and the allies of the need to confront the threat from Saddam Hussein."

According to the New York Times, intensive planning for the "Iraq rollout" began in July. Bush advisers checked the Congressional calendar for the best time to launch a "full-scale lobbying campaign."

The Washington Post reported in July that the White House had created an Office of Global Communications (OGC) to "coordinate the administration's foreign policy message and supervise America's image abroad." In September, the Times of London reported that the OGC would spend $200 million for a "PR blitz against Saddam Hussein" aimed "at American and foreign audiences, particularly in Arab nations skeptical of US policy in the region." The campaign would use "advertising techniques to persuade crucial target groups that the Iraqi leader must be ousted."

"Information warfare" blurs the line between distributing factual information and psychological warfare.

More here: http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/2002Q4/war.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,857 • Replies: 25
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 12:01 pm
And even more proof it's all about "Product" rather than you or your family:

Homeland Security Disavows Document Touting Successes
Officials Say Agency's Public Relations Plan Was Not Approved

A Bush political appointee in the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection bureau drafted and distributed a public relations strategy designed to "change perception" about the nation's security by repeating the message, in the weeks leading up to the presidential election, that America is safer, according to internal government documents.

The "90-day Strategy" lays out a detailed media plan to "push information out," "maximize" the media and "brand" the border protection agency as a model of counterterrorism operations.

The document said the Customs and Border Protection agency should "repeat the message" that America is safer.

"Reassure the citizens of the United States," says the strategy, which was presented five weeks ago to public affairs officials for Customs and Border Protection regional offices around the country. "Repeat the message. . . . Repeat until we are completely exhausted by it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A7445-2004Oct28?language=printer
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
Just a Reminder That You Are Being Played A Fool

Every day in every way.

Solution? Always consider the source, do independent research, then draw your own conclusions.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 01:21 pm
Interesting...

Verbatims

The story I am about to tell may sound apocryphal but it is something that I actually overheard this morning, November 3, 2004 and 9:30 AM while waiting for my plane to board in Phoenix, AZ. There was a young man seated with his back to me shouting into this cellphone, "The numbers are just incredible. You won't believe this. I hardly believe it myself, but I saw it with my own eyes. There's never been verbatims even close to this. Wait until you see the Verbatims!" This being the morning after the election, before any concession, the topic piqued my curiosity. He continued. "The verbatims in Ohio, their just amazing. Dave (I think that was his name) will be sending out a memo to cover all this."

The fellow, a man in his late thirties, trim, with white shirt, but no tie, then moved himself to a different bench. But I moved myself closer and listened some more. "Our numbers are incredible. We did it! The verbatims are so high! 'They' had nothing. The only thing was something from Moveon up in Wisconsin. That had a little traction. But 'they' were nowhere. But ours kept coming up. Especially, 'Swiftboat, and ____ and ____."

I couldn't catch the other two items, nor am I sure of his boss' name. However, it was now obvious to me what he was talking about. He went over to another man and I could hear him saying similar things about incredibly high verbatims. My curiosity even more aroused, I actually followed him as he went to an adjacent gate to board. The sign at the gate said, "Washington, DC."

Still hoping for some last shred of good news I went over to a TV monitor and there was a flash on CNN, "Kerry concedes."

If we want to know why it is that we lost, in spite of an array of endorsements and a continuous stream of bad news for Bush, here it is, provided by the enemy in at the core of its operations. It's the verbatims!

This is a bitter lesson. We failed on the verbatims. We spent a roughly equivalent amount in advertising, but in spite of Bush's clear disadvantages, it wasn't enough. The difference is that we have failed to infiltrate the verbal mindset. Most likely this is all about exit poll data. It's about reasons for voting that are verbatim quotes from TV ads. But if we're wondering what went wrong on November 2, 2004, we have it from the highest authority: our verbatims barely registered.

With all the artistic and media talent that the Democrats could bring to bear, the best we managed to do is just to put them out there. We had concerts, we had fund raisers, we had phone banks and canvassing. But passion is not enough in this day and age. Politics is not about Political Science, History, or even being right. It's about the art of advertising. And on this score, the rating of our advertising is hardly on the chart.

The key to victory is to learn from our mistakes.

Its not about any one man, the "evil genius" of Karl Rove or any one person or even organization. These people have zeroed in on the key factors of media management. If we're not looking at the Verbatims to see if people exiting the polls actually parrot certain advertisements as their own reasons for voting one way or another, we're not doing our job. But even if we are. We need to do a whole lot more to catch up.

Further implications

My source seems to be saying that this election was unprecedented. In what way was it unprecedented: In popular vote margin? No! In regional sweep? No! In the clarity of issues? I don't think so. How many Bush supporters expected that his first move would be to overhaul Social Security. I'd doubt he'd have won on that! THE BIG NEWS HERE IS THAT HE WON ON THE VERBATIMS. In other words, he had an unprecedented turnout of people parroting the words in his advertisements.

Why were the verbatims so high. Obviously, the GOP already knows something about exit polling for verbatim quotation of their advertising. They ask the voter how did you vote and why did you vote that way. When the reason pops up as a verbatim quote from an ad, that's considered a hit. Apparently, there have never been verbatim hits even close to this in their previous polling. Even these insiders find it hard to believe. So what was different about this election? We don't know the answer (though the GOP may). Was there something unusual about the ads? Subliminal messages? A new production technique? THESE THINGS NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED - AND FAST!!

In 1966 Bob Dylan said, "Something is happening here and you don't know what it is. Do you Mr. Jones." Well, we can ask the same thing now of all those who thought the case against Bush was so air-tight. But we don't know what's happening here - do we? The best way to find out is to realize that there is a mystery to resolve. It's not a matter of assuming the other side's positions as being "somehow right." We need to trust our own judgment, and we need to ask, "What happened to make the judgment of so many Americans on November 2, 2004, so horribly faulty."

There is another disturbing implication here. Regardless of the push polling techniques, the possibility of fraud, of tampering with unverifiable touch screen devices, there is an ugly fact here. An overwhelming portion of the United States electorate have been turned into automatons and parrots. They are not thinking for themselves but they are letting what is coming out of the television do they're thinking for them. The situation is too urgent to try to change the culture, but we have to focus on what we are dealing with.

Most important of all: We are in a new political game. Politics is not a matter of following the law, but of influencing opinion. The defeat of Gore/Clinton's BTU tax and Hillary's aborted medical task force (Harry and Louise), teach us that political advertising is no longer a seasonal profession. If we want to save Social Security and stop our tax code from turning into a banana republic system of exploitation we need to start advertising effectively now. It's the verbatims stupid!

Philip Richman

[email protected]
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 08:27 pm
I find all of this very very frightening. The Bushies repeated lies over and over and over again, and the voters bought it.

I don't watch TV much anyway, and live in a solidly red state, so we didn't have much advertising here. But while in Florida during the campaign I saw a TV ad in which Bush vowed to keep the jobs "in America where they belong." This is the same guy who said earlier, "outsourcing is good for America."

I'm sure most of you have seen the statistics about the percentage of Republican voters who believe that WMDs have been found in Iraq, who believe that a definite tie between Saddam Hussein and al Quaeda has been proven, etc., etc. (I could probably find that source if need be, but don't have time to go looking right now.)

I find this, as I said before, very, very frightening. The general public is being brainwashed--and is LIKING it.

Something that frightens me even more, if possible, is the suggestion that in the future Democrats would do well to "dumb down" their appeals.

And we want to export democracy? Our recent history is, in my opinion, excellent reason to reconsider democracy's merits (and weak spots, such as the tyranny of the majority).

Squinney's speculations on subliminal advertising are chilling. The fact that rational people in America are in a position to even consider whether such speculations are true, knowing that indeed it is possible that they are, is an indication that this country is in deep trouble.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:10 pm
Hi, JanW. I've seen your posts on a couple of other threads and want to take this opportunity to welcome you to A2K.

Most of us here are aware of the "outsourcing is good for America" quote from Bush. Many (51%???) evidently do not care, or agree with him. Either way, not a good thing, IMO.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:30 am
It is disturbing that a candidate can win the Presidency by doing nothing but lying, smearing and appealing to the irrational fears of the electorate.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:47 am
Harper wrote:
It is disturbing that a candidate can win the Presidency by doing nothing but lying, smearing and appealing to the irrational fears of the electorate.

I thought Kerry lost the election?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 09:37 am
Nice try McG, but there's just no contest. The party that stooped the lowest in this election was clearly the winner.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:26 am
And it continues:

http://www.opednews.com/wade_051105_coffee_qaeda.htm

No More Coffee for Bin Laden; Cynicism, the GOP Disinformation Machine, and the USA's worthless Mainstream Media.

By Anthony Wade

www.OpEdNews.com

The news came out two weeks ago. The Bush White House got busted when they decided to stop publishing an annual report on international terrorism after the government's top terrorism center concluded that there were more terrorist attacks in 2004 than in any year since 1985, the first year the publication covered such data. After five years of blustering and posturing from the cowboy in the Oval Office, he has managed to make the terrorism problem worse than it has ever been, in 19 years. Not exactly the press Bush was looking for....

...If you followed the GOP disinformation machine, you could have sworn this was the third most lethal man on the planet. Many hailed this as proof of progress in the failed war on terror. Bush wasted no time, milking the moment:

"Al-Libbi is a top general for bin Laden. He was a major facilitator and a chief planner for the al Qaeda network. His arrest removes a dangerous enemy who was a direct threat to America and to those who love freedom."

Well, not so fast Georgie. It turns out that this was not the third in command of Al Qaeda. In fact, intelligence experts referred to Libby as a middle-ranker derided by one source as "among the flotsam and jetsam" of the organization. Hmm, that is quite different than what we were told now isn't it? I mean Libbi was described a "critical victory in the war on terror" and "major breakthrough in the hunt for Osama bin Laden". Now, it sounds like Libbi was no closer to bin Laden than lets say, we are.

No, it turns out that Libby was not even on the FBI most wanted list, nor on the State Department's "Rewards for Justice" program. Strange for such a top guy, no? It has now been reported by a former close associate of Bin Laden living in London: "What I remember of him is he used to make the coffee and do the photocopying." Ok, apparently we caught, Al Qaeda's clerk. A senior FBI official has now admitted that, al-Libbi's "influence and position may have been overstated". Do you think?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:33 am
Cheer up, it's not all bad, now they'll have to find someone else to make the tea Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:34 am
And now we all know the Iraq invasion was a lie, though I'm sure there are some still unable to accept they were being played a fool:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-memogate12may12,0,7919946,print.story?coll=la-home-headlines
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:35 am
McGentrix wrote:
Harper wrote:

I thought Kerry lost the election?

Do you think that Bush has always been 100% truthful McG?
This is not a pot shot, nor another bush is God supporter accusation...just curious if there has ever been an occasion when you have felt the administration lied or misled?
...and do you think that the current campaign climates make any political statements, or are they just veering away from what they stand for by pointing out what the other doesn't?
I found the 2004 election campaign to be an embarassment for American democracy on both ends of the stick.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 07:12 am
http://democrats.reform.house.gov/IraqOnTheRecord/pdf_admin_iraq_on_the_record_rep.pdf
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:48 am
Philip Richman wrote:
Why were the verbatims so high. Obviously, the GOP already knows something about exit polling for verbatim quotation of their advertising. They ask the voter how did you vote and why did you vote that way. When the reason pops up as a verbatim quote from an ad, that's considered a hit. Apparently, there have never been verbatim hits even close to this in their previous polling. Even these insiders find it hard to believe. So what was different about this election? We don't know the answer (though the GOP may). Was there something unusual about the ads? Subliminal messages? A new production technique? THESE THINGS NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED - AND FAST!!

There is no proof that subliminal advertising works. If the GOP had a more successful advertising campaign, it's just possible that was because it was better than the competition's.

Philip Richman wrote:
There is another disturbing implication here. Regardless of the push polling techniques, the possibility of fraud, of tampering with unverifiable touch screen devices, there is an ugly fact here. An overwhelming portion of the United States electorate have been turned into automatons and parrots. They are not thinking for themselves but they are letting what is coming out of the television do they're thinking for them. The situation is too urgent to try to change the culture, but we have to focus on what we are dealing with.

That's not an "ugly fact." That's a hallmark of democracy. Or, to put it in Microsoft terms, that's not a flaw, that's a feature.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:08 am
Not being completely feebleminded, I already had one or two thoughts of my own before Bush ran for president, and have voted for him twice because he says things that I already believe. I was hoping he would invade Iraq, and am gratified that he did.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:12 am
squinney wrote:
And now we all know the Iraq invasion was a lie, though I'm sure there are some still unable to accept they were being played a fool:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-memogate12may12,0,7919946,print.story?coll=la-home-headlines

I am unaware of any lie. So he wisely wanted to invade Iraq, but let the lesser measures run their course first. Big deal.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:48 am
Told ya so. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

not2know

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:36 pm
http://www.toppun.com/anti-Bush/funny_anti_bush_pictures/I_am_Not_a_Liar_Wait_I_can_now_smell_my_pants_on_fire_Bush_lies_Pinocchio_Bush_small1.gif
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:26 am
Quote:
News release quotes from unidentified Iraqis are virtually the same

Sunday, July 24, 2005; Posted: 5:13 p.m.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The U.S. military on Sunday said it was looking into how virtually identical quotations ended up in two of its news releases about different insurgent attacks.

...Sunday's news release said: "'The terrorists are attacking the infrastructure, the ISF and all of Iraq. They are enemies of humanity without religion or any sort of ethics. They have attacked my community today and I will now take the fight to the terrorists,' said one Iraqi man who preferred not to be identified."

The July 13 news release said: "'The terrorists are attacking the infrastructure, the children and all of Iraq,' said one Iraqi man who preferred not to be identified. 'They are enemies of humanity without religion or any sort of ethics. They have attacked my community today and I will now take the fight to the terrorists.'"

CNN News

And the Pentagon admitting the press releases were just made up stuff to make it sound as if the Iraqi's were also getting fed up with insurgents and ready to start fighting for their country themselves... Or something like that.

Quote:
U.S. military admits error in news releases
Statements had similar quotes from 'unidentified Iraqi'

Monday, July 25, 2005 Posted: 2038 GMT (0438 HKT)

BAGHDAD (CNN) -- The U.S. military expressed regret Monday for issuing news releases about two separate attacks in Iraq that included almost identical quotes attributed to an unidentified Iraqi.

In both statements, the military quoted an Iraqi calling the attackers "enemies of humanity" and vowing to "take the fight to the terrorists," the latter an expression President Bush frequently has used in speeches.

In the first news release, issued after a July 13 Baghdad bombing that killed mostly youngsters, an unidentified Iraqi spoke of terrorists attacking "the children."

In the second release, sent out after an attack Sunday near a police station in the capital, an unidentified Iraqi referred to strikes on "the ISF," or Iraqi Security Forces.

Task Force Baghdad with the Army's 3rd Infantry Division released both statements.

After the media contacted officials Sunday on the similarities, the military reissued the latest release without the quote.

"Task Force Baghdad Public Affairs regrets the confusion regarding two press releases issued in support of our operations July 24," said a statement Monday.

Although not referring to the quote in Sunday's release, it said there was "a draft press release which, due to an administrative error, was mistakenly issued on behalf of the 3rd Infantry Division."

Lt. Col. Clifford Kent, spokesman for the 3rd Infantry Division, also spoke Sunday of an "administrative error."

Kent did not explain why the quote apparently was changed to apply to the latest attack.

They are so brazen as to attribute the quote to the second incident, which makes no sense. If the quote were to remain, it obviously would have gone with the first "story." But, they don't even worry about trying to make the propaganda look right.

What's that say about how they view us?
0 Replies