NEW SCARE ALERT!!!

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:43 pm
Just heard on the news that there is a new video tape warning of attacks on US soil. Person has head covered, but supposedly the voice is native English.

Home Grown? But tape was obtained through foreign source.

Will see what I can find online to link to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,730 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:51 pm
ABC is supposedly holding the tape of it.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:53 pm
http://www.drudgereport.com/abct.htm
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:55 pm
What a nuisance!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:57 pm
I heard it on CNN and MSNBC and they both said it was in the hands of the government who is currently analyzing it. Said it might be some Adam somebody that they think trained with Al Qaeda and is now back stateside, but they do not know yet.

Nothing on CNN online yet.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:06 pm
MSNBC has the story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6345734/
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:27 pm
The CIA is unable to authenticate a videotape in which a man claiming to be an al-Qaida terrorist warns of devastating new attacks on the United States, a senior U.S. intelligence official told NBC News on Wednesday.

The existence of the tape was first reported Wednesday afternoon by Internet columnist Matt Drudge, who said it was obtained last weekend in Pakistan by ABC News. Drudge quoted an unidentified "senior ABC News source" as saying the network was "working 24 hours a day trying to authenticate" it.

But the senior intelligence official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told NBC News that "we can't authenticate" the tape, a copy of which ABC gave the CIA on Monday. He would not elaborate, adding, "I think that is where we are going to stand."

Why would the government get a copy rather than the original? Couldn't they fingerprint and analyze the original for more info?

And, why would ABC not be in trouble for holding and analyzing it for a couple of days before getting a copy to the CIA?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:32 pm
no matter if the tape is a fraud or a triple red alert genuine emergency bush would not allow anything to be brought out in the media that might jeopardize his reelection at the eleventh hour.....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:32 pm
Interesting...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:03 pm
Scary stuff!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
THE EFFECTS OF GOVERNMENT-ISSUED TERROR WARNINGS ON PRESIDENTIAL APPROVAL RATINGS

CONCLUSION

The present research sought to evaluate whether the threat of terrorism increases support for standing leaders. To test this idea I investigated Gallup poll data on presidential approval to see if it increased following government-issued terror warnings. I found consistent evidence supporting the hypothesis that government-issued terror warnings led to increases in President Bush's approval levels. Further, I found evidence that the threat of terror may lead to more positive evaluations of the president on a dimension largely irrelevant to terrorism, his handling of the economy. I was unable to establish how long these effects typically last. I leave that question, and further exploration of the empirical regularities observed, to future research.

CURRENT RESEARCH IN SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY
AN ELECTRONIC JOURNAL

University of Iowa

Publication Date: September 30, 2004
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
ul, Thanks for that article. As I read through this thread by squinney, I realized that this is another tactic of subterfuge. Doesn't make any difference whether Peter Jennings airs it or not, now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
Let's see - it's all coming to fruition as promised here some months ago by a number of posters. Increased terror threats immediately prior to the election ... all we need now is the revelation of the discovery/killing/whatever of Osama BL.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:31 pm
Exactly, ehBeth. Let's just hope that the American people have enough damn sense to see through this charade. It really doesn't make any difference what one's politics is. I have crossed over several times, but not this time.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
Whether the tape is a real threat or not, which I guess we will eventually find out, I still find it odd that a news organization would be allowed to keep the original and provide a copy to the CIA.

I'm not passing judgement on its authenticity or possible political purpose without more info. Will see how it plays out over the next 24 hours. May be a Rove play, or may be some sicko getting his jollies. (Or, are those one and the same?)

Sorry couldn't pass up the obvious opportunity.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:41 pm
yes dear, a definite crime of abundant opportunity.....
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:31 pm
'it's all coming to fruition as promised here some months ago by a number of posters'

After seeing what happened in Spain prior to their election, I'd hardly call such a prediciton any real meausure of clairvoyance.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:34 pm
Letty wrote:
Exactly, ehBeth. Let's just hope that the American people have enough damn sense to see through this charade. It really doesn't make any difference what one's politics is. I have crossed over several times, but not this time.

Ok this is stupid but I can't resist, did you cross over with John Edwards?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:11 pm
Very Happy Loved that, cannister. I do think it timely that John Edwards and John Edward are concurrent.

Sorry for the comedy relief, Squinney.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:57 pm
No problem, Letty. We need it.
0 Replies