Another October Surprise!

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=17&u=/afp/20041027/ts_alt_afp/us_vote_hawaii

WOW!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 859 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
Quote:
A Honolulu Advertiser survey of 600 likely voters on Saturday put the two candidates almost even in Hawaii, with 43.3 percent backing Bush against 42.6 percent for Kerry, with 12 percent undecided.

The poll was conducted between October 13-18 and had a margin of error of around four percentage points.

The shock to Democratic party faithful here only worsened Sunday when a Honolulu Star-Bulletin and KITK-TV survey showed Bush ahead by 46 percent to 45 for Kerry, compared to August when Kerry had a seven point lead.

That poll of 612 likely voters was carried out between October 17-20 and had a margin of error of around four points.

In the 2000 election, Bush also appeared to surge in Hawaii in the closing days of the campaign, but ended up with only 37 percent of the vote -- a local landslide for Democratic candidate Al Gore (news - web sites).

Emphasis mine. So maybe it's just, like, people who are bored with polls coming up with new answers? Who knows. Doesn't sound like it's over by a long shot though.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:48 am
I know, Soz. Polls are stuff that errors are made of, but that sorta took me by surprise. Takes the heat off Florida, however.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 08:51 am
We only have 4 electoral votes, so even if the republicans win, it won't exactly tip the election... But yeah, there are a lot more republican voters here than there used to be, haoles who moved over from the mainland... and there are a lot of frustrated green party supporters who may not vote... It's possible this state will go republican this election, but not nearly as likely as Ohio...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:12 am
Hey, princess. I didn't know that you were from Hawaii. Another surprise.
Well, we shall see what we shall see.

Aside: What are haoles?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
Letty
Letty, Haoles are non-native Hawaiians. There is a lot of friction between the Haoles and the immigrants these days.

BBB
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
Thanks, BBB. I suppose there are very few of the original Hawaiians that are still in the islands.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm
Haoles aren't just non-native hawaiians... they are people from the mainland generally of caucasian descent. Literally it means "no breath," and refers to the way missionaries fed their babies: not from their mouth to the babies, which just seemed odd to the hawaiian natives... There are still many part-hawaiian people. Just not many who are more than 50% hawaiian...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:52 pm
Haoles - more or less pronounced as howl eee.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
Thanks, princess. I remember vividly having read Michner's Hawaii, the first and best of his books, I think. It was as though he put history into poetic form, especially his introduction of how the islands were formed.

Hey, Rog. Where you been? Somewhere, way back, I recall that since the Hawaiian language consisted of so many vowels, that each was pronounced. Somehow, Hay o le came to mind.

Folks, this is one form of side tracking that I love.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:03 pm
ha = breath
aole = no, not, bad
haole = white person

pronounced the way roger said, but I would have said it ha-o-le w/the e pronounced like a long a and the space between the a and o only little bit, so almost "how" but not quite. :wink:

The story is that god breathed life into Hawaii, (ha-wai-i) and to have no breath makes you suspect of being not from god and also unblessed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:29 pm
Inhaling, princess. Once on another thread, long ago, I posted this song. Tell me if it is Hawaiian. (hey, I can do this. It's my thread and a definite reprieve from politics)

Now is the hour when we must say goodbye.
Soon you'll be sailing far across the sea.
While you're away, oh, then, remember me.
When you return, you'll find me waiting here.
Sunset glow fades in the west. Night o'er the valley is creeping.
Birds cuddle down in their nest, soon all the world will be sleeping.
Now is the hour when we must goodbye.
Soon you'll be sailing far across the sea.
While you're away, oh, then, remember me.
When you return, you'll find me waiting here.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:47 pm
http://www.squareone.org/Hapa/n2.html

Quote:
Now is the hour
When we must say goodbye
Soon you'll be sailing
Far across the sea

While you're away
Then remember me
When you turn
You find me waiting here

http://www.golyr.de/songtext_94587.htm

Quote:
Now is the hour
When we must say goodbye.
Soon you'll be sailing
Far across the sea.

While you're away
Oh, then, remember me.
When you return
You'll find me waiting here.

Sunset glow fades in the west.
Night o'er the valley is creeping.
Birds cuddle down in their nest
Soon all the world will be sleeping.

Now is the hour
When we must goodbye.
Soon you'll be sailing
Far across the sea.

While you're away
Oh, then, remember me.
When you return
You'll find me waiting here.

Found that one on a german site... apparently Bing Crosby sang it... I haven't heard either, I'm afraid. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:06 pm
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 05:33 pm
Mahalo. Thank you. I love Queen Lilioukalani! SHe is one of my most favorite monarchs!
0 Replies