CBS, the Kerry campaign, and dirty politics

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:01 am

I would be interested to see, and challenge Ticomaya, to find one, just one, out of all of squinney's posts that apologizes for Saddam Hussein.....just one.......c'mon.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
bush detractor= Saddam sympathizer......

Oh to travel through life unburdened by complicated thoughts and thought processes........a blessing indeed.....
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:28 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
bush detractor= Saddam sympathizer......

Oh to travel through life unburdened by complicated thoughts and thought processes........a blessing indeed.....[/quote

Oh never mind, you left yourself wide open.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:38 pm
Now, now, Boys!

Ticomaya posted:

The missing explosives from al Qaqaa also raise the possibility that other WMD-related materials met the same fate. The IAEA had seen the al Qaqaa material in January 2003, but by the time U.S. troops showed up on April 10, they had disappeared....

What happened to the April 4 date when our troops DID see them at al Qaqaa?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:49 pm
squinney wrote:
Now, now, Boys!

Ticomaya posted:

The missing explosives from al Qaqaa also raise the possibility that other WMD-related materials met the same fate. The IAEA had seen the al Qaqaa material in January 2003, but by the time U.S. troops showed up on April 10, they had disappeared....

What happened to the April 4 date when our troops DID see them at al Qaqaa?

When the 3rd ID arrived on April 4, 2003, they found explosives, but not the HMX & RDX that are primarily at issue.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:10 pm
I still like what Rush had to say about the idea of 400 tons of this stuff having been "looted". Has anybody here ever actuallly tried to loot 400 tons of anything? That's just really hard...

The basic reality is that the stuff got hauled off to Syria in 18 wheelers while Hans Blix, the UN, and the democrats were doing their delay routine.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
gungasnake wrote:
I still like what Rush had to say about the idea of 400 tons of this stuff having been "looted". Has anybody here ever actuallly tried to loot 400 tons of anything? That's just really hard...

The basic reality is that the stuff got hauled off to Syria in 18 wheelers while Hans Blix, the UN, and the democrats were doing their delay routine.

I suspect you are right.

I found an interesting blog for some perspective here.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
October 27 2004 at 04:06PM

Iraq joins the fray over missing explosives

By Sam Dagher

Baghdad - A top Iraqi science official said on Wednesday that it was impossible that 350 tons of high explosives could have been smuggled out of a military site south of Baghdad before the regime fell last year.

He warned that explosives from nearby sites could have also been looted.

The United Nations nuclear watchdog this week said the explosives went missing from a weapons dump some time after Saddam Hussein's regime was toppled in April 2003 by the United States-led invasion.

But as the issue took centre stage in the final days of the US presidential campaign, some US officials have suggested the explosives had gone before the US-led forces moved on Baghdad.

The Pentagon has said it did not know when the explosives went missing.

Mohammed al-Sharaa, who heads the science ministry's site monitoring department and worked with UN weapons inspectors under Saddam, said "it is impossible that these materials could have been taken from this site before the regime's fall".

He said he and other officials had been ordered a month earlier to insure that "not even a shred of paper left the sites".

"The officials that were inside this facility (al-Qaqaa) beforehand confirm that not even a shred of paper left it before the fall and I spoke to them about it and they even issued certified statements to this effect which the US-led coalition was aware of."

He said officials at al-Qaqaa, including its general director, whom he refused to name, made contact with US troops before the fall in an effort to get them to provide security for the site.

The regime's fall triggered a wave of looting of government and private property, which US-led troops struggled to contain as they were busy securing their own positions.

Sharaa warned that other sites close to al-Qaqaa with similar materials could have also been plundered.

"The al-Milad company in Iskandariyah and the Yarmuk and Hateen facilities contained explosive materials that could have also been taken out," he told reporters.

Al-Qaqaa is near Latifiyah, 30km south of Baghdad. The bulk of materials in question include HMX (high melting point explosive) and RDX (rapid detonation explosive), which can be used in major bombing attacks, making missile warheads and detonating nuclear weapons.

The area in Babil province, which includes the towns of Iskandariyah and Mahmudiyah, used to be the centre of Saddam's military-industrial complex.

It is now one of the most dangerous parts of the country, and is rife with crime, kidnappings and attacks.

"It may be already too late to salvage many of these sites, which are controlled by bandits and beyond the control of Iraqi forces," warned Sharaa.

Science Minister Omar Rashad sent a letter on October 10 to the International Atomic Energy Agency sounding the alarm about the explosives in al-Qaqaa.

Sharaa said the letter was sent after repeated warnings and inquiries by the IAEA over the disappearance of so-called duel-use nuclear material, which could be used for either conventional or nuclear means.

"Normally we should be overseeing all sites but these responsibilities were stripped away from us under the coalition authority," he said.

The ministry was only handed oversight responsiblities of two sites - al-Tuwaitha and al-Wardiya - after authority was transferred from the coalition to the interim government in June.

Sharaa refused to put a number on the sites with dangerous materials but said that many include hospitals, schools and factories that are now under the control of various ministries.

Some Iraqi officials have estimated the number at 200.

"It is very serious if these materials fall into the wrong hands, because they will be used to kill Iraqis," Muwaffaq al-Rubaiye, a special advisor to Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's government, warned Tuesday

Rubaiye, formerly national security advisor, warned in July that materials to make so-called dirty bombs might already be in the hands of militant groups like that of Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi, believed to be al-Qaeda's frontman in Iraq.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:52 pm
Well, more speculation.

How comforting that the guy who "worked with UN weapons inspectors under Saddam" isn't admitting to any shenanigans on his watch. And as long as we have "certified statements" from people at al Qaqaa, I think that pretty well puts this matter to bed. Bush is to blame.

[/sarcasm]
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:12 pm
mikey wrote:
A Lone Voice,,,, you should post this nonsensense in the Fairy Tale thread. Are you right-winger's blind or just suicidal?

Thank you for that deep, insightful response. Your hard work in digging up and posting facts to counter my argument must have taken you hours.

Typical lib: call someone a name, declare victory, and slink away.....
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:21 pm
A Lone Voice wrote:
mikey wrote:
A Lone Voice,,,, you should post this nonsensense in the Fairy Tale thread. Are you right-winger's blind or just suicidal?

Thank you for that deep, insightful response. Your hard work in digging up and posting facts to counter my argument must have taken you hours.

Typical lib: call someone a name, declare victory, and slink away.....

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 03:21 pm
kickycan wrote:
A Lone Voice wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Damn that CBS and their low blow politics.....you'd think they were a Sinclair Broadcasting station....

My point exactly, Bear. Sinclair is a media conglomerate controlled by conservatives who are bent on pushing a Rebuplican agenda.

Just, as you point out, CBS is on the other side.

Thank you for helping me to make my point. Smile

So you're saying that this TRUE story is less important than the fact there is media bias.

That is amazing.

Nope. I'm pointing out to Bear that he backed my original assertion that individuals at CBS are probably working with the Kerry campaign to get him elected.

Like a said in my other post, I'm sure CBS didn't use that same liberal, Democratic Party operative producer who passed the forged documents over to the Kerry Campaign, as she is probably on their version of admin leave.

Which shows that CBS is just crawling with her types.....

Why is it libs can point to a lightweight media source like Sinclair and yell foul, but if we point out irregularities at CBS we are sneered upon?
0 Replies