A2K Fantasy Baseball

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2019 06:35 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
PM'd my team name to you RJB.

I think I figured out which team you are. My team is the Ticomaniacs!!!. RJB's team name is the Tico Terminators ... which is cute, and outrageously optimistic.

If you look on the League page, and look at "Recent Transactions," you can see that earlier today RJB (Tico Terminators) dropped Scooter Gennett, who is presently injured ("DTD" means he is injured and "day to day"). As I recall (going off memory here), if a player is DTD they cannot be put on your team's DL list. Only if Scooter's real life team put him on the real life DL list, could RJB have put him on his fantasy DL list.

If you click on the yellow icon just to the right of the DTD, that will show recent stats and news for that player. Looks like Scooter is going to miss 2-3 months due to a groin strain, so RJB kicked him off of his team. He is undoubtedly planning to pick up another player off waivers. He could have dropped Scooter at the time of the waiver pickup, as part of that waiver transaction, or he can drop him now. Either way works the same, really. To drop a player you go to your team's page, and look for the "Drop Player" button.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2019 06:38 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
If you are matched against Tico in week 1, you need to insult, nay, I mean trash talk him. ...

I don't feel the need to trash talk RJB. I let my teams do the talking. Also, the eagle does not hunt flies, as they say. Cool

RJB is jealous because he has never won the Gold in fantasy baseball. I think he is also jealous of my historical winning record (165-128-26 to his measly 131-166-21).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2019 07:05 pm
George, I just noticed that "Max Acquisitions per Week:" is set to "3" this year. Is this intentional? I don't remember what the setting was last year, but I thought it was higher, like "6." My preference would be to set it to 6, if we can ... or some number higher than 3. (At least for this week. I need to try and fix my team!) Unless there is some opposition, my request would be that the Commish make that change.

Also, "Min innings pitched per team per week:" is set to "20" this year. What was it last year?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2019 07:12 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. (what's new).

If your team is the one I think it is, you have a player with a "Not Active" designation. This means that player is not playing for a MLB team, and is playing in the "minor leagues." He won't accumulate any stats for your fantasy team until he is on a MLB team. This doesn't mean you need to drop him. Our league allows each team to place one player on the "NA" slot, which frees up a roster spot for an active player, until that NA starts playing for his MLB team. Once that happens, you can drop a player, and move that formerly NA player to an active roster position. (Note, Yahoo won't let you make any other transactions if you have a player in an NA slot who is no longer NA in real life, until you take that player out of the NA slot. This means you cannot pick up a player from FA or W until you do this. This is also true for the DL slot.)

Also, you have quite a few currently listed as "Day-to-day." Several will likely be put on the DL list by their respective MLB teams when the season starts. As I said before, each fantasy team has a couple of DL roster spots, but you may have more DL players than available DL slots. In that case, you need to decide whether to ride out that player's injury with them on your roster, or cut them, and pick up a different player. Up to you.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 06:55 am
@Ticomaya,
Thanks for your help in teaching Euro the basics, Tico.
Now for a really tough one, Mr Smartypants. Explain the difference betwixt a hold and a save.
George

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 07:52 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
George, I just noticed that "Max Acquisitions per Week:" is set to "3"
this year. Is this intentional? I don't remember what the setting was last
year, but I thought it was higher, like "6." My preference would be to set it
to 6, if we can ... or some number higher than 3. (At least for this week. I
need to try and fix my team!) Unless there is some opposition, my request
would be that the Commish make that change.

Also, "Min innings pitched per team per week:" is set to "20" this
year. What was it last year?

This was the result of requests made at the site. I'll see if Rhys can raise
the number.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 09:22 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Thanks for your help in teaching Euro the basics, Tico.
Now for a really tough one, Mr Smartypants. Explain the difference betwixt a hold and a save.

Both of these are stats earned by a RP.

To earn a "Save," a RP must come into the game with his MLB ahead in the score, but by no more than 3 runs, and they must pitch a full inning. Or a RP can get a save if they come into the game with the tying run on base, up at bat, or on-deck (next to hit). The RP who gets the most saves for his MLB team is called the "closer."

A "Hold" is given to a RP who enters a game in a "Save" situation, but they don't earn a Save, and instead they leave the game an another RP comes in ("closer") and gets the save. These types of RP's are called a "set-up man." They often enter in the 7th or 8th innings, and the "closer" comes in for the 9th inning. They help with the Hold category in fantasy baseball, and usually with WHIP, ERA, and K (strikeouts).
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 12:25 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thanks Tico and RJB.

I'll be on a learning curve for a while (the whole season) but I'll get there in the end.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see two frenemies like yourselves come together to help out a fellow leaguer.

Let's hope you don't live to regret it as I progress to become baseball overlord......

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 01:14 pm
@George,
I see that Rhys, the grandest commissioner, has raised the max acquisitions to 6!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 01:47 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
Let's hope you don't live to regret it as I progress to become baseball overlord......
No idle boast.
I have seen him mercilessly plunder and pillage the EPL Fantasy League.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 03:09 pm
@George,
George wrote:
eurocelticyankee wrote:
No idle boast.
I have seen him mercilessly plunder and pillage the EPL Fantasy League.

Yeah, but this isn't footy, George. This is hardball!!
George

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 08:41 am
@Ticomaya,
After week 1, the rookie is in first place.
Congrats, eurocelticyankee!

Now it's up to Frozen Rope to take you down a peg or two.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 08:58 am
@George,
Quote:
the rookie is in first place.
Congrats, eurocelticyankee!

Through no fault of my own.

Thanks anyway George, i might as well enjoy my time at the top as it's sure to be short lived.

Curious name, Frozen Rope ??
George

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 09:00 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
. . . Curious name, Frozen Rope ??

Baseball slang for a ball thrown so hard it appears to be a frozen rope.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 09:02 am
@George,
You live and you learn,
0 Replies