Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 07:33 am
Timber, you're certainly welcome to it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 08:03 am
Yehaw! An all time record!

WEATHER / REGION
Mass. faces task of digging out from historic storm
It didn't cause as much damage as the Blizzard of '78, but it dumped more snow in Boston than any storm since records have been kept. The powerful blizzard that swept through Massachusetts Monday and early today dropped 27.5 inches of snow at Logan International Airport -- the largest accumulation since snow records started being kept in 1892. (AP, 8:49 a.m.)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:28 pm
Yeah, that's what they're saying. But I remember '78 vividly and this little storm we just had doesn't measure up in terms of the disruption caused. Back then Boston was socked in and shut down for a week. Today, everything's moving smoothly, the major streets are all well-plowed. Took me about 45 minutes to dig my car out, that's all. In '78, my street wasn't plowed for about five days and the car stayed in the driveway longer than that.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:38 pm
As I recollect there was a major storm the week before the Blizzard of 78'.
There was already a lot of snow on the ground and getting arouind was sloppy and hazardous, and there were already piles of snow and cars were buried from the first storm.

I was working my second job at Hines Civic Auditorium for the 78' Boatshow. The boats could not removed at the end of the show because of the first storm and the boats were there for almost a month before they could be taken out..

Boston proper already had snow problems before the onset of the Blizzard.
0 Replies

Bcorr

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:40 pm
In Detroit -- school was cancelled -- and it took 15 minutes of pushing and hand-digging to get the front door open...and this was following an ice storm...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 10:51 pm
My mother and I moved to Chicago, met at the station by my father, in a big blizzard. Dramatic from my point of view.

I dunno, maybe I lived there in some tough years. Things described as extreme now fit in with my memory of ordinary winters.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:11 pm
In Michigan, I was driving home form work. The snow was coming down so fast, that the wipers had a hard time getting it off. Every time I stopped at a light, I jumped out of the car to brush the snow off the windshield. The thirty minute drive home took about two hours.

I also remember that after the sidewalks were shoveled, you could not see over the mountains of snow on each side.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:22 pm
I was in Rochester, NY. (Oh yeah, the lake effect). Cars on the street were completely buried. Most businesses closed down, but I still had to work. On the way home, my car got stuck. Traffic backed up behind me. I got out and took a look. Stood in traffic, waving for help-- just a little push was all I needed. Nobody helped. Honking horns, etc. So, after a pretty long time, I said to myself, "Okay, screw it". I locked the car, left the car and walked home, several blocks and got my husband. We went back and he pushed me out. Everyone who was honking was still there.

Ha, ha, ha!!! I hated Rochester. Such a friendly place.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 11:44 pm
As noted; you didn't have to be on the east coast. We had snowdrifts taller than the house in Wisconsin. Awesome tunneling snow-days! After a week or so it rained briefly and then got really cold... so that the snow crusted enough to support a child's weight if you walked real careful. If not you'd fall through up to your shoulders. It was a ton of fun as a kid.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:06 am
I was living in Annapolis too, like LarryBS. Every morning I'd drive down to DC and climb the stairs of the office building we were erecting. I believe on that date we were pouring concrete on the 20th floor. Anyway, we were situated across the street from the building that housed OSHA. About noon the snow got so bad we had to shut down the crane. And at 1 PM a rep from OSHA lined us up and told us someone had called and complained about the conditions. Our Boss was furious but he told us to go home. I left my car there and took a bus to my friend's house on Glebe road in Arlington. Nothing like the panic in DC when a snow cloud approaches..LOL
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:07 am
Was anyone on the East Coast for the March 1992 Blizzard. Yiikes that was bad in the Metro DC area we has ice, ice, and more ice.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:57 am
Snow day. The only snow day I had, since when the dorm is less than a quarter mile from the classroom, no one waits on busses.

Some classmates were in the Hartford Civic Center watching a hocky game just hours before the roof collapsed.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:01 am
.Lots of small but steep hills in VA SP make it difficult when it snows. And then you have to realize that even when snow is predicted the DC metro area is known to have 500-600 car accidents during rush hour.

Once a neighbor of mine, we live just inside the Beltway on the Virginia side, did not get home from Bethesda Naval Hospital until 1:00 a.m., after having left work at 3:00 p.m. the previous day. A trip that normally would take about 30 minutes and a traveling distance of about 25 miles.

Once in 1980, the day the Air Florida plane crashed into the 14th Street bridge it took me 7 hours to drive 12 miles. My husband never even made it home he just slept in his office in DC
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:07 am
SealPoet
It occurs to me that it must have been hard to spot the puck with all that debris on the ice.
0 Replies