Astronomers discover 7 Earth-like planets orbiting nearby star

roger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 03:08 am
@farmerman,
They catch colds and scratch a lot?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 06:56 am
@Foofie,
The idea of a "mother ship" seems quaint at this point compared to the possibility of a thousand tiny wormholes opening up between Earth and Mars, and billions of centimeter long, anti-matter driven, self-replicating, quantum Drones pouring out and ignoring Earth completely while starting to digest our asteroid belt and transport elements back through dimensional slip space.

It seems more likely however that the most exciting news to come from any extra-solar planet is going to be the detection of organic trace gasses in the atmosphere. If it gets super exciting it'll be the detection of chlorophyl or something like that.

If we are very lucky the most exciting thing we'll find is microbes. Because if it's the other thing, and if we (the observer) are detected, then we're highly likely to be outclassed and outmatched to the point of not even knowing what it is that's killing us, assuming we linger long enough to even know it's happening.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:46 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
The idea of a "mother ship" seems quaint at this point compared to the possibility of a thousand tiny wormholes opening up between Earth and Mars, and billions of centimeter long, anti-matter driven, self-replicating, quantum Drones pouring out and ignoring Earth completely while starting to digest our asteroid belt and transport elements back through dimensional slip space.
Aliens hell, unless its the Chinese yer talking about.
I like the tory line, is this for -real water cooler talk at JPL?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:48 pm
@roger,
Its how the Brits killed off the native Americans. Although they dont much talk about it.(Its not a High Point of the Empire )
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2017 02:24 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

When the Europeans landed in the New World, they were only a little technologically more advanced than the people they landed among. Back in Europe, most people were still poor and barely living above starvation levels. So the drive was there to steal the Native American's land and dominate them so Europeans' lives can be enriched.

That drive will not likely be there with extraterrestrial visitors, since they are likely to be more advanced than us technologically and therefore will not likely have any economic reason to conquer us-even the Earth's most technologically advanced nations already have the knowledge about how to feed and clothe everyone, the trick is to get the message through to the backward nations who are untouched by modern science yet.

In short, if the spacemen can go zipping around space, they don't need our resources. They know more about how atoms work than we do, they can use that for energy and perform their own scientific alchemy.

If we listen to alarmists who assume the worst and blast the bejesus out of them with nukes the first time we see them, we'll likely piss 'em off and get ourselves vaporized.

I was taught a different history of Europeans coming to the New World. They had gunpowder and had wheels for faster transportation. They wanted gold and glory for the Spanish crown. The Atlantic coast had new arrivals that were motivated by the desire to practice their religion, without the European prejudices. Also, land was available; not in Europe, unless one was wealthy.
Foofie

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2017 02:31 pm
The only salient question, in my mind, is whether the human desire to dominate and conquer is literally universal. If it is, then good by happy humans. We'll all be slaves to an advanced civilization.
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2017 06:05 pm
@Foofie,
Hardly "salient" , because mankind has always been an explorer. How do you think the continents were settled? Crossing a sea for neolithic humans was as much a NASA project as was our moon landings and planned expeditions to outer planets.

There are those who do the discovering and exploring and there are those that sit and wonder what just happened. We call the second bunch "philosophy majors"
Blickers

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2017 01:49 am
@Foofie,
Quote Foofie:
Quote:
I was taught a different history of Europeans coming to the New World. They had gunpowder and had wheels for faster transportation. They wanted gold and glory for the Spanish crown. The Atlantic coast had new arrivals that were motivated by the desire to practice their religion, without the European prejudices. Also, land was available; not in Europe, unless one was wealthy.

Alas, even the Pilgrims turned land-greedy after the first generation or so. They told themselves that once they offer the Native Americans the Bible, if they reject it it justifies you taking the Indians' land and livelihood.

My point is that we now have the technology to feed everyone. And group of extraterrestrials will be more advanced than us or else they neer would have gotten here. We can assume that anything like food or housing is a snap as these guys go travelling around the universe.

By the time your planet's race is zipping around wormholes, everyone will be living in a nice house.
Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Hardly "salient" , because mankind has always been an explorer. How do you think the continents were settled? Crossing a sea for neolithic humans was as much a NASA project as was our moon landings and planned expeditions to outer planets.

There are those who do the discovering and exploring and there are those that sit and wonder what just happened. We call the second bunch "philosophy majors"

Notice that in the post you are referring to I wrote, "salient, in my mind." Just my opinion. If your opinion does not agree to it being salient, mox nixt.

Which sea was crossed for neolithic humans? Who were neolithic humans? And, why would anyone expect a philosophy major to explore? Exploring was usually, I thought, left for the less cerebral men of action? "Lastly you reference "mankind" in a way that presupposes there is just one archetype for mankind. As you should know, I do not identify with all of mankind. I only identify with Americans.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2017 02:49 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote Foofie:
Quote:

Alas, even the Pilgrims turned land-greedy after the first generation or so. They told themselves that once they offer the Native Americans the Bible, if they reject it it justifies you taking the Indians' land and livelihood.

My point is that we now have the technology to feed everyone. And group of extraterrestrials will be more advanced than us or else they neer would have gotten here. We can assume that anything like food or housing is a snap as these guys go travelling around the universe.

By the time your planet's race is zipping around wormholes, everyone will be living in a nice house.

I am not an optimist about people's or aliens' motives.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:04 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

In short, if the spacemen can go zipping around space, they don't need our resources. They know more about how atoms work than we do, they can use that for energy and perform their own scientific alchemy.

Do you know what are our resources? Some resources are always very rare like the Bully Pulpit. Simple-mindedness doesn't help here. For example, Donald Trump is filthy rich with his resources, yet he still wants to rule the White House - the one-and-only resource that American People possess.

Similarly, Aliens with very advanced science are likely to control We Humans. They want us to obey their rules to make the Universe more harmonious (in their sense). And, even if criminal rate is very low in their world, there will still be criminals there who would like to grab any useful resources, including ours, to sustain their outlaw lives.

So strict vetting must be required if space Aliens visit our world.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:26 am
I always feel a resistance when aliens are described as much advanced when compared to humans. In fact, they could be extremely intelligent, but in the way of the octopus or the carpenter ant, and incapable of writing books and creating science. They might be no more sentient than poppies and oak trees. Compared with them, we might be gods.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:27 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

So strict vetting must be required if space Aliens visit our world.

ALL immigrants need strict vetting.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:57 am
@McGentrix,
hell, Ill ride em around in my Pickemup truck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 02:48 am
Earth-sized, not earth-like . . . geeze.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 04:40 am
@Setanta,
you dont think theyd like my pickemup?

I guess Ill have to ride em around in an RV , like PAUL
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 10:25 pm
I find this discovery to be completely fantastic as well as inspirational. Not just because of what was found but how we are now able to do it. It is a marvel to be sure. I can't wait for the moment when we are able to confirm that we are not alone. I'm excited to think it may happen before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I'd settle for bacterial life but I'm holding hope for any higher form.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 10:29 pm
@giujohn,
That's one thing we have in common, Gooey. They'd better get a move on, I ain't gettin' any younger!
giujohn

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 10:47 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I'm guessing within the next 25 years...I never thought I'd see proof of the Higgs boson but I was elated when they did...But disappointed at the ho- hum attitude of the ignorant masses. Wonder how they'll react by actual contact?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 08:02 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Wonder how they'll react by actual contact?

Depends on whether it effects their commute I suppose.
0 Replies