Astronomers discover 7 Earth-like planets orbiting nearby star

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:39 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
On thing so know is that the earth's lifes[an is not infinite and maybe space travel will provide our species some cover from final annihilation.

Yes. What I read was that Trappist is a small star (less than 10% the size of our sun) and has a potential lifespan of 10 trillion years. (1000 times the lifespan of our sun). I mean if we're going to move at least we should move to a stable neighborhood!
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:06 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
to a stable neighborhood!
Tom, delighted you should so observe. I've long maintained how we abuse Porky

My apologies to TAATANE for wandering slightly from OP
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:35 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
I mean if we're going to move at least we should move to a stable neighborhood!
Yeh, well **** it up hen we get there. I just qorry about gtting ick what with all those planets spinning around with 2 day transit times around their suns
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:40 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
hen we get there
Yea Far, Porky and the hens, too. We love it

Quorry too, she's a real beauty

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=qorry

Aku yakin kamu pun tahu, aku juga cinta sama kamu
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 11:29 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
2 day transit times around their suns
I wonder how fast they're spinning. Is there any way to know that?
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 05:41 am
@TomTomBinks,
well, usually close- in clumps of satellites may not rotate at all, like our moon always faces the same side to us. Thats like 1 rotation per transit. Im not sure though, could be all wrong on that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 05:49 am
It's gravitationally locked to the earth. It seems that that might be an inevitable fate of a satellite. The relatively smaller the satellite, the faster that will happen. Venus, not small in comparison to satellite relationships such as Terra and Luna, is nevertheless well on its way to being tidally locked. Right now, it's day is longer than its year. It's just a matter of time.
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 06:26 am
@Setanta,
Id hate to have to live on the dark sides of these orbs. If theres an atmosphere on any, its weather patterns will probably be exciting.
I was wondering how they computed the "Goldilox" zone for a bunch of these close- in planets orbiting a red giant.
oristarA

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 07:56 am
Wonderful new dreamlands. Thanks for finding them out.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 08:04 am
@Region Philbis,
I love that we're finding more earth-like planets, but I'm afraid that the general public thinks that we're going to find a paradise planet or a more perfect place to live, and that's never going to happen. It's not about finding a better place to live, or even another place to live. It's about finding something to compare ourselves to. A way to gauge our own place in the scheme of things.

I wish that more people understood that we are never going to find another planet that fits us and satisfies us as the Earth does. We evolved on this planet. Our entire biology and psychology has grown to fit it in ways that we still barely recognize, and that no other planet will ever duplicate.

(just hoping people keep a realistic perspective on finding Earth-"LIKE" planets, and realize that they will always be Earth-"Like", but never Earth)
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 08:20 am
@farmerman,
I guess that if the distance to the star is known and the radiation can be measured it's just a matter of doing the math.

If a planet was tidally locked I imagine the wind would be continual. Air on the light side would be heated and rise, air from the dark side would rush in. Heated wind at high altitude toward the dark side. Wind turbines would be a great option!
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 09:53 am
@TomTomBinks,
see, now were thinkin. A self generating planet-wide power grid run by adiabiasis
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 11:36 am
The Trappist-1 star is only slightly larger than Jupiter, and all these planets are in relational orbits similar to Jupiter's moons. If Jupiter had been slightly larger we would have something very similar to this solar system within our own solar system, and our sun would be considered a Binary Star (system).
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:39 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote rosborne979:
Quote:
I wish that more people understood that we are never going to find another planet that fits us and satisfies us as the Earth does. We evolved on this planet. Our entire biology and psychology has grown to fit it in ways that we still barely recognize, and that no other planet will ever duplicate.

That might be true for the way the Earth is right now, but in previous periods of Earth's history, the climate was very different. For a long time there we were one big frozen globel with little or no life, then the continents slowly separated and set up warming water currents. And of course the atmosphere in previous eras was way different from now as well.

So as the Earth's climate and conditions conditions continue to change eons in the future, we might well find some planets that more closely resemble the Earth as it is now than the Earth of the future will. Of course, there is the little problem of physically getting to these planets, but that's another issue.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 01:01 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
So as the Earth's climate and conditions conditions continue to change eons in the future, we might well find some planets that more closely resemble the Earth as it is now than the Earth of the future will. Of course, there is the little problem of physically getting to these planets, but that's another issue.

You are correct of course that we would not have found all versions of the Earth as hospitable as we do now, but that might only be confirmation of how unlikely it will be to ever find anything even all that similar to what we have now.

Beyond that, it's not only the physical characteristics Earth (Gravity, Atmospheric Pressure, Humidity, Oxygen levels, ect) which we need to think about. By far the most profound way we are connected to Earth is through its biosphere. The food we need to survive actually grows out of the ground here and the Earth's microbiome infuses and colonizes our bodies. Those things will be virtually impossible to duplicate (in all likelihood). Unless of course it turns out that almost all life is based on DNA, and almost all DNA generates Plant Life and almost all Plant Life isn't poisonous to us... the "and if's" add up very quickly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:45 pm
If a "mother ship" lands somewhere on Earth, would progressives call the visitors (or conquerers) "undocumented aliens," or "immigrants from beyond," or what? Now, if they came en masse, it might just make it problematic to focus on the previous daily routine. Nothing like interlopers to bring out the survival instinct.
Blickers

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12:19 am
@Foofie,
When the Europeans landed in the New World, they were only a little technologically more advanced than the people they landed among. Back in Europe, most people were still poor and barely living above starvation levels. So the drive was there to steal the Native American's land and dominate them so Europeans' lives can be enriched.

That drive will not likely be there with extraterrestrial visitors, since they are likely to be more advanced than us technologically and therefore will not likely have any economic reason to conquer us-even the Earth's most technologically advanced nations already have the knowledge about how to feed and clothe everyone, the trick is to get the message through to the backward nations who are untouched by modern science yet.

In short, if the spacemen can go zipping around space, they don't need our resources. They know more about how atoms work than we do, they can use that for energy and perform their own scientific alchemy.

If we listen to alarmists who assume the worst and blast the bejesus out of them with nukes the first time we see them, we'll likely piss 'em off and get ourselves vaporized.

roger

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 12:26 am
@Blickers,
Maybe they need the space. Insect like critters that lay thousands of eggs at a sitting?
Blickers

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 01:11 am
@roger,
Certainly a possibility. But if they can solve the problem of how to get from one place to another that are thousands of light years apart, I don't think our nukes are going to hurt them much.

Our last hope might be cans and cans of Raid.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 02:39 am
@Blickers,
we give em blankets laced with smallpox and rhinovirus