Cheesehead Central

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 11:58 am
@patiodog,
covering man-to-man on 3rd and long might have been nice, on occasion...
sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 11:59 am
@patiodog,
and holding on to some goddamn passes

dammit
sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 12:03 pm
@sozobe,
Earlyish in the game there was some graphic about how up until (fairly recent year), the Packers were 13-0 in playoff games at home. Since then they've been 3-2.

I explained to sozlet at the time that the Packers became a more West-coast/ QB-central offense around that cutoff point, and that the West coast offense does not actually do that well on the frozen tundra.

I know that was part of it -- the Packers' march to the Super Bowl last year was all on the road.

The very recent death of the coach's kid was part of it too. Their strength throughout has been their happy, boisterous camaraderie, and by all accounts everyone's been "somber."

And I'm just not sure the two weeks off were a good thing. They seemed off, disconnected.

Plus all of these "healthy" people back might not have been for the best, I dunno. Replacements were doing well, and were these healthy people 100%? I don't think Jennings was.

Argh.
patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 12:10 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
The very recent death of the coach's kid was part of it too.

Damn, didn't know about that. Hadn't followed any of the lead-up, and watched at the Harmony with the sound too low to hear over the. I thought the sideline looked pretty grim, didn't know what to make of it.

Damn.
sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 12:15 pm
@patiodog,
Not McCarthy, but the offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, who evidently was one of those emotional-center kind of guys.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/sports/football/packers-offensive-coordinator-philbin-out-indefinitely.htm

Excerpt:

Quote:
“A punch in the heart,” McCarthy called the death of Philbin’s son.

Packers left guard T. J. Lang said: “Just a sad, sad time. Probably won’t find a nicer guy on this staff than Joe. For that to happen to anybody is tragic, but to happen to a great guy like Joe makes it hurt that much more.”

Philbin, a 50-year-old father of six, is one of the most popular people in the Packers’ organization and often speaks about his wife, Diane, and their children. He is known as a detail-oriented coach and is regarded as one of the staff’s better teachers, with a dry wit and a pleasant demeanor.

Philbin does not call the plays during games, but he assumes a leading role in game-planning during the week. He is also heavily involved in coaching the offensive line.

“I think he’s the heart and soul of our offense, the way he coaches and helps guys out,” said Lang, whose father died last week. “He’s all business, but he does like to have some fun. He has a great sense of humor.”

The funeral was on Friday. Kid was 21.

Damn, yeah.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 03:58 pm
Watching the Pack was fun and I'm sorry to see 'em go. But there's something about a Giants team peaking in early Jan that is unstoppable. Shades of 2008
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 10:48 am
Hello, Internet friends.

This morning I removed the extension cord from around my neck and stepped down from the upside-down bucket. It appears I will live, though with darkness in my heart for the time being.

By which I mean, for the first time, I am rooting for Brady and Belichick to all the way: because if I'm going to be miserable, I want everybody to be miserable, which a Patriots victory certainly ensures (I ask our resident chowderheads to forgive me).

Furthermore, the New York sports media is ******* insufferable. If the Giants win, THEY ARE THE GREATEST TEAM EVAR, and if they lose, THEY ARE STILL THE GREATEST TEAM EVAR, BUT THAT ONE DB, QB, OR COACH INTERFERED WITH DESTINY AND NEEDS TO BE FIRED AND THEN DROWNED.

I hope Eli Manning gets diarrhea during the Super Bowl. This wish extends from some primitive dislike even I don't quite understand. I think it's the whiny bitch-face he makes following every incompletion.

As far as the Green Bay Packers, if ******* hurts to even talk about them. Quite simply, they need a pass rush. This season was a weird confluence of ridiculous offensive success that I think deprived them of the experience of manufacturing team wins. Like, last year the offense would oscillate from red-hot to cold within the same game, and the defense would have to lock in to stabilize the team and protect the lead.

In conclusion, pitchers and catchers report in 27 days.
sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 10:49 am
@Gargamel,
Amen.

I'm rooting for the Giants (if we had to lose, let it be to the best team), but I see your point.

As for the rest of it, just plain amen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 03:15 pm
Helloooooo Cheeseheads!

Season starts Sunday.

Just saw this and had to share -- first-ever Lambeau Leap, after a TD on a lateral from Reggie White to LeRoy Butler. I SO remember.

0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2012 10:36 pm
All week I have been crapping my pants in anticipation. It will be a tough opener. But if I drink at least three beers, the Packers' odds will increase astronomically.
sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:06 am
@Gargamel,
Drink, like, 30 then. You can do it!
Gargamel

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:29 pm
@sozobe,
Drinking like a bastard. But for the wrong reason.

If there's a silver lining, the Packers learn that their defense sucks great big pulsating donkey wiener in week 1 instead of week 10. I mean in case there's something they can do about it.
sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:15 pm
@Gargamel,
I missed it -- kid got kicked in the head at her soccer game and have been dealing with that (after a period of loopiness -- Ms. Math Genius couldn't answer 7-4 -- she seems fine). Finally checked in about an hour ago to see who won, was less sorry I missed it when I saw the score.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:42 pm
@sozobe,
Aaaaack to you all.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 09:58 pm
@sozobe,
Yeah, good one to miss.

Hope your little math genius is okay.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 10:04 pm
@Gargamel,
man.

the packers lost, and you got beaten by a tico.

it must really suck to be you today...

at least tomorrow is Monday, eh?

hoping sozlet has no big lumps on the pumpkin. or loops in the thought train...
panzade

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 03:13 pm
Man, those cheesy Packers really ruined my office football pool. I picked them and ended up in a six-way tie.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2012 07:49 pm
@panzade,
Hell, and I lost 50 pesos on a bet!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 06:00 am
Missed the game last night (too late AND not on my TV that I could find), catching up this morning. Looks GOOD!!! Clay Matthews and the defense seemed to do really well. Granted this is vs. Jay Cutler, but still.

And have to love Donald Driver dancing in the end zone. Very Happy
sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2012 06:08 am
@sozobe,
Plus, I'm glad they got the squeezed schedule (Sunday game then Thursday game) out of the way early. That spelled trouble last year, when it came later in the season.

They get a good break now (next game is 9/24), then will be semi-squished (MNF, then a Sunday game on 9/30), then Sundays from there on out. (No Thanksgiving or Christmas games.)
0 Replies