Cheesehead Central

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:59 pm
I'm so worried about injuries!

They played Monday night, then today (and got pretty beat up), and then they're playing again on Thursday. That's some messed-up scheduling. Should've had a bye in the middle of it (no game today).

Starks, Jermichael Finley, Brian Bulaga, Greg Jennings... I hope none of them are really serious but it didn't look good (especially Starks). Aaron Rodgers was getting knocked down a lot too and threw that interception. (C'mon, O line, step up!)

The game definitely had its moments though, I adore BJ Raji and am always very happy when they bring him in for offense. Jordy Nelson was great in general, that last TD was a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

As an aside, Kellen Winslow confused me until I figured out he's the son of the guy I was thinking of (remember watching him on the Chargers).
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 02:46 pm
@sozobe,
Well that went better than I feared.

Yay for domes.

11-0!!
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2011 04:29 pm
@sozobe,
I was watching the game off and on as I prepared the Thanksgiving meal and then cleaned up after, remembered something I saw late about AJ Hawk being "down," just checked that.

Quote:
Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk suffered a left calf injury, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette, and the Packers said he will not return. Robert Francois replaced Hawk and intercepted Matt Stafford to set up the Packers' third touchdown of the game -- a 65-yard strike from Aaron Rodgers to James Jones.

[....]

Packers linebacker Desmond Bishop suffered a calf injury and his return to the game is questionable. He is on the sidelines on crutches and with his right calf wrapped.

Packers offensive lineman Josh Sitton suffered a knee injury and is also questionable to return, according to the press box.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8246d049/article/lions-rb-smith-out-with-leg-injury-packers-rule-out-hawk?module=HP11_headline_stack

So, not so good re: injuries after all -- even though I didn't see any, there were some. Hopefully they're not too serious.

On that note, great to see Brandon Saine active as running back! (Due to Starks' injury.) He was a favorite as a Buckeye, I forgot or didn't know that he went to the Packers.
Gargamel

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2011 10:11 pm
@sozobe,
Some perspective on the injury situation: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/134536118.html

Ten days will heal a lot of banged-up Packers.
sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2011 07:48 am
@Gargamel,
Fingers crossed.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:38 pm
NPR just reported that the publicly owned Packers will be offering new shares in the team at $250 a pop. Any details on that story? Thank you.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
MILWAUKEE — Want a piece of the Green Bay Packers? The Super Bowl champions are about to give you a chance.

The NFL’s only publicly owned team announced details Thursday about the fifth stock sale in team history and first
in 14 years. The money will help pay for $130 million in renovations at historic Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

Own even one share and technically you’re a team owner.

However, be aware that Packers stock isn’t like regular stock. The value doesn’t go up, there are no dividends and
it has virtually no resale value. Stockholders do get voting rights, along with the chance to attend annual meetings
where they can meet Packers executives, tour the Packers Hall of Fame and stick around for the kickoff of training camp.

There are currently 112,205 people who own a total of 4.75 million shares. Another 250,000 shares will go on sale Tuesday,
available by mail or at packers.com. In either case, the shares cost $250 plus a handling charge.
(wash.post)
Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 03:43 pm
@Region Philbis,
what a brilliant scam...
Baldimo

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2011 07:56 pm
@Rockhead,
Hey at least you get to say you are an NFL team owner. I think I might have found my Xmas present to myself.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 05:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Far more equitable way to raise stadium revenue than to raid public funds or levy a tax that everybody has to pay, which is how these things usually work.
sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2011 01:41 pm
@patiodog,
YES.

I have stock from 1997 and I love it. (It wasn't $250, and it was a gift, but I'm very glad to have it. And sozlet is suitably impressed. But told me that I don't have to buy stock for her, she's willing to just share mine.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:45 pm
Do you think Aaron got a concussion on that horrible hit a few plays ago? He keeps misfiring since then and his eyes don't look so great.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 06:54 am
@sozobe,

he sounded ok after the game.
i think they sat him for the 4th quarter (precautionary reasons)...
sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:31 am
@Region Philbis,
The did sit him out but the given reason was just that it was a blowout so they were resting some of their starters. (The Raiders came back with another 9 points in the 4th quarter but it was 43-7 when Aaron sat down.)

I don't think he was completely out of it, but I don't think he was all there, either. He'd had a razor-sharp game up until that point, and it was decidedly butter-knifey from then on.

Could have been a non-concussion injury too, but some of the problems were decision-making. And again, his eyes did not look right to me (especially between the helmet-to-helmet hit and the end of the half).

Anyway, I breathed a sigh of relief once he was out of the game, and now, if it was anything, he has a week to recover.
sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:36 am
@sozobe,
Just read your link, incidentally it confirms that Saine did get a concussion (along with Pickett) -- phooey. He's been doing really well in the absence of Starks.

Then again Ryan Grant is doing fantastically well recently (that long TD run was gorgeous), so they'll have at least Grant and Kuhn (I love how he starts running, and he's grabbed pretty quick, and you think aw, that was a short run, and then you think wait a minute but he's not actually down is he, and then you think wait a minute that whole pack of guys is moving inexorably forward, and then finally he's down and you realize he's gotten 8 yards).
sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2011 08:48 am
@sozobe,
Here's a picture of the helmet-to-helmet hit -- doesn't look as bad as when it's in motion, but you get a sense of it.

http://media.jsonline.com/images/650*335/mjs-packers12-19-of-hoffman.jpg-packers12.jpg

(Every Monday I check out the Milwaukee Journal photo gallery, they always have some beauts. For example:)

http://media.jsonline.com/images/341*600/mjs-packers12-16-of-hoffman.jpg-packers12.jpg

Whole album:

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/photos/135411943.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:06 pm
A.J.'s back!

I don't care much about the "perfect season" stuff but I want the Packers to win this one so they can clinch home field advantage + get an extra week of rest.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:26 pm
Dammit, Aaron Rodgers still doesn't look like himself.

OK that was typed before the long pass to Nelson, which was pretty good. But still too far out of bounds.
sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:45 pm
@sozobe,
THERE. Finally a pass that makes me think he's OK....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 01:11 pm
I AM WORRIED.

If they lose this game, they lose this game. It's not huge.

But if they totally implode because Aaron's either currently dealing with the aftermath of a concussion, or because he was dealing with a concussion and then the resulting bad play led to a crisis of confidence, that's baaad.
0 Replies