Cheesehead Central

wandeljw

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:50 am
Have any of you mentioned this already? As a quarterback, Brett Favre has defeated all 32 teams EXCEPT Green Bay. If he defeats Green Bay tomorrow night, that would be awesome!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:14 pm
I'm a bad person, but....

.....I never knew Brett Favre was married to a tranny.

(Edit: Well, ****, I googled her, and I am going to burn in hell. But I'm not a-takin' down the evidence of my moral decrepitude.)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 01:12 am
Is there any remaining doubt about whether or not Ted Thompson is an idiot?

One fan said that when your child does something you don't like, you may not like it, but you still love him. Yep!
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:35 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Oh my goodness.

Where is Gus?

I wonder what he thinks about all this.

To my shock, in the head-to-head matchup, I was rooting for the Vikings.

Shocked

I need to be booted off this thread, don't I?

I've been reading stuff about the game and a lot of people seem to think that this marks some sort of a turning point for Brett on the Vikings -- I don't think so, necessarily. He's always extra hot on Monday Night Football. Gets the adrenalin going, I dunno, but he pretty much always does well. (Remember the game after his dad died?)
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 06:36 am
@patiodog,
Whatchu talkin' about?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:10 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Oh my goodness.

Where is Gus?

I wonder what he thinks about all this.

To my shock, in the head-to-head matchup, I was rooting for the Vikings.

Shocked

I need to be booted off this thread, don't I?

I've been reading stuff about the game and a lot of people seem to think that this marks some sort of a turning point for Brett on the Vikings -- I don't think so, necessarily. He's always extra hot on Monday Night Football. Gets the adrenalin going, I dunno, but he pretty much always does well. (Remember the game after his dad died?)
Shocked ......... Me too. Embarrassed

Here, I'll lend you my spin (important thing to have, here in Wisconsin.) I was rooting for the greatest Green Bay Packer of all time to demonstrate Ted Thompson's idiocy, in hopes that the fans would figure out that we need a better general manager.

Who wins that game if Brett was wearing Green and Gold?

Did you catch that shot of Ted Thompson on the sidelines (eyes shifting, face ticking... the general appearance of a man afraid there might be a sniper in the building)?

And how touching was the Brett/Driver embrace? I was so waiting to see that!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:11 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

One fan said that when your child does something you don't like, you may not like it, but you still love him. Yep!

Seriously? You're still calling Thompson an idiot and, in essence, Rodgers an inadequate replacement? Forget that when faced with actual stats on the previous page you opted to steer the discussion toward attendance and gear sales. (BTW, attendance down at Lambeau Field? Surely you're aware of the streak of 279 consecutive sellouts still intact as of Sept. 20, 2009? Please play fairly.)

If you mean to say that Ted Thompson is an idiot for not finding the personnel to protect the rising star that is the Green Bay quarterback, I agree. But with respect to the quarterback position itself, that's no longer a legitimate discussion, and it's one only you and I seem to be having. You feel that Thompson disrespected Favre by not reinstating him mere days before the beginning of the 2008 season, that some code of honor owed a legend like Brett had been brecahed--fine. While I disagree, there is enough subjectivity involved in that argument that I can leave it alone. But in terms of Rodgers' compentence, I must ask: were we watching the same game last night?

Favre was awesome, yes. Let's get that out of the way. I won't minimize his performance by dwelling on the fact that he had eons to sit in the pocket to wait for receivers to get open--it was a high pressure situation and he delivered.

But while Favre "tormented" the Pack, and other bullshit I'm seeing in the headlines today, what goes unmentioned is Rodgers' line: 26 for 37, 384 yds, 2 TD, 1 int. Oh, and let's not forget that dropped TD pass in the third quarter. All this in, really, his first "big" game, infused with the drama of a playoff match, and nationally televised. Played in a hostile environment, against a team that beat Favre 16 times in his career as a Packer. And, again, in spite of the non-existent pass protection he's enjoyed all year. 8 sacks last night, Bill.

That makes 20 sacks on the year for Rodgers, 5 per game. I'm certainly frustrated that, at times, it seems Rodgers has the opportunity to throw the ball away but tucks it and takes a sack. But clearly he's not getting any protection. And yet he's thrown only one less TD than Favre this year and he's averaging 75 more yards per game. Interesting. Moreover, Rodgers wants to play for the Packers. He's desperate to continue to prove people like you wrong. He probably decided before the end of last season that he wanted to return. He went to training camp.

Thompson actually looks like a genius. As made clear in my post one page back, there is no hole at QB. The Pack has an elite quarterback, in a league where teams are lucky even to get milquetoast at that position these days. Furthermore, he'll be around next season.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:24 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Rodgers played well last night, and if he had a better O-line, would have done even better.

Lucky that he took a safety instead of a fumble there at the end of the game tho.

Favre looked great as usual.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 09:37 am
Just learned that the trademark Cheesehead is owned by Foamation Inc, from St Francis.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:31 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Seriously? You're still calling Thompson an idiot and, in essence, Rodgers an inadequate replacement? Forget that when faced with actual stats on the previous page you opted to steer the discussion toward attendance and gear sales. (BTW, attendance down at Lambeau Field? Surely you're aware of the streak of 279 consecutive sellouts still intact as of Sept. 20, 2009? Please play fairly.)

A. I wouldn't call Rogers an inadequate replacement. He's doing a hell of a job, overall. That that gamble appears to be working out doesn't excuse taking a gamble with a 13-3 team, poised for another Superbowl run.

Nor does it excuse an unproven rookie manager placing a greater value on his own ego than he does on the legend who is Brett Favre. I will never forgive him for driving a wedge between loyal Packer fans (like you) and the greatest Packer of them all. It's not like a presidential election, where half the people will hate the result, you know. I doubt more than a handful of Packer fans would have had any trouble forgiving him for bringing Brett back. I doubt that group would have included you. This very argument can be blamed on the idiot, Ted Thompson.

B. Ticket Sales Not Equal Attendance. And I am acutely aware of the Ticket Sale situation, having spent most of my life waiting my turn to buy some at face value. Consequently, I am aware of how difficult it is to find tickets to the games... and finally, I can see empty seats that would have been filled.

Gargamel wrote:
If you mean to say that Ted Thompson is an idiot for not finding the personnel to protect the rising star that is the Green Bay quarterback, I agree. But with respect to the quarterback position itself, that's no longer a legitimate discussion, and it's one only you and I seem to be having. You feel that Thompson disrespected Favre by not reinstating him mere days before the beginning of the 2008 season, that some code of honor owed a legend like Brett had been brecahed--fine. While I disagree, there is enough subjectivity involved in that argument that I can leave it alone. But in terms of Rodgers' compentence, I must ask: were we watching the same game last night?
The kid's playing very well... but:
A. You simply cannot hold the ball that long in the NFL. Throw it away.
B. Sometimes there is no good throw to make and you have to take chances if you want to win. He's too protective of his numbers... and that's a lot of why he gets sacked too. That line isn't doing any worse than the lines Brett played behind in Green Bay. Welcome to the NFL... Defenses are good here.

Gargamel wrote:
Favre was awesome, yes. Let's get that out of the way. I won't minimize his performance by dwelling on the fact that he had eons to sit in the pocket to wait for receivers to get open--it was a high pressure situation and he delivered.
Laughing Yes he did play awesome. But let me be clear here: If he was washed up... and not getting it done anymore... that still wouldn't excuse Thompson's idiotic decision. 16 years of dedicated service, he deserved to play in Green Bay for as long as he could still play. The chance at least. You seem to forget that Thompson decided Brett would be a back-up to an unproven kid as a condition of letting the most productive quarterback in NFL history continue to produce for Green Bay, after one of his most productive seasons! Huh? Mind-boggling idiocy. Rogers was under contract for the year anyway, and had no standing to object.

Gargamel wrote:
But while Favre "tormented" the Pack, and other bullshit I'm seeing in the headlines today, what goes unmentioned is Rodgers' line: 26 for 37, 384 yds, 2 TD, 1 int. Oh, and let's not forget that dropped TD pass in the third quarter. All this in, really, his first "big" game, infused with the drama of a playoff match, and nationally televised. Played in a hostile environment, against a team that beat Favre 16 times in his career as a Packer. And, again, in spite of the non-existent pass protection he's enjoyed all year. 8 sacks last night, Bill.
Yep, Rogers gave a fine performance, numbers-wise. He threw some sharp balls and had some bad breaks too. I felt bad for him a few times. Must be tough wearing his shoes. He's developing into a fine quarterback and may one day be an elite if he ever learns to get rid of the ball and take some chances (risking those pretty numbers). He doesn't yet have Brett's passion... and he seems too afraid of failure... which, ironically enough, resulted in his tying Brett's losing season record in his very first year. ( a 13 and 3 team he led to defeat!)

Gargamel wrote:
That makes 20 sacks on the year for Rodgers, 5 per game. I'm certainly frustrated that, at times, it seems Rodgers has the opportunity to throw the ball away but tucks it and takes a sack. But clearly he's not getting any protection. And yet he's thrown only one less TD than Favre this year and he's averaging 75 more yards per game. Interesting. Moreover, Rodgers wants to play for the Packers. He's desperate to continue to prove people like you wrong. He probably decided before the end of last season that he wanted to return. He went to training camp.
Wants to play for the Packers. That is just so much sillyness. A 38 year NFL Quarterback wavers on retirement... gasp. Who have you EVER seen more dedicated to helping his team win during football season? (Be honest) Did you see the highlight reel from last week where Brett ran 40 yards up the field to deliver a bone-jarring block? This is a guy who should answer to you or anyone about his commitment? Utter nonsense. From bell to bell, few athletes in history have been more committed to playing their game. 16 years without ever once calling in sick, or hurt. I think his thousands of days in "training" left him adequately trained, with or without some mini-camps... and certainly more comfortable than the rookie at the helm of his 13 and 3 Packers.

Gargamel wrote:
Thompson actually looks like a genius. As made clear in my post one page back, there is no hole at QB. The Pack has an elite quarterback, in a league where teams are lucky even to get milquetoast at that position these days. Furthermore, he'll be around next season.
There need not be a hole at QB for Thompson's idiocy to be demonstrated. Rogers is incidental to Thompson's monumental error.

Any good GM would have simply stated that "the Packers are ready, with or without Brett Favre, but we're certainly hoping he comes back", and left it at that. Rogers is a good kid, and may one day be great... but you don't threaten to sit a hall of famer down behind an unproven kid to protect your own ego. No GM with half a brain in his head does that. Thompson is an idiot.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:39 am
@Francis,
I can send you one if you like!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:50 am
@OCCOM BILL,
I would prefer to be rooting for Brett. You know things are bad when you're watching the game in a Chicago bar, and even Bears fans are cheering him on. That was weird and slightly painful. Though it should be noted they don't give two shits about Brett; their hatred for the Pack simply exceeds their hatred for him. I had been wondering how that would work.

I'd like to see Rodgers take more risks, shoot that thing downfield and pump fake less. QB coach needs to fix that. However I ultimately prefer caution over unbridled gunslingin'. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Brett has only 1 int this year.

I know this is the kind of thing you say after losing, but I think the game was good for the Pack, i.e. "character building." We get a bye week and then the Lions and the Browns. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in three weeks the Packers will be 4-2, and back in the race. I was pleased to see the run defense tighten, though dismayed to see Al Harris get no help on the outside.

Above all, a team really rallies around its quarterback in a game like that. We're going to be tough to beat at Lambeau Nov. 1, and I'm hoping that can provide a boost to keep the Packers in contention late in the season.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:53 am
Gotta keep in mind that Brett not only is enjoying one of the best O-lines in football, he also has one of the best - if not THE best - Running backs in Peterson. How much pressure does that take off of the guy? Lots.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 10:53 am
@Gargamel,
I do still root for the Packers too, even though I feel like my Cheesehead cred has been severely compromised by the Brett-Longwell-Vikings love. I think my ideal would be:

- Brett takes the Vikings to the Superbowl, and wins.
- He absolutely, positively, no-second-thoughts-I-swear RETIRES immediately afterwards.
- He stays retired.
- Rodgers gets better and better.
- Rodgers becomes the basis of a resurgent Pack, and they win 3-4 years down the line.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:03 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

I would prefer to be rooting for Brett.
I know you would... and that's why the decision was so very wrong.

Gargamel wrote:
You know things are bad when you're watching the game in a Chicago bar, and even Bears fans are cheering him on. That was weird and slightly painful. Though it should be noted they don't give two shits about Brett; their hatred for the Pack simply exceeds their hatred for him. I had been wondering how that would work.
That I get. Watching the Bears lose is second only to watching the Packers win for me.

Gargamel wrote:
I'd like to see Rodgers take more risks, shoot that thing downfield and pump fake less. QB coach needs to fix that. However I ultimately prefer caution over unbridled gunslingin'. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Brett has only 1 int this year.
Agreed on gunslinging in general... about half way between them guys is probably ideal... but I LOVE TO WATCH BRETT just let em rip! Adrian Peterson hasn't left that much work for Brett to do yet this year. He hasn't had to throw too many tough ones, yet. That and witht the speed he's gunning this year; I think defenders might be legitimately afraid of the ball. Wink

Gargamel wrote:
I know this is the kind of thing you say after losing, but I think the game was good for the Pack, i.e. "character building." We get a bye week and then the Lions and the Browns. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in three weeks the Packers will be 4-2, and back in the race. I was pleased to see the run defense tighten, though dismayed to see Al Harris get no help on the outside.
Agreed. They should do just fine... and shutting down Peterson is a remarkable feat.

Gargamel wrote:
Above all, a team really rallies around its quarterback in a game like that. We're going to be tough to beat at Lambeau Nov. 1, and I'm hoping that can provide a boost to keep the Packers in contention late in the season.
Will certainly be a tough game. Hope I can go!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:14 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I do still root for the Packers too, even though I feel like my Cheesehead cred has been severely compromised by the Brett-Longwell-Vikings love. I think my ideal would be:

- Brett takes the Vikings to the Superbowl, and wins.
- He absolutely, positively, no-second-thoughts-I-swear RETIRES immediately afterwards.
- He stays retired.
- Rodgers gets better and better.
- Rodgers becomes the basis of a resurgent Pack, and they win 3-4 years down the line.
My only fear of Brett succeeding with the Vikings... is what happens when he retires?
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:20 am
@OCCOM BILL,
What do you mean... whether he'd be able to make it stick?

I think his near-miss with the Packers (his last game with them) convinced him that he wanted to go out on top. If he doesn't get there, he doesn't have the option, but I really think he would prefer to go out with a bang.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:50 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

What do you mean... whether he'd be able to make it stick?

I think his near-miss with the Packers (his last game with them) convinced him that he wanted to go out on top. If he doesn't get there, he doesn't have the option, but I really think he would prefer to go out with a bang.
No, not that. I'd love nothing better than to watch him play for many years to come! My concern is the "Minister of Defense" played most of his career as an Eagle... but retired a Packer. Could Brett retire a Viking? Shocked
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:53 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Oh, I see.

He's never not going to be a Packer, even if he achieves greatness-for-one-season with the Vikes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 12:09 pm
what station is the dang vikings/ steelers game on? anyone know?