Is truth subjective or objective?

NobleCon

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:44 pm
val wrote:
NobleCon

Wittgenstein's last work, "Philosophischen Untersuchungen" is not inferior to the Tractatus. In some ways it's a refutation of it.
The principal aspect of his last book is the refutation of the traditional concept of "essence". He applies that, even to language, showing that word definitions depend on the use we make of those words. He raises, in my opinion, a serious problem, not only to metaphysics but also to science.
In this case truth would be nothing but general consensus, as our friend Fresco has claimed - much better than me - in all these months of discussion.

Well put.

I noted these two works (from Wittgenstein & Ayer) due to the depth of their analysis on notions such as truth, tautology, and logic. Both were mathematicians (logicians at that), and I found these works to be not definitive, but worthy of a read on such notions. Their analysis is exemplary, to my mind.

As for the Tractatus, I do hope I did not give the impression that it was either inferior or superior to his Investigations; if I have done so, my apologies- it was not intended. I mention the Tractatus only because I recently found myself in a heated skirmish with a philosophy prof on his ontology in the Tractatus. And I quote (her):

"What ontology? There are objects and states of affairs- nothing more. Anything you can say about his ontology can be summed up in one sentence."

Needless to say this threw me off my chair, and the battle ensued. I went so far as to correspond with Raymond D. Bradley on this matter.

Thanks for the reply.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
Fresco, I like your use of the adjective, "clinical" ("...that clinical destruction of the simplistic dualism of subjectivity-objectivity..."). I do see our discussion as having implications for mental health.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:01 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Fresco, I like your use of the adjective, "clinical" ("...that clinical destruction of the simplistic dualism of subjectivity-objectivity..."). I do see our discussion as having implications for mental health.

Wow..something I can agree with.

I see your discussion as having very serious mental health implications!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:27 pm
JLN,

Perhaps you have in mind the relationship between "mental health" and culture ? ... dissidents to official "truth" being classified as insane etc ?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:46 pm
Fresco, interesting interpretation, but I was actually thinking of the kind of "health" enjoyed by accomplished mystics. I do believe that the Buddha was not particularly interested in intellectual knowledge; he was interested the elimination of the suffering that resulted from the attachments (the "dukkha") entailed in a rigid and essentialist dualism.

Frank, please do not be offended if I ignore your input. Words like bullshyt are no argument at all. And let's face it, you really do not understand very much of what Fresco, Tywvel, I and others (who question the omnicompetence of dualism) are saying. You are a smart guy, but you are blocked and blind to the perspective we have been introducing for years now. And that's fine, but please exercise a bit more civility.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:53 pm
Jeez...I thought I was being very civil.

Fact is...the fate of the whole world...the fate of humanity...hangs in the balance.

But you as sholes would rather play your silly games than listen to something that really matters...and then give lectures about perspectives.

Hey...whatever gets ya past the graveyard!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
JLN,

Good points.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:45 pm
Frank said:
Quote:
But you as sholes would rather play your silly games than listen to something that really matters...and then give lectures about perspectives.

That's really not civil at all, Frank. Speaking honestly, you seem to have a desire for everyone to cave in and agree with you. I don't find it that big a deal (mostly since I agree with you 90% of the time anyway :wink: ), but it's obvious other people get pretty P.O.ed by it. Perhaps you could try being a little less...snarky.

BTW, I'm really enjoying our conversation in the companion thread NobleCon started - keep it going. Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 11:46 pm
fresco wrote:
Reality lies in the interaction between observer and observed and neither can be specified separately.

Coming from you, fresco, I find this a surprisingly reasonable statement. And if you had said that all reality lies in the observer's perception of the observed, I might be persuaded to agree with you. But what is this thing you call "interaction?" Is it the same thing as "perception?"
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:16 am
Joe.

I am following authors who hold that "perception" is another form of "interaction". This takes a broad view of "life" to include all structures from "cell" to "community" and beyond. The mechanisms of "perception" are seen as similar to the mechanisms of "digestion" etc.

As a Chaplinesque picture, consider the differential classification of "the world" by a hungry man and a sated man. (Chaplins companion, who sees him as a "chicken" pursues him round the hut with an axe) . As in survival stories involving canabalism, the definition of "food" is subject to social consenus.....but by extrapoliation so is the definition of all "things" in all scenarios...what we call "aberrent perception" is subject to negotiation....what we call "things", "properties" "facts" or "events..are subject to negotiation via a shared language.

"Truth" is about smoothing the flow within the flux !
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 03:54 am
Taliesin181 wrote:
Frank said:
Quote:

That's really not civil at all, Frank. Speaking honestly, you seem to have a desire for everyone to cave in and agree with you. I don't find it that big a deal (mostly since I agree with you 90% of the time anyway :wink: ), but it's obvious other people get pretty P.O.ed by it. Perhaps you could try being a little less...snarky.

BTW, I'm really enjoying our conversation in the companion thread NobleCon started - keep it going. Very Happy

Don't take this too seriously, Tal. The smile you see on my face in my avatar never leaves for long. Just poking the pompous in the eye.

In any case, there's a lot more at stake here than you might suppose.

More about that later. Gotta work this morning...and I've got a big golf match this afternoon.

Life goes on...and so does delusion!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 05:29 am
Later addition,

Joe, your focus on the observer's perception tends to ignore that perception is serving both individual and social needs via language.
"The world" is both different for each observer and similar for a particular social group. Each level of organism is "attuned" to the world.
Such "tuning" or "interraction" involves a complex mechanism of structural coupling at several levels.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:26 am
fresco wrote:
Joe.

I am following authors who hold that "perception" is another form of "interaction". This takes a broad view of "life" to include all structures from "cell" to "community" and beyond. The mechanisms of "perception" are seen as similar to the mechanisms of "digestion" etc.

Well, I'll grant that perception is another form of interaction, but, in terms of "reality," isn't it the only kind of "interaction" that matters?

fresco wrote:
As a Chaplinesque picture, consider the differential classification of "the world" by a hungry man and a sated man. (Chaplins companion, who sees him as a "chicken" pursues him round the hut with an axe) .

Let's give credit where credit is due: the actor who portrayed Big Jim McKay was the incomparable Mack Swain. We should also bear in mind that Swain's vision of Chaplin as a chicken was clearly delusional; it wasn't based on a different linguistic classification of the world, it was based upon a mental defect.

fresco wrote:
As in survival stories involving canabalism, the definition of "food" is subject to social consenus.....but by extrapoliation so is the definition of all "things" in all scenarios...what we call "aberrent perception" is subject to negotiation....what we call "things", "properties" "facts" or "events..are subject to negotiation via a shared language.

"Truth" is about smoothing the flow within the flux !

I agree that language conditions perception, although I don't know if I would go so far as to say that language controls perception. As for "flux," I have no idea what that is.

fresco wrote:
Joe, your focus on the observer's perception tends to ignore that perception is serving both individual and social needs via language.

I'm not ignoring it, I just don't see why I should pay attention to the purpose of perception.

fresco wrote:
"The world" is both different for each observer and similar for a particular social group. Each level of organism is "attuned" to the world.
Such "tuning" or "interraction" involves a complex mechanism of structural coupling at several levels.

How do you know that?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:33 am
Joe,

I am citing the Santiago theory of cognition. Structural coupling is based on a mathematical model of embedded hierarchies of cybernetic loops or "hypercycles". However this also has implications for the word "knowledge" in as much that "structural coupling" is seen in a Piagetian manner as "successful (harmonious)" interaction....thus "knowing" could be deemed a predisposition to interact successfully. In the traditional sense I cannot answer you because such would imply the existence of "facts". This rejection of static facts brings us on to "flux"...all is changing constantly at various relative rates....Bohm the physicist for example said that nouns are really "slow verbs" and Heisenberg said there are no "things" only "relationships".

I would point out also that the scientific status of a "theory" does not rest in in its "proof", but in its coherence, utility and elegance. For me the above is the only current theory which avoids the problems of a "Cartesian Theatre" and attempts to unite such potentially disparate fields as physics, biology, psychology and sociology.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:58 am
Frank said:
Quote:
Don't take this too seriously, Tal. The smile you see on my face in my avatar never leaves for long. Just poking the pompous in the eye.

That sounds ominous. What do you think is "at stake".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:13 pm
Taliesin181 wrote:
Frank said:
Quote:

That sounds ominous. What do you think is "at stake".

Not really all that ominous!

All that is at stake is the fate of humanity.

No big deal.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm
Goddam golf match got weathered out.

Winds were so high at Neshanic Valley, the pond to the left of the first tee had small waves on it.

THAT is a big deal!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:32 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Goddam golf match got weathered out.

Winds were so high at Neshanic Valley, the pond to the left of the first tee had small waves on it.

THAT is a big deal!

maybe God knew you would take His name in vain, and punished you in advance. Laughing
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Frank said:
Quote:
Not really all that ominous!

All that is at stake is the fate of humanity.

No big deal.

Care to elaborate?

Quote:

That's insane. I think the most I've ever seen are ripples.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
fresco wrote:
Joe,

I am citing the Santiago theory of cognition. Structural coupling is based on a mathematical model of embedded hierarchies of cybernetic loops or "hypercycles". However this also has implications for the word "knowledge" in as much that "structural coupling" is seen in a Piagetian manner as "successful (harmonious)" interaction....thus "knowing" could be deemed a predisposition to interact successfully. In the traditional sense I cannot answer you because such would imply the existence of "facts". This rejection of static facts brings us on to "flux"...all is changing constantly at various relative rates....Bohm the physicist for example said that nouns are really "slow verbs" and Heisenberg said there are no "things" only "relationships".

Let's take the last point first. If Heisenberg said that there are no "things," only "relationships," then he was clearly mistaken, since there must be at least one "thing" in his epistemology that is not relational: the notion of "relationship." For if "relationship" is also a relational term, then it is a viciously circular concept, and thus empty of meaning. And so with your embedded hierarchies and your hypercycles and your fluxes and anything else that you can throw out of your jargonistic grab bag. If all knowledge is relative, including the notion of relativity, then there is no knowlege at all. That doesn't call facts into question, that calls everything into question.

fresco wrote:
I would point out also that the scientific status of a "theory" does not rest in in its "proof", but in its coherence, utility and elegance. For me the above is the only current theory which avoids the problems of a "Cartesian Theatre" and attempts to unite such potentially disparate fields as physics, biology, psychology and sociology.

I agree with you regarding theories and proofs.
0 Replies