Is truth subjective or objective?

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:40 pm
fresco wrote:
yitwail,

Note that people have died of heart attacks when threatened with "blanks" and the legal definition of "assault" includes the threat of violence. I bring this in (together with anthropological reports of the effectiveness of "curses") in defense of the concept of "social realty".

But as you correctly identified what was implied earlier is neither idealism nor materialism. "Social" stresses the nature of the level of structure in which "reality" is significant. The currency of such reality is language, a medium for social exchange, yet a currency without a "gold standard". It is the futile search for such a standard that gives rise to the idea of an "ultimate reality", or "objective truth".

Or at least...that is your guess.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:42 pm
Question to Taliesin,

Do you "know" you "exist" in dreamless sleep ?
Surely "you" or "your body" would only be in existence for others !
To "exist" is "to interact". Our so-called "knowledge of reality" is a set of expectancies about such interactions.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:02 pm
fresco wrote:
yitwail,

Note that people have died of heart attacks when threatened with "blanks" and the legal definition of "assault" includes the threat of violence. I bring this in (together with anthropological reports of the effectiveness of "curses") in defense of the concept of "social realty".

fresco, i admire your ingenuity, but your example doesn't suffice, because death by gunshot usually looks quite different from death by heart failure.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:08 pm
Frank,

Come on now, don't you think this tired old game of chanting "silly guess" is at bit inappropriate when we are discussing "the nature of truth". ? What are you actually trying to say here ? ....that we should ditch "philosophy" and stick with "common sense" ?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:48 pm
yitwail,

I'm not denying that different potential realities exist with or without "blanks". I'm pointing out that your original "potential picture" involving "no death" is subject to negotiation. Your equivocation of "blank" with "harmless" is exactly the point made in the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis about language determining thought. BTW I think it was Bateson who said "We exist in language".

After the event, we can agree that "your gun caused his death" or " you were defending yourself against an intruder" or "you had a bad childhood"....etc etc....but each "reality" including the existence of "guns" is or was subject to social negotiation.

So lets move on to the scenario where X, a native of some distant island, is killed by a lightening bolt. How do we "know" of this "event" unless we involved in some social relationship which defines it as such. Otherwise it is a non-event...it has no reality unless it attuned directly or indirectly to our awareness.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:43 pm
fresco: That's a pretty good question. On the one hand, since I'm unconscious, I would not be aware of my body...but on the other hand, there is still unconscious awareness, which is, IMO, much stronger than conscious realization, so in that respect...I would be aware, so I would still exist. Even "dreamless sleep" has brainwaves, so there's still thought, and thus existence.
Thanks for making me think. :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:44 pm
Yitwail, your point is taken, i.e., "fresco.. death by gunshot usually looks quite different from death by heart failure." Nevertheless the social symbolic dimension can apply to both threats with blanks as well as the "justification" to shoot with bullets. Some empirical support for the above: I lived in a small rural community in Mexico for a couple of years. During that time people died from the "knowledge" that they had been cursed by witchcraft and/or sorcery. They live in a world where common sense (actually,cultural sense) acknowledges the effectiveness of supernatural "technology" with the consequence that their bodies react lethally to the belief that they have been cursed. Also, during that time, people were shot to death as punishment for the alleged practice of sorcery or for being witches. When the latter happens the killers are protected from the police with the understanding that their acts served to protect their community.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:46 pm
Are you guys still debating this stuff? Barf.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:29 pm
SC, what is it you think we are debating? I've lost track.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:47 pm
SC, it's either this, or trying to think of a clever phrase that starts with the word "it" for the WHAT'S NEXT trivia game.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:26 pm
Taliesin

...."there is still unconscious awareness" ...... Laughing

.....I'll let Frank sort that one out !
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:29 pm
If Freud is right that there are unconscious intentions, would that not suggest awareness at various levels?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:55 am
Quote:
If Freud is right that there are unconscious intentions, would that not suggest awareness at various levels?

Freud believed that there's the conscious and the sub-conscious. The former must control the latter (?).

I don't think this suggest a level of awareness.
0 Replies

NobleCon

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 01:22 am
If I may, I recommend two works from two philosophers:

Ludwig Wittgenstein; Tractatus Logico Philosophicus

A. J. Ayer; Language, Truth, and Logic

These works revolve around language, logic, and mathematics, but their insights into the notion of truth are astounding. Well worth the money.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 04:23 am
NobleCon

Wittgenstein's last work, "Philosophischen Untersuchungen" is not inferior to the Tractatus. In some ways it's a refutation of it.
The principal aspect of his last book is the refutation of the traditional concept of "essence". He applies that, even to language, showing that word definitions depend on the use we make of those words. He raises, in my opinion, a serious problem, not only to metaphysics but also to science.
In this case truth would be nothing but general consensus, as our friend Fresco has claimed - much better than me - in all these months of discussion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:24 am
fresco wrote:
Frank,

Come on now, don't you think this tired old game of chanting "silly guess" is at bit inappropriate when we are discussing "the nature of truth". ? What are you actually trying to say here ? ....that we should ditch "philosophy" and stick with "common sense" ?

No, Fresco...that is not what I said.

You wrote:
Quote:

But as you correctly identified what was implied earlier is neither idealism nor materialism. "Social" stresses the nature of the level of structure in which "reality" is significant. The currency of such reality is language, a medium for social exchange, yet a currency without a "gold standard". It is the futile search for such a standard that gives rise to the idea of an "ultimate reality", or "objective truth".

And I responded...

"Or at least, that is your guess."

Nearly as I can tell...it is nothing more than a guess. Yet you present it as though it is a revelation from On High.

It is...as information goes...as much bullshyt as the theistic guesses about REALITY...and as the atheistic guesses about REALITY.

I, personally, do not know the nature of REALITY. I do not see anywhere near enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base meaningful guesses.

I don't see enough for you and JL and Twyvel to base your guesses either...and for you to present them as more than guesses is so underhanded, you really shouldn't be lecturing others about ethics and tactics.

I hope that answers your question.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:42 am
val wrote:
NobleCon

Wittgenstein's last work, "Philosophischen Untersuchungen" is not inferior to the Tractatus. In some ways it's a refutation of it.
The principal aspect of his last book is the refutation of the traditional concept of "essence". He applies that, even to language, showing that word definitions depend on the use we make of those words. He raises, in my opinion, a serious problem, not only to metaphysics but also to science.
In this case truth would be nothing but general consensus, as our friend Fresco has claimed - much better than me - in all these months of discussion.

i'm going to tackle Philosophical Investigations, in an English translation, as soon as i finish Hume's "Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion." i get involved in theological discussions from time to time, also. can you suggest something readable and illuminating on the basis of morality in the absence of religious belief? ethics is the third area of philosophy that interests me, besides metaphysics & religion. these topics happen to be interrelated somewhat, which is another reason i find them all of interest.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:48 am
fresco

Quote:
Do you "know" you "exist" in dreamless sleep ?
Surely "you" or "your body" would only be in existence for others !
To "exist" is "to interact". Our so-called "knowledge of reality" is a set of expectancies about such interactions.
turiya
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:58 am
What is there about the air in the subcontinent that causes them to suppose their guesses about the unknown are better than the guesses of people elsewhere?

And why, oh why, do people tout the guesses of the subcontinent's people as though they were revealing great truths?

And finally, when will people finally understand the value to themselves and to humanity of simply acknowledging that the unknown is just that...unknown...

...and that the clues we have to the REALITY are not up to the job of making reasonable guesses about it?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:18 am
twyvel,

Thanks for that reference.

I am familiar with the "no-self" aspect of "higher states of consciousness" but this would also transcend the dynamic interactional model I have proposed earlier and attain a timeless serenity beyond the flux. "Truth" at that level would be with a capital "T" and would be beyond discussion. It may be that clinical destruction of the simplistic dualism of subjectivity-objectivity prepares the way for a consideration of such levels.
0 Replies