Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 02:58 pm
Quote:
...no matter how innocent
By coincidence I've recently encountered two examples, in a couple of threads I ended with '...c'mon, now...'

Sets me to wondering if somehow subconsciously I might be in the continuous process of composing supposedly innocent remarks that can easily be interpreted as insulting

If that's the case my most sincere apolos to everybody

Honest
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,615 • Replies: 19

centrox

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 03:06 pm
Mostly you seem to compose harmless or unintelligible remarks that are seen as idiotic. That's what you should be worrying about, but evidently aren't.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 03:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Try not to fret over it. I have found that on many websites similar in format to this one, there are some sad folk who seem to have nothing more to do with their time, than to whine and gripe about just about everything.
perennialloner

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 05:06 pm
@dalehileman,
Im not insulted by your remarks. Im annoyed by them, sometimes. I very much appreciate your responses. Many people either don't care to respond to my questions or if they do, treat the answer as obvious and any questioning of their response absurd or stupid--at least I get that sense. From you I never get that feeling, and I like that, which is why I appreciate your contributions and assistance, limited as it has been. Very rarely do I lash out at you but this time I became annoyed because you behaved in a way that I felt belittled me and my question. I told you that you didnt answer my question and you proceeded to tell me that you did. I understand that youre old. I dont know where you are mentally. Maybe this is just one of your quirks as a person. I could accept that if it werent so clear that youre condescending to me and through it all seeking attention from the playing dumb that is just your old age or your personality. If you just owned this behavior instead of constantly pretending you're this innocent old man, I'd be fine with it. But you don't and likely wont.
Below viewing threshold (view)
centrox

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 05:19 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
..not pretending but innocent...

Not waving but drowning?

Innocent my ass.
perennialloner

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 05:35 pm
@dalehileman,
If youre innocent, then why continue to post unhelpful things, and then continue to be unhelpful when called out. Are you rebelling against some perceived conspiracy against you? If so, im not conspiring against you. Im trying to learn English to the best of my ability. I gave you an opportunity to apologize or say you dont know the answer to my question or something, but "c'mon fella?" like I was being unreasonable. Kinda annoying.

Im a language learner. Im going to be frustrated when im looking for an answer and people seemingly have no interest in addressing my concerns and questions.
perennialloner

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 06:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
No offense at all Peren, but for what it's worth (apparently not much) I see thee as sort of divided between 'Good Guy' and 'Not'

I really don't know what this means, but for what's it's worth, I'm a young girl who's trying to improve at speaking and writing English and maybe learn some other things. My purpose here is not to be a 'good guy.'
perennialloner

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 08:30 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
okay, loner. We love ya just as much

Again, condescending to me. of course you didn't purposely do it so it's okay.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 10:00 am
@dalehileman,
Dale, for what it's worth I enjoy reading your posts. I find your manner very pleasant. I know some find you annoying, but what better way to annoy someone than with politeness?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 10:59 am
@perennialloner,
Quote:
so it's okay
Thanks Peren for understanding the old fella
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:02 am
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
I enjoy reading your posts
Why, thank you Tom, you've again made my entire week

Quote:
but what better way to annoy someone than with politeness?
I'm sure there's some such subconscious resolve, alas

(Allit intent)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 01:33 am
@TomTomBinks,
You're not learning English. PL has hit the nail squarely on the head. Dale confuses and misleads people learning to speak English. He's been told about it long enough for it to be anything other than deliberate. I think it gives him a sense of power knowing he's throwing a spanner in someone's learning.

Nobody is trying to shut him up, he can opine whimsically on anything else, but deliberately misleading people on ESL threads is just plain nasty. If he was really sorry he'd stop doing it.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 11:44 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
If he was really sorry he'd stop doing it
I really am Iz but probly won't
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 02:51 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
My purpose here is not to be a 'good guy
Nah Rennie, of course not. One of those things I've learned over the years however, is that on sites of this sort you mustn't take 'em all so seriously

Alliteration unintended but dontcha like it
0 Replies