Why Debra Saunders is voting for Bush

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:55 pm
Why I'm voting for Bush

WHEN TERRORISTS attacked the United States on Sept. 11, 2001, President Bush had to decide how to respond.

He could have treated the attacks as if they were a crime and appealed to the United Nations to help apprehend and punish al Qaeda operatives in Afghanistan.

Instead, Bush chose to send U.S. troops to hunt down al Qaeda and oust the Taliban regime that protected the terrorist group, even as the anti-war left accused him of killing innocent Afghans in an act of misguided vengeance.

Today, Afghanistan is a democracy. Women participated in the country's first direct presidential election. Iraq is about to hold an election, and Libya has begun disarming its nuclear weapons.

The U.S.-led coalition has not captured Osama bin Laden, but has managed to keep him underground.

Bush could have stopped with Afghanistan, but he believed that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction and feared that the Iraqi dictator would share those weapons to help al Qaeda or other terrorists make an even deadlier strike on American shores.

The world now knows that Bush, the CIA and other countries' intelligence agencies -- and even Hussein's Iraqi lieutenants until December 2002 -- were wrong about Iraq possessing WMD.

Still, Bush was right in his belief that Hussein was a threat. As intelligence analyst Charles Duelfer found, Hussein had used the Oil for Food program to begin rearming. His top people believed that as the U.N. sanctions against Iraq eroded, Hussein would begin to build a nuclear arsenal.

Bush also understood that Hussein's very survival sent the message that a madman could fight a global giant, lose and still come out on top. Or as bin Laden once told Time magazine, the U.S. withdrawal from Somalia after the brutal 1993 murder of 24 U.S. troops in Somalia on a humanitarian mission made him realize "more than before that the American soldier was a paper tiger and after a few blows ran in defeat."

Did the Bush administration make mistakes? Of course. There is strong reason to believe this administration sent too few troops to Iraq. And it doesn't help that the top Bushies have a way of freezing out those likely to tell them news they don't want to hear. Also, Bush so overvalues loyalty that it leads him to overlook incompetence.

The flip side of those traits means that he doesn't dump people -- or long-range plans -- because of bad polls.

Enter Sen. John Kerry, who spent a great deal of the last year claiming Bush "misled" him. That is, Kerry's vote in favor of a congressional resolution authorizing force in Iraq was made in the mistaken belief that Bush would go to war as "a last resort."

Nonsense. Before the vote on the war resolution, Bush told the United Nations that it could either be "irrelevant" or a real peacekeeping body that held Hussein accountable. The war resolution echoed Bush's insistence that "the U.N. Security Council resolutions will be enforced, and the just demands of peace and security will be met, or action will be unavoidable." When Kerry heard "last resort," the drum was already beating "war."

Kerry told The Chronicle last spring that he was misled because he believed Bush didn't mean what he told the United Nations; "the chatter" in Washington held that Bush "hadn't made up his mind. He was looking for an out. That's what a lot of people thought."

Now a lot of people think Kerry -- who came on the national scene as a young man who asked Congress how it could ask a young man to die for "a mistake" -- voted to authorize a war which he believed was a mistake, simply because the polls showed it was popular and he was running for president.

Will Kerry get America out of Iraq quickly, as many of his supporters want him to do? I have no idea.

Kerry could get into the White House, hear history, and be as muscular as he has sounded as he woos swing voters.

Then again, Kerry's recent remarks to the New York Times Magazine suggest he would return America to short-attention-span foreign policy, a la Somalia. "We have to get back to the place we were," he said, "where terrorists are not the focus of our lives, but they're a nuisance." Kerry then likened terrorism to the perennial blight of organized crime or prostitution.

I do know that if Kerry does get weak in Iraq, he will prove to the Osama bin Ladens of the world that America is weak-willed and will back off when the going gets tough. And then the war in Iraq will have been a mistake.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 447 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
Sounds to me as though Debra is a shallow thinker...which probably accounts for the reason she really is voting for Bush.

It is interesting to see her rationalizations for voting for the moron...whose administration is so very drastically f*****g up our country and the world.

But I appreciate your taking the time to post this tripe, McG.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
Let's see now. Terrorist activity's way up, internationally. The invasion's not going so well. International respect for the U.S. tossed into the dumper from a post 9-11 high. Just a couple good reasons to vote for Bush.

Go for it. It's definitely working to my advantage right now.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:30 pm
Debra IS a shallow thinker, and her rational goes right along with the lies from Bush and Cheney that are firmly believed by the Republican consituency.

Quote:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/columnists/molly_ivins/9975911.htm?1c

It's the little things, folks

By Molly Ivins

Seems like every group and its hamster has put out some kind of dossier on the past four years. Top Bush Lies. One Hundred Mistakes Bush Could Admit To. Best Scandals. Biggest Bush Flip-Flops. Iraq. The Economy. The Environment.

Corporate Pork and Payoffs Galore. Homeland Insecurity. The Deficit. On and on it goes.

But I like to remember the little things, those itty-bitty things that really made it special. Those touches of style. The je ne sais quoi of it all.

Like choosing Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday to announce that his administration would oppose affirmative action in the University of Michigan case, calling it "divisive," "unfair" and "unconstitutional." Classy timing.

Of course, George W. Bush (Andover, Yale, Delta Kappa Epsilon, Harvard Business, three failed oil companies rescued by Daddy's friends, set up by Daddy's friends in baseball and given a huge cut for a tiny investment) never experienced affirmative action in his life. Made it all on his own, pulled himself up by his bootstraps. Black people can do it, too.

Timing is kind of a Bush specialty. In February 2001, the day that a major earthquake hit the Northwest, Bush killed a federal program designed to help communities deal with the effects of natural disasters. Of course, Florida in an election year -- different story.

Remember when he went to visit the rescued miners from Quecreek, Pa.? It was a great photo op. Except the year before, Bush had cut the mine safety budget, halted regulatory improvements and reduced enforcement of safety standards. The Department of Labor stopped work on more than a dozen mine safety regulations from the Clinton years. But hey, Bush was really glad that those nine guys made it out alive. And what a photo op it was.

You probably don't remember the time he visited the Youth Opportunity Center, a job training site in Portland, Ore. Hailed it as a model, praised the center and its staff. A month later, he cut it out of the budget.

Here's one of my faves:

In his big State of the Union address of 2002, Bush said: "A good job should lead to security in retirement. I ask Congress to enact new safeguards for 401(k) and pension plans."

The Bush plan allows companies to switch from traditional fixed-benefit plans to what's called cash-balance plans. It saves corporations millions a year -- in the case of large companies, as much as $100 million. Older workers can lose up to 50 percent of their pensions.

The Bush rules not only permit the conversions -- they also give cash-balance plans a tax advantage, as well as protection from age discrimination lawsuits. It's the perfect Bush plan: Corporations get to bilk workers, and they get a tax break for it -- plus, nobody can sue.

Nobody paid any attention to this one except the beneficiaries, since it was during the Iraq war:

The Commodity Futures Trading Commission -- the one that laid the groundwork for Enron and is supposed to protect investors from abusive practices -- passed three new rules in March 2003. According to The New York Times, the rules "reduce the quality of disclosure required in reports of past performance, increase the opportunity for advisers to put some clients' or their own interest ahead of others and curtail the already lax regulation on operators of hedge funds."

Hedge funds are derivatives on steroids, and the near-collapse of one hedge fund, Long Term Capital Management, nearly caused the financial equivalent of "the China syndrome." Alan Greenspan and Fed officials convinced bankers to join the LTCM rescue effort only when they pointed out that failure would result in "chaos" in financial markets and could damage economic growth worldwide. Less regulation, you bet.

Bait-and-switch is a constant Bush tactic. Right after 9-11, Bush went to ground zero, threw his arm around a firefighter and assured him and other rescue workers that he was with them. It was the photo op seen 'round the world and was endlessly resurrected at the Republican convention.

Except in August 2002, Bush pocket-vetoed $150 million in emergency grants for first-responders. The New York firefighters never got their money.

I have so many other favorite moments. Hilarious promises like $15 billion for AIDS in Africa. Those amusing judicial nominations, so bad that even the spineless Democrats finally had to filibuster. All the precious photo ops with the little children of color just before he squashed some other program to help them.

It's been a ball. But I've had enough.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
I realize that anyone who holds a different opinion is shallow thinker in your opinion Frank, but when he wins, you will still have to live with us.... :wink:
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:41 pm
Frank probably doesn't have anything to worry about, because Bush isn't going to win.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I realize that anyone who holds a different opinion is shallow thinker in your opinion Frank, but when he wins, you will still have to live with us.... :wink:

1) Bush ain't gonna win this election.

2) You realize wrong...I often think people who hold different opinions from mine are quite excellent thinkers. But in the case of people who see something worth voting for in the moron, George Bush...YES...I do see some shallow thinking.

3) But even though I see YOU doing lots of shallow thinking, McG...I still would love the opportunity to raise a glass of suds with you one day.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:48 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

1) Bush ain't gonna win this election.

Don't be so sure, you know those republicans can be mighty tricky. Maybe they will move the election up a day and not tell the Dems...

Quote:
2) You realize wrong...I often think people who hold different opinions from mine are quite excellent thinkers. But in the case of people who see something worth voting for in the moron, George Bush...YES...I do see some shallow thinking.

I did mean your specific view on this specific issue. I didn't mean for that to be a generalization.

Quote:
3) But even though I see YOU doing lots of shallow thinking, McG...I still would love the opportunity to raise a glass of suds with you one day.

Dammit! Me too!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:51 pm
Adirondacks in the spring?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:51 pm
Who's Debra Saunders, and why should I care who she's voting for?

(Which is what I would ask about any of these "topics" that seem to consist of a paste of some other person's ideass. Not very creative, is it?)
0 Replies