BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL - new series on PBS

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:25 am
I'm with you and I hope you had sweet dreams of a chorus line dancing in your dreams!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
I did indeed dream of a chorus line last night and Yul Brynner, too. Laughing

And before I went to bed, just to be on the safe side, I programmed both a tape upstairs and a DVD downstairs for 2AM and 4AM (the first two segments) All that I got when I played back this morning was a black screen. When I went to the site Mac posted here listing the program times, I saw this message which wasn't there last night:
"This program is not airing on this channel during the next two weeks." So -- I still haven't seen the first two hours. It's beginning to look like I may have to buy the DVDs (lol)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:06 am
On our KCET station, the series is being repeated tomorrow morning, tomorrow evening and Monday PM.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:28 am
Our station is WQED and it was listed to air Saturday, Sunday and Monday. But, it will be on again. I guess I'll just have to be patient.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:37 am
I didn't save it to my DMR hard drive but recorded directly to DVD so I can't make copies.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
Oh, if it doesn't show up, I'll buy the DVD set. Smile

LW: An aside: (Since we don't have PMs and I don't want to start a thread just for this situation) Have you ever encountered a "blind" spot in your tape when transferring it to DVD. I have until Nov. 8 to decide whether to keep my GO DVD/VHS recorder. It makes lovely copies, but every now and then it freezes while recording from a tape. And when that happens, the DVD player stops and I lose my recording. The manufacturer told the sales person that it's probably because of a "blind" spot in the tape.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 12:20 pm
Drop out in old video tapes especially if there aren't stored in a completely dust free, low humidity environment are not uncommon. That it would stop the DVD recorder is curious. I have a GO DVD/VHS recorder but it's in mothballs right now because I got a DVD Player/Changer and a DMR (records onto a hard drive and also burns DVD's). It also could be a stretched section of tape that makes the VHS temporarily bind up and your machine automatically stops the DVD recorder. My Sony VHS player/recorder is seperate and plugged into Input one on my Panasonic DMR so I haven't had a problem yet. If the tape is damaged and binds up or has dropouts, they will just get recorded. Of course, the tape also might stop as my machine stops if there is damage to the tape and could unravel or break in the machine.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 12:27 pm
Although I would like to see the site get credit, here's the whole thing for $36.00, no shipping cost and no sales tax! Yikes, how can you loose?

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/search.cfm
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:04 pm
Thanks, LW. I thought there was a glitch in the first GO I bought and exchanged it for the same model. It only happens occasionally and the tapes I've been recording recently are quite old so I believe the problem is with the tapes and not the GO. I think I'll keep this one. I've already transferred over 80 hours of tape segments onto DVD and have been recording all the musicals TCM is showing this month so I really hate to give it up.

And thanks for the link. I glanced at it and am going to read further. Great price. Very Happy
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
Uh Oh. It looks like it's out of stock. Do you give this company your charge account number?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:11 pm
Although the GO machine I believe has a self-cleaning head, they still recommend using a VHS tape cleaner. I've had my machine do basically the same thing when I've had it running.

Deep Discount is always the best price and don't ask me how they do it. Hope they don't get gobbled up by Amazon. Can't see why anybody on a multiple set wouldn't want to save that much and it's certainly a huge savings from the PBS store.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
They ship pretty fast on their out-of-stock items. It's listed twice so I wonder if one of them is the collection of full length showtunes?

BTW, the bad thing about old tapes is that the oxides begin to loose their adhesion and strip off onto your player's heads. Even a self-cleaning machine can't handle that. There are tape cleaners on the market which also rewinds tapes. You run old tapes through it with a cleaning solution and it gets rid of the loose oxides. This may or may not affect the picture quality but with loose oxides, the loss of quality is going to show up anyway.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:25 pm
They have a secure page for giving credit cards -- don't you have Verisign protecting you cards? That requires a password to use the card on nearly every site. There's also a "bill me later" feature at Deep Discount but I've never used it. This might mean that you get your DVD with a bill and you can pay by check or credit card by filling out the form on the invoice.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:25 pm
The site says:

"Deep Discount DVD only carries region 1 DVD's "

Are they standard DVDs? So far I've only bought Phillips, Memorex and Anitron DVD-RWs for recording.

And, have you charged your items on your credit card? That's the way I'd like to handle it.

I appreciate your concern, LW.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:40 pm
Region 1 is USA. I've always used a credit card to buy from Deep Discount. Get on their E mail list as they run astounding specials from time to time (DVD's at almost half price) I got the best price on blank Panasonic DVD-R but don't remember the site I got the best price. Maybe it was J & R Music.

www.jandrmusic.com

Another good site is Half.com which is E Bay's store site and sometimes Overstock.com (I recently replaced my failing sub-woofer with the discontinued Jensen powered sub-woofer for $49.00! -- lists for $200.00)
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
thanks I'll inquire about the tape cleaner next week. I don't have Verisign (am not familiar with it), but I think I'll use my credit card at DeepDiscount anyway. The "bill me later" feature requests the last four digits of Social Security number. I don't know about that!

I noticed the two DVDs also. It looks like the second one listed is in stock. hmmm?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 02:45 pm
Mac: I apologize for the digression , but I did get some much needed info from LW. It won't happen again, I promise.

Anxiously waiting to hear what you thought of the Broadway Special.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:47 pm
They are both the same set and I haven't found the five DVD set of Broadway songs. Mac's a good joe -- I don't think he minds 'cause we're still really discussing the show.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 06:51 pm
They state in the description that it's a six-part series so they've got to be what was shown on TV. I have no idea what the additional DVDs with songs might be. I'll hold off on buying the DVD until I can track down what the other DVDs contain.

LW: Mac's a "she". And yes, I don't think she'll mind. She's tops in my book. Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:24 pm
I don't mind in the least! Digress away... Very Happy
0 Replies