Cookware for a Beginner

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
Moms started me out with a set of WearEver non-stick cookware and then, several years later, bought a set of RevereWare for my birthday. I still have both sets.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 07:11 pm
My ma gave me $2 bucks, kicked me out the door, and said, "go feed yourself!" c.i.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 10:13 pm
Don't believe you, c.i..
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 10:24 pm
Can't, for the life of me, remember the name of Mom's cookware.....but I do know that it was a gift from my Nana for my parent's wedding. We're still using it.....with pleasure. Cleans up like a dream! (I'm an experimentive, messy cook!)
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 02:21 pm
Hi All!

mckenzie- The set I have is "Kirkland", the Costco house brand, and I'm telling you- for inexpensive pans, they hold up and do a great job!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:10 pm
JerryR, You sure your food is free of Teflon? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:18 pm
Mine was/is Farberware. Not fancy, not nonstick, just works. Heavy bottoms, straight sides, goes in the dishwasher. Perfect.

I also have some of that Club Aluminum, so yes, I do remember that stuff. In fact, I use the dutch oven quite often.

I have some of the original Calphalon anondized, and I really hate it. Everything sticks to it unless you use tons of oil, it's hard to clean, and cannot be put in the dishwasher. I do have a new, large non-stick Calphalon skillet/omelet pan from Target, and I love it, but only for certain things, as the coating prevents the pan from getting hot enough for certain dishes.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:28 pm
Some great suggestions here. In my kitchen (my mother's kitchen, which will be half-empty when I leave) the pans I use the most are the Revere Ware covered sauce pans. You know, they have little, medium and big. I love those things - great for sauces and heating soups and boiling just a few portions of stuff at a time....

It doesn't have to be Revere Ware, but any saucepans like that would be great. I'm starting to sound like you're buying them for me!!! <making note on 'things to buy' list>

I think I use those saucepans more than anything else. I don't think I'll be able to sneak them out of the house though.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:29 pm
And does she have any of those Corningware bowls? Those are good too - for mixing, storing, baking mac & cheese....mmmmmmm........
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:01 pm
cicerone imposter- I hope so, cause I don't think they're teflon pans Very Happy

They're also not the pans I mentioned,..oops!! Embarrassed Laughing

OK so I was debating between these two brands, what I actually have is from BJ's Wholesale Club,..same price anodized "quantanium".

Sorry, it's been a LOOONG few weeks! Laughing

What is "Quantanium"

Image of Pan set
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:56 pm
Mckenzie
I did a googles search and it looks like Vita-Craft are still around. My set is still like new and I've been very happy with them so far, although the pans really don't thrill me because things tend to stick when you're frying something. Pancakes are impossible and I have a few non stick pans for those tasks especially since I don't like to use butter or oil to cook my eggs and stuff like that. The Vita-Craft pans are deep so they do work out great for my homemade spaghetti sauce and stuff like that. They just don't fry very well no matter what you grease the pan with.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:03 pm
I also started out with odds and ends froms Moms...and actually still have quite a few of them banging around. Like the Revere Ware but, not the cleaning up of it. recently Ive gone to Macy's while they have a sales and pick up one piece at a time of their Tools of The Trade line, very nice, my favorites right now. I have the good old cast iron back there too, gotta love that stuff. Still have the old air popper too! Wish I had the electric griddle Sad
Things my mother bought me that still survive today: Corningware and Pyrex...just lovely!!!!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:15 pm
Quinn
Corningware and Pyrex are awsome. I love glass cookwear :-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:22 pm
Don't forget knives, and don't skimp. Knives should last a lifetime. I recommend Wusthof, of which I personally like the classic. Two knives to start, a 6" chefs and a 3" paring knife, then pieces can be added over time. These are not cheap but they are worth every penny.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:34 pm
When I actually sat down and thought about this silly 3pc set of pyrex mixing bowls and how long Ive had them..Id say MORE than worth whatever the investment was way back then for Mom...knocking on wood...not even a scratch in...hummm...16 years??? golly. And used quite alot.
Gotta agree with the knives thing too, still looking for a set of my own for eternity. Although, my drawer of knives still has some great ones.. leftovers from Mom..scary!...she probably got them as wedding gifts or something.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:07 am
I may be all set in pots, pans, and bakewear, but a good set of knives is something I really could use. I don't mind paying a good price for them as long as they last and stay sharp for a long time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:39 am
All high quality knives will need to be sharpened occasionally, a few strokes along the sharpening steel. After a few years of use, they will need to be rehoned.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:22 pm
gezzy - i've done really well finding excellent quality knives at estate auctions (and i know your area is famous for really really good estate auctions). Definitely worth checking out.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:55 pm
So much good advice.

I'll look at the Kirkland brand from Costco, Jerry 'cause we're there every couple of weeks.

The only place I found RevereWare, so far, in Winnipeg, was at Wal-Mart, of all places. They had two different sets, but not the one I'd be interested in. Also, the sets come with a frying pan. Waste of money, in my opinion. I've never used mine, except for scrambled eggs, on occasion. Everything sticks. RevereWare is great, but I'd rather buy open stock.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:56 pm
Searching the stores, I saw Calphalon at Linens & Things. I'll have to look more closely at it. I'd never heard of it before.
0 Replies