Cookware for a Beginner

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:57 pm
My daughter has her 21st birthday coming up in mid-February. She wants pots and pans, looking ahead to when she's living on her own. I started out with Revere Ware 30 years ago. What did you start out with?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,561 • Replies: 53
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:59 pm
Revere Ware!

Love it. Very Happy (The Pro line.)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:03 pm
sozobe, I loved it too, and that's what I was thinking, a second generation user. But you know what? I can't find it here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:07 pm
There has to be a lot online -- found this with a quick search:

http://www.dreamretail.com/SV000070800417.html

Got ours about 6 years ago and just love it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 12:12 am
A microwave oven. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 04:26 am
Those are very nice and I will have a set one of these days. I love the see through covers :-) I bought myself a nice set of pots and pans before I even had my own place as well. I paid a fortune for then and I still have them to this day which is why I haven't gotten another set. My set is still like new after 21 years and I'm starting to think they are going to last forever :-) They are very heavy and are called Vita-Craft.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 07:24 am
Hi All,
I started out with a set of cast iron, and still have it.
It was inexpensive, heats like a dream, and when seasoned properly is quite nonstick.
I like the versitility of being able to pop it into the oven or broiler.
Since I cook for a living, I've tried out many different types. I now use a set of anodized aluminun/titanium clad pans, the nonstick is not a coating, but is the whole pan, so you can use any utensil, and not worry about scratches. The set I have was relatively cheap, I think it was around $150. for 2 skillets, 1 lg covered fryer, a medium saucepan, a large saucepan, and a nice big stockpot, all with lids, all oven safe. I'm really happy with it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 08:20 am
We bought Le Creuset (they're cast iron) in 1992 with funds from my bridal shower. It's still working beautifully - I love it!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 08:51 am
Excellent thread. Will provide me with some ideas about an update for my kitchen ware.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 08:59 am
what did i start out with? odds and ends from my mother's kitchen. next generation in my kitchen - more discards from my mother - next generation? i've got some dansk pots that i love - i've had some of them about 10 - 15 years. i'm not so fond of their pans - i ended up getting some cheap pans that work much better than the dansk ones.

i had planned to go buy one cheap, light-weight pot to make popcorn in (it doesn't come out well in the heavier dansk pots), but i caved and bought a hot-air popper instead.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 09:40 am
Like ehBethie I started out with a collection is mis-matched odds and ends.. I've managed to go through several different sets over the years and the only set that has survived is my cast iron stuff that I had originally bought for when I go camping. As heavy as they are you just can't kill real cast iron and I always end up coming back to them.

I had bought a new set (no name brand..) back in October and the non-stick coating is already starting to peel off of them after a few uses.. They'll be tossed shortly and I'll be back to good old cast iron again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 09:55 am
Heavy is good. Not always pretty, but good. I want mrs. hamburger's last cast iron pan - but as it's part of her original wedding kit, i suspect that battle will be going on for a while longer.

(it's soooooooo perfectly seasoned - i waaaaaaant that pan!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 09:56 am
I just bought a set of cast iron at a flea market this summer. I have a revere pro pasta pot set and a cephalon risotto pan - my favorites.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 10:02 am
Odds and Ends for me too. My favorite pot, which is now holding a cooling potted flank steak and vegetables, is a Revere Ware copper bottom pot. Got it for Green Stamps, and in a few years could conceivably qualify as an "antique"!

Subsequently, I have bought a number of more Revere Ware pots, but without the copper. (I am not into cleaning copper). They are not too expensive, and work well for me!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 10:43 am
I started out with a set of Club Aluminum. Remember that stuff? I still have the Dutch oven, but since all the hubub about aluminum and Alzhiemers I quite using it. My best pans are Calphalon and I love them.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:45 pm
c.i., that's it, exactly. I've failed as a mother. Her cooking skills don't go much beyond thawing and reheating food I've prepared and frozen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 05:52 pm
ok, so a microwave, a toaster oven and lots of rubbermaid?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:09 pm
gezzy, do they still make Vita-Craft? 21 years is a good long time.

I have some old cast-iron pans, too, that were my mother's. They are very old, and well-seasoned, so they cook beautifully.

What is the brand, Jerry? That's not a bad price. I like the non-stick idea, but like fishin', most of them are ruined after a few months in my kitchen.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:12 pm
Beth, yeah, and I've got my old microwave and toaster oven in the basement. Lots of Rubbermaid too.

Hey! I don't have to buy her anything for her birthday. Laughing

I used an old aluminum pot for popping for years, until I had to pop about 20 jars of Redenbacher's for a block party. I bought a hot air popper and like it much better.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:13 pm
mckenzie, I knew my offer on this forum would not go for naught. Heck, I don't know of any sane person that's a beginner that doesn't consider as a first purchase, the great invention called, Microwave Oven. Wink c.i.
0 Replies