I'm willing to take the blame, are you?

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:26 pm
When John Kerry enters the White House next January, it will be because of me and my vote. I think he will make a tremendous difference for the strength, both political and moral, for this nation, but should he fail to live up to his promises, should he fail to find ways of uniting the opposition to terror throughout the world while building a vibrant economy here at home, it will fall to me to take the blame. After all it was my vote that put him in office.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I pledge to accept the blame for any mis-steps, errors or out-right goofs made by my President, John Kerry. If he screws up any of ya'll can email me and say "See what you've caused?" or even "See what you've done, you dolt??" and I will be properly chagrined and not overly defensive and certainly not react in righteous indignation and call you bad names. Because I will know it's my fault and I will take the blame.

Now what I would like to know is how many Bush supporters are willing to take the same pledge?

Joe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 39
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:56 pm
I may still vote Cobb (Green)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:59 pm
I will if a policy I supported turns out to be crap. If it's apolicy I'm against, I'll be just as mad as the next person.

I don't think ANY of us completely agree with everything a candidate espouses.
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:15 pm
Blame is meaningless. Take all the blame you want, ultimately it doesnt really affect you. By the tone of your post I infer that you think you are being magnanimous by "taking the blame" and that us lowly republicans wouldnt consider such a gracious offer. Well, you are right, your "blame" notion is ulimately irrelevant and absurd. Who cares about blame, its the effects of Kerry policies that will matter and we'll all have to accept them.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:43 pm
See how many are showing up to let you take the blame, Joe.

Oh, how we love you! Laughing
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:55 pm
Joe, I don't know what's going to happen on 11/2 for sure. Bush was behind in the polls when I joined A2K, then ahead, then behind again...and now it's more or less even, I hear, or at least much too close to call.

But, yes, I'll vote for the president and view that vote as an expression of hope. I'm also glad I'm voting for someone, rather than against (although I realize not everyone here can do that for their own reasons). Regardless of how my vote is ultimately counted, I've been feeling optimistic about the recent elections in Afghanistan and the upcoming elections in Iraq. How wonderful and how exciting for the people of those countries!

I do have a question, if you'll indulge me. Please know this isn't meant to start any arguments (haven't we all had our fill of them), but is meant sincerely and I'd really be interested in the answer, if not from you, then any other rational Democrat or liberal or leftie who would attempt to answer. I was going to ask it at some point, but this thread seems the perfect place.

Say that John Kerry does indeed get elected. He's said that he'll keep his promise (it's on his website) to fight the war on terror and not cut and run in Iraq.

He also promises he'll get us out of the "wrong war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Is it realistic to think he can do both?

I think his constituency is counting on him to get us out, but a large group - his fundraisers and activists have been promised he'll be strong on terror.

One thing to remember, he won't have a solidly Democratic Congress. He's going to need the support of at least some Republicans (not just McCain) and I'm just not confident after the dirty politics of this election(yes, on both sides) they'll be willing. Wrong or right on this point, it's certainly something to consider.

Aren't I at least being realistic to wonder how Kerry would effectively fight the war on terror yet satisfy his peace-at-any-cost constituency?

I do understand your pledge, but I just have to wonder if all those others who are counting on him to do what he's said are being realistic in their expectations.

Whatever the outcome of this election, I hope neither of us is disappointed.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:41 am
JW, to answer your questions (though I don't belong to any of the groups you listed) yes, it's realistic to think that he can end the fighting in Iraq as well as fight the war on terror. Can he do it in 4 years? I doubt it, but it's worth a shot. One thing you should understand is that those who are not voting for Bush don't really believe that Iraq is part of the 'war on terror'.

Most of us voting for Kerry want a change in direction. I don't expect Kerry to fix everything that is broken. I do expect Kerry to bring professionalism to the White House. All presidents are restricted by Congress -- this is a good thing. Our current president, however, is not restricted by Congress. My hope is that a Kerry presidency will help remedy the exclusion of Democrats in Congress. That the Wolfowitzs, Perles, Libbys, Rumsfelds, and other unelected officials who have gained too much power with this administration will be shown the door. That the state department will once again be the american face in the world. That diplomacy will rise from the ashes. And most of all, that we will have a president who we can be proud to call the leader of the free world. The rest of the world doesn't view ignorance quite as endearingly as we do here in the states.

Bush had his chance and I'm unimpressed. I don't expect another 4 years of his presidency to be an improvement on his first 4.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:27 am
JustWonders wrote:
But, yes, I'll vote for the president and view that vote as an expression of hope.

Hope for what? That's what I don't understand about Bush voters.

Quote:
Regardless of how my vote is ultimately counted, I've been feeling optimistic about the recent elections in Afghanistan and the upcoming elections in Iraq. How wonderful and how exciting for the people of those countries!

But, if that is something to be proud of, the spreading of the ability to vote, who is next? If that is what makes one proud of Bush, and makes you want to vote for him, then it would have to follow that you want him to continue invading countries around the globe that do not allow voting. Where does it stop? (Note that I did not say Democracy since the people on the ballot are being chosen strategically by the current US administration. Elections in January, but there is no campaigning going on and only one person I know of that is running.)

Quote:
Say that John Kerry does indeed get elected. He's said that he'll keep his promise (it's on his website) to fight the war on terror and not cut and run in Iraq.

He also promises he'll get us out of the "wrong war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Is it realistic to think he can do both?

Yes. There was a report out a month or so ago saying a huge majority of the money allocated for training, infrustructure, and general rebuilding has yet to be spent. The money is already allocated. Spend it. Kerry has said he will do so by training the Iraqi's to defend themselves at a faster rate. This should have already been further along than it is.

Also, part of the coalition building that Kerry speaks of includes allowing other countries to partake in the rebuilding. Get the manpower into Iraq from around the world and get the roads, schools, waterlines, electric grids, etc built and operational quickly. The childish playground tactics of not allowing others to play cause they wouldn't do so by your rules, has to stop. That doesn't build good will, Iraq, or peace. This seems so clearly adult and mature to me that I have real trouble getting my mind around Bush and his supporters concept that you can't play now cause you didn't want to when we started. Guess what. They were right. There were no WMD's or reason to rush to war. Be a man. Admit it, say you're sorry and ask for help. (That last part is addressed to Bush, not you.)

Quote:
I think his constituency is counting on him to get us out, but a large group - his fundraisers and activists have been promised he'll be strong on terror.... Aren't I at least being realistic to wonder how Kerry would effectively fight the war on terror yet satisfy his peace-at-any-cost constituency?

I guess this is another conceptual view I have trouble understanding. The war in Iraq is NOT part of the war on terror. There's no connection. Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld have all said so finally. So, yes, we can get out of Iraq after doing the hard work necessary there to amend ourselves AND be strong on terror where it actually exists. With over 60 countries, including the US, having terrorist cells, we had best get to work building back the trust and diplomacy we have lost around the world by going into Iraq preemtively with false and deceptive information.

http://seacoastnh.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=403

I, too, am not trying to start an argument. I just really don't understand how Bush supporters think. Maybe its a left brain / right brain thing. Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:41 am
My vote is my vote. As for blame? I cant take any blame for any actions I didnt personaly DO!
Just because i voted someone into office doesnt mean I payed the girl to be under his desk ?! If I vote someone in office it doesnt mean that I personally ship them over seas?
Yeah, you can argue.. "" If you didnt vote for ( insert name here ) they wouldnt have done _____.
Is that so? Can you really PROVE that my ONE vote made this person who has NEVER met me do something BECAUSE of me? Nah!

(( silently cheering .....go kerry! )))) heheheh

Happy voting people!! ;-)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:54 am
Unfortunately...no matter who is elected next month...that person will be straddled with handling the incredible mess the machinations and ineptitude of George Bush and his administration have wrought on this nation and the world.

I'm not going to take the blame...no matter what.

And I think it is time we all come to the realization that the leader of this nation and the leaders of other free-world nations will be severely handcuffed for decades to come by what this motley crew has managed in such a short time.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:59 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Unfortunately...no matter who is elected next month...that person will be straddled with handling the incredible mess the machinations and ineptitude of George Bush and his administration have wrought on this nation and the world.

I'm not going to take the blame...no matter what.

And I think it is time we all come to the realization that the leader of this nation and the leaders of other free-world nations will be severely handcuffed for decades to come by what this motley crew has managed in such a short time.

Even this non christian woman is SCREAMING AMEN
after that statement! Laughing :wink:

I am HOPING that maybe one day a single vote WILL make a diffrence in this country. Maybe one day someone who is part of the 70% of middle america can stand on a soap-box and make a diffrence with THIER voice, but honestly , this is america, that will never happen. At least not in this life time. Confused
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
squinney wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
But, yes, I'll vote for the president and view that vote as an expression of hope.

Hope for what? That's what I don't understand about Bush voters.

Hope because although most here are nearly twice my age, I've been hearing for years the promises of politicians to bring peace to the ME. I see free elections there as a hopeful start to the peace process.

Quote:
Regardless of how my vote is ultimately counted, I've been feeling optimistic about the recent elections in Afghanistan and the upcoming elections in Iraq. How wonderful and how exciting for the people of those countries!

But, if that is something to be proud of, the spreading of the ability to vote, who is next? If that is what makes one proud of Bush, and makes you want to vote for him, then it would have to follow that you want him to continue invading countries around the globe that do not allow voting. Where does it stop? (Note that I did not say Democracy since the people on the ballot are being chosen strategically by the current US administration. Elections in January, but there is no campaigning going on and only one person I know of that is running.)

There's a group of young people in Iran who have formed an underground to fight for the same free elections that will be going on in Afghanistan and Iraq. Reading about their bravery and determination make me optimistic. Rather than wallow in despair over their plight of repression, they are showing extraordinary courage to change it, at great peril to themselves, and I don't doubt for a second that a large part of it is seeing the emerging democracies of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Quote:

Yes. There was a report out a month or so ago saying a huge majority of the money allocated for training, infrustructure, and general rebuilding has yet to be spent. The money is already allocated. Spend it. Kerry has said he will do so by training the Iraqi's to defend themselves at a faster rate. This should have already been further along than it is.

Also, part of the coalition building that Kerry speaks of includes allowing other countries to partake in the rebuilding. Get the manpower into Iraq from around the world and get the roads, schools, waterlines, electric grids, etc built and operational quickly. The childish playground tactics of not allowing others to play cause they wouldn't do so by your rules, has to stop. That doesn't build good will, Iraq, or peace. This seems so clearly adult and mature to me that I have real trouble getting my mind around Bush and his supporters concept that you can't play now cause you didn't want to when we started. Guess what. They were right. There were no WMD's or reason to rush to war. Be a man. Admit it, say you're sorry and ask for help. (That last part is addressed to Bush, not you.)

We'll have to disagree on this. I'm in complete agreement with the administration's aversion to awarding contracts to those countries who actively opposed us. Repairing the infrastructure in Iraq (that mess caused by the corrupt regime of Saddam) will take time, but will be accomplished. Talk to some soldiers who are there, don't rely solely on the negatives being reported on a daily basis. No, there were no WMD found and thank God for that. After 12 years of failed UN resolutions, we acted. We probably won't ever agree on the validity of this. As for the coalition Kerry speaks of, he's thinking France and Germany. Won't happen as they've both said clearly. (Thank you, Germany, for your help in Afghanistan). France...well, it's soon to be abundantly clear why they chose the route they did.

Quote:
I think his constituency is counting on him to get us out, but a large group - his fundraisers and activists have been promised he'll be strong on terror.... Aren't I at least being realistic to wonder how Kerry would effectively fight the war on terror yet satisfy his peace-at-any-cost constituency?

I guess this is another conceptual view I have trouble understanding. The war in Iraq is NOT part of the war on terror. There's no connection. Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld have all said so finally. So, yes, we can get out of Iraq after doing the hard work necessary there to amend ourselves AND be strong on terror where it actually exists. With over 60 countries, including the US, having terrorist cells, we had best get to work building back the trust and diplomacy we have lost around the world by going into Iraq preemtively with false and deceptive information.

I think every diplomatic avenue was exhausted prior to the preemptive strike on Iraq. To say the war in Iraq isn't part of the war on terror is only believable if you think Osama was/is the only member of Al Quaeda.

I don't think diplomacy nor negotiations work with terrorists. You disagree. Look at Libya. I think they got the message.

http://seacoastnh.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=403

The above link was a story about some elderly lady who was abducted by UFO's? (???)

I, too, am not trying to start an argument. I just really don't understand how Bush supporters think. Maybe its a left brain / right brain thing. Very Happy

Thank you for your thoughts, and I suppose after 11/2, it will not matter how either side thinks. My real point in hijacking Joe's thread was to ask about the division within the Democratic party and how that would be addressed by Kerry (were he to be elected.) I think that won't happen, but I'm wondering if there aren't perhaps quite a few within the divided Democratic party that also see what I see. Kerry: Our troops are acting with courage! Kerry: The war in Iraq is a grand diversion! He can't have it both ways. He can't placate both sides of his party, either.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
Well, allow me to hijack the thread from you, JW. I was wondering this morning while driving to work, if 9/11 never happened, would this election even be close?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:51 am
I am now willing to blame Joe. Thank you Joe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 11:29 am
Frank, Squinney - Very well said.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
"by what this motley crew has managed in such a short time."

Love that phrase, "motley crew"
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:05 pm
Anything that Kerry does or doesn't do will be an improvement so I don't think a question of blame will come up.

I am not talking about an improvement in actual actions or policies, but in just a better attitude in the white house.

Gosh, I am almost too afraid to hope.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:32 pm
Re: I'm willing to take the blame, are you?
Joe Nation wrote:
When John Kerry enters the White House next January, it will be because of me and my vote. I think he will make a tremendous difference for the strength, both political and moral, for this nation, but should he fail to live up to his promises, should he fail to find ways of uniting the opposition to terror throughout the world while building a vibrant economy here at home, it will fall to me to take the blame. After all it was my vote that put him in office.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I pledge to accept the blame for any mis-steps, errors or out-right goofs made by my President, John Kerry. If he screws up any of ya'll can email me and say "See what you've caused?" or even "See what you've done, you dolt??" and I will be properly chagrined and not overly defensive and certainly not react in righteous indignation and call you bad names. Because I will know it's my fault and I will take the blame.

Now what I would like to know is how many Bush supporters are willing to take the same pledge?

Joe

That's big of you Joe, but who really cares whether or not you take the blame?

If Kerry should win in November and then subsequently screw things up royally, it will be less than a small comfort to know we can all blame Joe Nation.

The pledge rings hollow in any case, because it is hardly likely that there will be universal agreement on whether or not he has screwed up.At least I hope there will not, because if Liberals join Conservatives in condemning Kerry, it means he screwed up big time!

I intend to vote for Bush, and I know that if he wins, he will screw something up over the next four years. If y'all would like to blame me for that particular screw up, be my guests.

I have to admit that there are moments when I actually hope that Kerry will win, just so there will be an opportunity to prove all of his supporters wrong, but these moments always quickly pass. The opportunity, though, will be something of a lousy consolation prize should he win.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:48 pm
Well, I don'tknow... I'm sorta excited to watch Kerry pull 10 million new jobs out of his ass...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 03:56 pm
Of what have we to worry? we always can blame it on cLINTON. Isnt that your point Joe?
0 Replies