link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,579 • Replies: 39
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:34 pm
Since when did Russia become such a darling of the right.

Russia has used brutal force in their fight against "terrorism" since the time when we were arming the "terrorists" in their stuggle against the old villian - "communism". And somehow now, Russia is now a valliant protagonist in the struggle against evil.

What changed?

The US supposedly won the cold war. This meant that Russia would end its brutal policies of repression and become more like the United States.

Somehow the reverse seems to be happening. Russia is returning to its roots of brutal repression in ethnic conflicts, limits on rights and autocratic control of the press.

Strangely the US is following.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
Amazing how a little thing like terrorism can bring people together isn't it?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:38 pm
Just who has it brought together?

Bush and Putin do make a sweet couple, but I don't see either the country or the world any more unitified.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
What changed?

Russia now has a small plutocratic elite presiding over a population mired in abject poverty and economic disfunction and the US is moving in that direction.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:45 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
What changed?

Russia now has a small plutocratic elite presiding over a population mired in abject poverty and economic disfunction and the US is moving in that direction.

Where?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:01 pm
McGentrix's avatar is wildly ironic as well...

It was Reagan who observed "One man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter."

Viva!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:06 pm
I guess I am one man, and you must be the other.

If you call blowing up a car in a crowded market freedom fighting, I guess that's your choice and someday you will be able to face your god and explain your beliefs to him. Me, I'll just let my karma be my guide.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:18 pm
Is an attack on a military target that kills civilians terrorism?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:58 pm
No, an attack on civilians that kills civilians is terrorism.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:40 pm
..and IF the country isn't at war WITH you and hasn't actually attacked your nation or citizens, even covertly?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
How do you mean Mr. S?

Are you referring to Iraq somehow?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:04 pm
Does "terrorist" or otherwise illegal actions of a number of fighters in a military force mean that everyone in that force is a "terrorist"?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
There is a huge difference between a county's military actions during a war and the actions of illegal enemy combatants. Do not try to compare them.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:37 pm
McG wrote:
There is a huge difference between a county's military actions during a war and the actions of illegal enemy combatants. Do not try to compare them.

How so?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:16 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
McG wrote:

How so?

Yeah, How so? Were the American Minutemen (from the Revolution) illegal enemy combatants?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 01:07 am
McGentrix wrote:
How do you mean Mr. S?

Are you referring to Iraq somehow?

Actually I wasn't. A good case in point would be the 1983 invasion of Grenada...

Quote:
"Soviet-Cuban colony being readied as a major military bastion to export terror and undermine democracy"
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:20 am
InfraBlue wrote:
McG wrote:

How so?

Well, the easy answer is that one force is ILLEGAL!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:29 am
We ought not to concern ourselves so much with terrorism's silent partner at the United Nations...as we should with terrorism's not so silent partner here in the United States...specifically the moron currently in the Oval Office.

The rashness of George Bush and the incompetent adminsitration which he has unleashed on the world are a much more effective partner of the terrorists than the United Nations could ever be even if it passed resolutions in support for the next 10 years.

Wake up!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
So, the attack on The Cole was not terorism?
0 Replies