Cargo Cults and Politics

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
I had never heard of this phenomenon until coming across it yesterday while doing some marketing research for my site. At first I laughed out loud at the obsurdity of the scene. Then I looked at the timeline again and was amazed that it had occurred so recently given mankinds advancements.

Then, I realized there was certainly a phenomenon just like this taking place in American politics today. (gulp) Perhaps, it isn't so funny?

The term itself has since been used to reference computer programming, scientific methods and in other ways, so I wondered how you might apply it to American politics todayno one who participated in a cargo cult actually knew that they were doing so.When Westerners explained to them that the riches came from labor and that islanders would get them as well if they worked hard enough, the cultists couldn't help noticing that, in missions and camps, islanders were doing the hardest work but got the least of the goods.

A similar cult, the dance of the spirits, arose from contact between American Indians and the American civilization in late 19th century. The Paiute prophet Wovoka preached that by dancing in a certain fashion, the ancestors would come back on railways and a new earth would cover the white people.

Some Amazonian Indians have carved wood mockups of cassette players (gabarora from Portuguese gravadora or Spanish grabadora) that they use to communicate with spirits.

Anthropologist Marvin Harris has linked the social mechanisms that produce cargo cults to those of Messianism.

Eventually, the Pacific cultists gave up. But, from time to time, the term "Cargo cult" is invoked as an English language idiom, to mean any group of people making obeisance to something that it is obvious they do not comprehend
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 558 • Replies: 5
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:51 am
Marvelous, truly fascinating
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 12:57 pm
Cargo cults do keep popping up, from time to time, in spite of being outlawed in most of the islands. That's about all I know of their status.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:49 pm
Hmmm - the corollary would be folk who believe in all the goodies that get mentioned in electoral campaigns.

In Oz, it has become traditional for incoming governments, when there has been a change, to discover, with horrified outcries, an unknown "budget black hole" which is announced with great criticism of the outgoing government, and which means that the new folk cannot keep some of their election promises. Oh the horror!

The newly re-elected conservative federal government has outdone itself, and upped the ante, by discovering - to its horror - that petrol prices have risen, which means it may not be able to keep its election promises.

Discovering a black hole in one's OWN budget, the day after an election, is a significant raising (or lowering) of the bar.

We can only look forward to even better efforts in the future.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:22 pm
fascinating in deed
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:31 pm
Squinney
Squinney, thanks for your fascinating post. I learned a lot from it that I had not known.

It kind of reminds me of the Jim Jones cult that committed mass suicide (and murder) but much less lethal than the Cargo Cults.

BBB
0 Replies