Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
Think Kerry wants this one?

Yasser Arafat endorses Kerry
Thinks Democratic senator 'better for Palestinian cause'

Posted: October 18, 2004
8:35 p.m. Eastern

By Aaron Klein
© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat is hoping John Kerry wins the presidential election in November, several Palestinian leaders told WorldNetDaily.

Arafat deputy and chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat told WND in an exclusive interview that while "we do not involve ourselves in internal American politics," at the same time "our region has been sliding deeper and deeper into chaos because of certain policies over the past few years, and this needs to change."

While he would not directly endorse Kerry, it was clear Erekat was implying the PA wants a change in White House leadership: "If things continue the way they are, if certain policies toward our region are maintained in the years to come, there is going to be a lot of violence on both sides."

A prominent Arafat aide who asked that his name be withheld spoke to WorldNetDaily from Arafat's battered Ramallah compound.

"The president [Arafat] is frustrated with Bush's policies," he said. "The president [Arafat] thinks Kerry will be much better for the Palestinian cause and for the establishment of a Palestinian state."

Also today, PA Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath said the future of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process is unsure if George W. Bush is re-elected to office, and he complained the U.S. presidential election was stalling the Middle East peace process.

"During an American election and the three months after, allies of the United States should do more work than they would do otherwise." Shaath told a news conference.

While the comments mark the first time the PA has endorsed Kerry on the record, it has not been a secret that Arafat is frustrated with Bush's leadership.

Israel Military Intelligence Chief Maj. Gen. Aharon Ze'evi has warned Arafat is biding his time until November, when the Palestinian leader hopes President Bush will be voted out of office and Ariel Sharon's coalition government will fall.

"Arafat is waiting for November in the hope George Bush will lose the election to John Kerry," Ze'evi told Army Radio in July. "He also hopes that the Israeli government will fall, so he can take center stage diplomatically."

Since 2002, Washington has fully backed Jerusalem's decision to isolate the Palestinian Authority president, who Sharon says is directly involved in planning terrorism and is an obstacle to peacemaking.

Many Israeli and American Jewish leaders have been expressing concern that a Kerry administration will cause more violence in the Middle East and could bring Arafat back to power. They say they are worried about Kerry's statements of coordinating American foreign policy with the Europeans, some of whom favor talks with Arafat, and are disturbed by Kerry's appointment of several former Clinton Mideast policy directors as advisers, particularly former U.S. Ambassador to Israel Martin Indyk.

Many blame Clinton's failed approach to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict -which sought Israeli territorial concessions for promises of peace by Arafat and ignored indications of growing Palestinian militancy and violations of security-reform agreements - for partially causing the current intifada.

Indyk, who helped devise the 1993 Oslo Accords, was a driving force behind Clinton's assessment of Arafat as a statesman and urged Clinton to accept Arafat as the legitimate ruler of the Palestinians. Under Indyk's advisory, Arafat visited the White House during the Clinton administration 24 times, more than any other world leader during those eight years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,455 • Replies: 15
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:40 am
Isn't this up there with the Saddam Hussein for Kerry thread? Come on guys, you can do better.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
WorldNetDaily Eh?

At least the Putin endorsement of Bush is real. And seeing how well Putin's war on terrorism is going (and Sharon's for that matter) it makes me to jump right on this bandwagon.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:57 am
W. for sure has all the right people for enemies, Yessir Yourafart being no exception to the rule...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
2 "liberal" responses regarding the source, 0 regarding the information posted. It's as though it doesn't exist. Truely amazing...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:27 am
We ignored the information because it is irrelevant. In fact the entire article is simply stupid.

Any Palestinian is going to be upset with Bush. Arafat is a washed up relic of the past who can't give up ties to militants.

But, he is also a Palestinian. The vast majority of Palestinians including those who eschew violence and want to work peacefully for a just solution that includes a secure Israel, want Bush defeated.

Two questions, if Arafat came out in favor of Bush, would you vote for Kerry?

What about the KKK, if the more KKK members are supporting Bush than Kerry (this is not a bad assumption), should we make something of it?

So, I will give you the most intelligent response possible -- Duh!

This article is pure idiocy regardless of the source. That it is another piece of mindless propaganda from WorldNetDaily just amuses me.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 10:32 am
To add to what ebrown says, which I agree with, it means absolutely nothing about Kerry.

And, McG, my "liberal" response had nothing to do with the source.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:00 am
Hmmm... Ok ebrown_p, I'll bear all this in mind for the future.

Freeduck, I placed "liberal" in quotes so as to not label anyone unneccessarily.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:06 am
I figured. Just wanted to be consistent. :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:07 am
From a guy who bitches about commondreams, McG, you should know better than to post anything from worldnetdaily.....

Seriously.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 02:56 pm
Re: Yasser Arafat endorses Kerry
Quote:

Quote:
While he would not directly endorse Kerry, it was clear Erekat was implying the PA wants a change in White House leadership: "If things continue the way they are, if certain policies toward our region are maintained in the years to come, there is going to be a lot of violence on both sides."

Hmmm, that's odd: the headline says that Arafat endorses Kerry, yet nowhere in the article does it say that anyone is endorsing any candidate. This is indeed puzzling. Am I to believe the headline, which, although it conveys no substantive information, takes only a second to read? Or should I believe the article, which, although it conveys apparently reliable information, takes a couple of minutes to read?

Help me out here, McG: which one did you believe?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:04 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm, that's odd: the headline says that Arafat endorses Kerry, yet nowhere in the article does it say that anyone is endorsing any candidate. This is indeed puzzling. Am I to believe the headline, which, although it conveys no substantive information, takes only a second to read? Or should I believe the article, which, although it conveys apparently reliable information, takes a couple of minutes to read?

Help me out here, McG: which one did you believe?

I am surprised that you would need help determining what you should believe, but in fairness, since you asked so nice, let me oblige you.

Quote:
"The president [Arafat] is frustrated with Bush's policies," he said. "The president [Arafat] thinks Kerry will be much better for the Palestinian cause and for the establishment of a Palestinian state."

Also today, PA Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath said the future of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process is unsure if George W. Bush is re-elected to office, and he complained the U.S. presidential election was stalling the Middle East peace process.

"During an American election and the three months after, allies of the United States should do more work than they would do otherwise." Shaath told a news conference.

While the comments mark the first time the PA has endorsed Kerry on the record, it has not been a secret that Arafat is frustrated with Bush's leadership.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I am surprised that you would need help determining what you should believe, but in fairness, since you asked so nice, let me oblige you.

I appreciate your rapid response, but I don't think you really answered my question. It's true that the passage you quoted contained this statement:
But the problem is that the story flatly contradicts this statement: no one -- neither Arafat nor anyone else in the PLO -- is quoted as "going on the record" to endorse any candidate. As far as I can tell, this notion that Arafat or the Palestinian Authority or anyone identified in this article actually endorsed Kerry is a pure fabrication on the part of the author and the headline writer. Wouldn't you agree?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:52 pm
There are a few, but very few, main line news outlets publishing any news that is favorable to Bush lately. Thus his supporter have to go further afield for anything that looks remotely like good news.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:03 pm
I agree that not wanting Bush is NOT an endorsement for Kerry. That;s been proven over and over in the fact that very few actually support Kerry rather than oppose Bush.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:08 pm
another example of "trash" politics! lol Keep trying Rolling Eyes
0 Replies