Anger grows at Democrats' weakness

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 03:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Now the Democrats are undergoing a new split. Toadies to corporate money versus liberals (sometimes calling themselves progressives).

The Far Left will dominate the Democratic Party for the next 20 years, but it won't matter because the Republicans will remain in power for the entire time.

Democratic moderates will eventually purge the extremists from their party though, which will make the Democratic Party palatable to the voters again.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 05:21 pm
@layman,
Quote Glenn Beck's Blaze via layman:
Quote:
Finally, in 1957, after a long hiatus, the Civil Rights Act of 1957 was passed and signed into law by Republican President Dwight Eisenhower....The Democrat opposition in the Senate created the longest filibuster on record, stretching over 24 hours of non-stop speaking by Strom Thurmond. This bill also established the Commission on Civil Rights which was in large part responsible for the famous bill in 1964.

A. Eisenhower might well have been for it, but why was the Civil Rights Bill of 1957 introduced into the House by Democrat Emmanuel Cellar of Brooklyn? Great Republican support for that bill-you can't even get a Republican to introduce it in Congress.

B. Quote Glenn Beck's Blaze via layman:
Quote:
This bill also established the Commission on Civil Rights which was in large part responsible for the famous bill in 1964.

Yes, the bill was in large part responsible for the famous Civil Rights Bill of 1964 because the 1957 bill was totally ineffective. Virtually nothing changed because of it, so the Democrats took the White House in 1960 and started pushing Civil Rights legislation, and when Johnson took over for John F. Kennedy he made effective Civil Right legislation his big priority. The Civil Rights Bill of 1964 prevented discrimination in hiring, prevented businesses from refusing to serve blacks, prevented separate bathrooms for white and black-as a matter of fact, quite a few restaurants down south had three bathrooms-White Women, White Men, and Negroes. The Civil Rights Bill of 1957 had nothing even remotely close to this. In fact, all the Civil Rights Bill of 1957 had was the establishment of a commission to hear complaints so they can study the problem further, and some weak fines. Big deal. Therefore, the Civil Rights Bill of 1957 cannot be considered major Civil Rights legislation.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 06:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

So you believe that the Bill of Rights is not a FAKE document??

You should read the 1st Amendment
"Free Expression clause"
and the
"Establishment clause"

Unless revoked and substituted by a counter amendment, still is the law of the land

Your responses are becoming incoherent. Please restate you question in English.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 06:22 pm
@giujohn,
It wsnt a question. It was your lack of recognition that the Bill of Rights PRECLUDES establishment of ANY kind of Sectqriqn State. Our Constitution is AGNOSTIC.

The bumper sticker photo that Frugal posted is what is incohrent.

Try to keep up with The American Democracy Studies you probably hqd in HS.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 06:27 pm
@giujohn,
Here was my original post
Quote:

Our constitution's Bill of Rights forbids ANY theocracies. I think you have no idea how stupid many of your bumper stickers are

That was to Fuggle. You just stepped in with a spurt and then responded to my disbelief of your ignorance. By posting my response you tried to make it sound like I ws being incoherent when I was really going for Incredulity interspersed with my normal avunculqr style with you "Donny Dumpster" clowns.
giujohn

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Here was my original post
Quote:

Our constitution's Bill of Rights forbids ANY theocracies. I think you have no idea how stupid many of your bumper stickers are

That was to Fuggle. You just stepped in with a spurt and then responded to my disbelief of your ignorance. By posting my response you tried to make it sound like I ws being incoherent when I was really going for Incredulity interspersed with my normal avunculqr style with you "Donny Dumpster" clowns.

You seem to be extremely confused. The bumper sticker you cite depicts a woman who is complaining that 22 States do not allow Sharia law. How the hell does that have anything to do with you're cry that we are not a theocracy or asking me if I believe the Bill of Rights is a fake document?

As to your normal avuncular style it appears to be nothing more than laziness on your part and that has nothing to do with style it is closer to being a clown then my support of the president.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 07:17 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3DwDXNUEAA3l7L.jpg
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 08:10 am
To defeat Trumpism will take an extraordinary popular resistance

Quote:

The state swung narrowly behind Barack Obama in 2008, partly because of groups including Democracy, which worked to expand the state’s electorate. North Carolina introduced early voting, allowed voters to register on the same day as elections, and unveiled pre-registration for 16- and 17-year-olds. Another registration programme – Souls to the Polls – attempted to enrol churchgoers. “We connected to the different churches and faiths in the state,” explains Democracy’s 30-year-old campaign director, Marcus Bass.

This expansion of the electorate meant more African Americans and younger North Carolinians could vote. This was bad news for the Republican party, but rather than attempting to win over, say, African Americans, younger voters or residents born outside the state, Republicans decided to try to stop them voting. The so-called “monster law” of 2013 reduced early voting, abolished same-day registration and pre-registration, introduced voter ID requirements and allowed greater scope for voters to be challenged at polling stations. The overwhelming targets were Democratic-leaning voters. About 1.2 million local voters are said to have been affected.

The law was struck down, but Republicans innovated around that and on election day in November were able to celebrate the fall in African-American turnout. “North Carolina Obama coalition crumbling,” crowed one press release. “As a share of early voters, African Americans are down 6.0% and Caucasians are up 4.2%.” When a Democrat won the race to be the state’s governor, local Republicans legislated to reduce his powers.

The temptation to dismiss Trump as an absurd buffoon persists; and with each appearance he feeds it. But this is a dangerous mistake. Consider the precedents – Hungary, for example – where opposition is not banned outright but has been delegitimised. Trump has created the fiction of widespread voter fraud to justify further voter suppression.

American progressives are horrified by what is happening in their country, but they are also emboldened. They cite two reasons: the legacy of Bernie Sanders’ nomination campaign, and the anti-Trump Women’s March in Washington. Charles Lechner, who helped establish People for Bernie during the Democratic nomination race, says: “In every community you had people who came together to support Bernie: those relationships now exist; before they didn’t.”

Now that people are taking to the streets against the Muslim ban on both sides of the Atlantic, the potential of these networks is clear. Trump’s policies can be delegitimised at home, forcing him on the defensive; abroad, governments seeking to give his regime cover may find themselves besieged by their own people.

A renewed determination was also in evidence in Chicago last week: as snow fell, fast-food and airport workers protested at Trump’s nominee for labour secretary, Andy Puzder – a poverty-wage-paying restaurant tycoon. “No pay! No way! Andy Puzder not today!” they chanted.

“He doesn’t care about the workers,” said 18-year-old McDonald’s worker Elisabeth, the “Fight for $15” banners reflecting in her glasses. But did she have hope in Trump’s America? “Of course! Absolutely. If there’s enough people who join up with the same mindset, then we can achieve anything.”

Both resilience and courage will be needed in the coming weeks and months.

Trump is a unique danger, and as events in North Carolina remind us, neutralising the democratic opposition will be critical to his construction of an authoritarian, nationalist state.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 08:12 am
Resist all anti-American efforts by liberal progressive democrats to cheat Trump & the American people.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 08:13 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3lNuZ-WIAEPetJ.jpg:large
0 Replies