Do open relationships work?

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:09 pm
I'm a female in my late 20's. I'm sexually fluid so I'm not always attracted to my partner. I want to ask them about having an open relationship. Because when I'm not attracted to males he gets bored and starts being really needy. It's really annoying and I think it'd be for the best if we had a open relationship or be FWB. The only other possibility I see is breaking up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 07:04 pm
@KittyMeowMeow,
KittyMeowMeow wrote:

I'm a female in my late 20's. I'm sexually fluid so I'm not always attracted to my partner. I want to ask them about having an open relationship. Because when I'm not attracted to males he gets bored and starts being really needy. It's really annoying and I think it'd be for the best if we had a open relationship or be FWB. The only other possibility I see is breaking up.

Each person is different and every relationship is different. Open relationships are fire. Yes you can keep them contained but if you get careless you either get burned or you burn someone else.

I'm in total support of open relationships but you have to keep in mind it's socially taboo right now and you can't expect people to understand or respect it. Feelings are fickle. One day jealousy can sneak in even if you don't think it's possible. Ego is unpredictable.

Attachments are killers to open relationships because we are territorially motivated. Even though it's wrong to say you own someone or they "belong" to you, its really never that way. The more open the relationship the less you have.

If you start arbitrarily making rules for who or when they can see other people the damage sets in. It becomes silly after that.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 07:48 pm
@Krumple,
I don't believe open relationships are social taboo. According to my son in his mid 20s they are rather common these days among people his age. I wouldn't do it, but I don't see anything wrong with it for people who want.

My advice is to make sure you communicate openly. That is the best way to make it work so that no one gets hurt.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Please don't start a new thread for you every thought. It is better to keep it all in one place. Or at lease at the last one you started.

No, that wasn't to you, Max.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 08:32 pm
KittyMeowMeow wrote:

No one takes me seriously because of my age. I'm in my teens but mentally and emotionally mature. People patronize me because of this. So I wish they'd just stop. I'm smarter than most of them with an IQ of 147. So could they just stop being arrogant and full of it. Why are people doing this too me?

How old?
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 10:53 pm
@KittyMeowMeow,
The jig is up, Kitty. We're onto your games. Now come clean, see? Or we'll have to do it the hard way...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 06:11 am
KittyMeowMeow wrote:

I'm smarter than most of them with an IQ of 147.

KittyMeowMeow wrote:

Why are people doing this too me?

I can't be the only one who sees the contradiction in these two statements.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:02 am
Carrie Jenkins makes the philosophical case for polyamory
izzythepush

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:17 am
@hightor,
CBBC makes a musical case for Balamory.

hightor

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 06:12 am
@izzythepush,
There's also a case for allegory.
0 Replies

Iouman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 02:26 pm
@KittyMeowMeow,
I like things to be simple. If you are in a relationship then "no", you should not be seeing other people nor should your significant other being seeing anyone else. If you don't want to be in relationship, then break up. Don't drag someone else through your drama just because you want your Veejay stamped like a passport.
0 Replies