What is it about - - "Only in America" ???

husker

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 02:58 pm
A phrase coined "Only in America" what are those those that only in America relates to???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,848 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 04:19 pm
I thinks its used sometimes in a derogatory manner to describe those people or things that it would be very unlikely to see elsewhere in the world, like the lady who collects potato chips that look like world leaders and celebrities, or Tonya Harding, or the Texas Cheerleader Murdering Mom, or ........
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 04:53 pm
Source: West Side Story, the musical

Only in America can you rise from nothing and make a name and money for yourself. The opportunites are there for the taking and the hard work.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:27 pm
Hoping more will ring in.....
0 Replies

you

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 02:29 pm
"Only in America can you rise from nothing and make a name and money for yourself. The opportunites are there for the taking and the hard work."
Only in America do you hear this lie.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 02:34 pm
Really?
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:40 am
you, my view isn't quite as slanted as yours. I find I'm a perfect example of 'Only in America.' Grew up dirt-poor. My chronically ill Mother had to argue with my alcoholic father to let me finish high school. (Graduated 2 months after 16th birthday.) Took entry-level job. Enrolled in night school. Even though it took 22 years, finally got my degree. Now small business owner--very happy. No other country could offer me these great opportunities! No one handed me a thing, I worked for all I have. Get out there and work for yours, and in time you may agree it's a pretty great place.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:04 am
Mustang that's great!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:06 am
I'll bet you all saw the thing on Michael Jackson saying "Only in America can a young blackman become a white female"??
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:52 am
Husker, no, I didn't see it. That's f-u-n-n-y!! Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:59 am
New Haven wrote:
Only in America can you rise from nothing and make a name and money for yourself. The opportunites are there for the taking and the hard work.

You know, I have read this before and several people have told this to me as well, and everytime I hear this, I just cant help laughing abt the *ONLY* in America part.

I believe that hard work always pays, never mind whether you are in America or elsewhere. The world is full of examples where people have arisen from very humble beginings so go on to become great rich men. Ofocurse this is not true for everyone who works hard, but I think it holds true in America as well.
0 Replies