Oops! The Boomers are Coming! - The Boomers are Coming!

smog

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:01 am
Interesting stuff! (Using my marking powers.)
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:16 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Well I think I take a more optimistic view of people than maybe you do Einherjar.

Quite possible

Foxfyre wrote:
If you don't mix with such people, I wonder how it is that you are qualified to judge them?

I don't know any personally, doesn't mean I've never run into any. Besides, you specifically asked for parents, and I don't know many parents besides the ones I am related to.

Foxfyre wrote:
I will decline for now coming up with statistics as I've posted them elsewhere and I'm packing to leave in the morning.

You could have mentioned roughly where. Confused

Foxfyre wrote:
The point is, there are good public schools, but most are substandard in the US these days. If a parent has a vouncher and, by putting a sizable chunk of additional cash with it, can enroll his/her child in a quality school, I find that parent commendable. However, should the public schools covet their funding sufficiently to raise their own standards and achieve parity with the private, parochial, and homeschools, and the parent could use their voucher at a good public school and pay nothing additional, that would seem a reasonable option as well.

What would happen off course is that right wing politicians would favor tax cuts over government spending on education, arguing that people should be able to choose themselves how to spend their money, and the children of poor or selfish people would be the big loosers.

No to vouchers because:
Knowledge is power and power should be shared
Education is opportunity and opportunity should be equal regardless of heritage.
Privatisation leads to targeting of demographics, which leads to segregation, which leads to indoctrination and intolerance.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:28 am
I would have mentioned if I could remember. Might not even be here on A2K; has been awhile.

I think the liberal notion that equality is commendable can be taken to extremes when equality means everybody is equally miserable. I will never agree to a system that requires all to be limited to the lowest common denominator.

Conservatives usually favor striving for excellence and reward for achievement. If I don't drop out of school, don't get pregnant before marriage, finish my education, learn a trade, and equip myself to provide a good living for my family and opportunities for my children, I highly resent it if the system prevents such opportunities in the name of some misguided sense of equality.

Equality for me means equal rights to compete, not necessarily equality of outcome.

Did you read the essay that started this thread?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:52 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I would have mentioned if I could remember. Might not even be here on A2K; has been awhile.

Alright, I'll stop looking then.

Foxfyre wrote:
I think the liberal notion that equality is commendable can be taken to extremes when equality means everybody is equally miserable. I will never agree to a system that requires all to be limited to the lowest common denominator.

Conservatives usually favor striving for excellence and reward for achievement.

I understand what you are saying here, but we are not talking about rewarding people for achievement, we are talking about rewarding people for their parents achievement and, I fear, punish others for their parents underachievement.

Foxfyre wrote:
If I don't drop out of school, don't get pregnant before marriage, finish my education, learn a trade, and equip myself to provide a good living for my family and opportunities for my children, I highly resent it if the system prevents such opportunities in the name of some misguided sense of equality.

See, you are talking about rewarding children for their parents achievements, and by skewing the distribution of education funding, punish other children for their parents underachivement.

Foxfyre wrote:
Equality for me means equal rights to compete, not necessarily equality of outcome.

Sure, now explain to me how a person who happens to have poor or selfish parents (note, the person is not responsible for his parents being selfish, or failing to achieve.) would have equal rights to compete in the event that education had been privatised, and state funding cut. (which would happen)

Foxfyre wrote:
Did you read the essay that started this thread?

Yes, and I just reread it. (that is to say I skimmed it) For a moment it sounded like you were endorsing Kerry. Anyway, I must have missed the part that was relevant to the current discussion.
0 Replies