Types of thinkers

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 04:41 pm
Does being a spherical thinker include being more open-minded? By the same token, can linear thinkers be open-minded?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:07 pm
CarbonSystem wrote:
Does being a spherical thinker include being more open-minded? By the same token, can linear thinkers be open-minded?

Even though I posted categories, there is no right or wrong answer. So, to address your question, yes. Everyone has the capacity to be open minded. It's all a matter of whether or not you choose to be.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:50 am
Rufio, when you say that there can be no global, universal truth, you are establishing an universal truth. That's the problem of scepticism, as Aristotle had already pointed.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:55 pm
No val, there's no problem with that statement. You're just not thinking spherically enough. Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:59 pm
rufio wrote:
No val, there's no problem with that statement. You're just not thinking spherically enough. Razz

How surprisingly spherical of you rufio. Very Happy
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 03:16 pm
youre all so clever and witty
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
We try to be CarbonSystem. It breaks up the tension sometimes. To me, part of being a spherical thinker is recognizing that every moment is nebulous, with many choices. Making the right decision depends on your assessment of a particular situation.

Let's say somebody wants to carjack you. They have guns. Linear thinking = frightened. Natural, of course. Circular thinking = try to calm the situation down, get out alive. Spherical thinking = use the criminal's weaknesses against them, get out alive, with your car.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:57 pm
I don't know how to categorize my (dominant) cognitive style. I'm tempted to classify myself as "spherical" in part because of my tendency to mystical monism, but my professional life required of me that I think linearly. William James made the distinction between hard-headed and soft-headed thinkers. I do believe I am closer to the latter than the former, because of a general distrust for logic (when given too much--Vulcanian--emphasis), in favor of a combination of dialectical and intuitive processing of information. But as Edgar noted earlier, I am constantly switching, depending on mood and project, between different types--sort of like the notion today of right and left brain thinking.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:07 pm
Want to see something interesting, JL? Check this out. I haven't taken the quiz yet, but I thought you should do it first.

http://painting.about.com/library/quiz/blquiz-rightbrain1.htm
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:19 pm
There is also synvergent thinking which is a
combination of both divergent and convergent.

I am not sure of my category. I have
had success with multiple choice exams (convergent fact like answers) but been tripped up when I have thought too hard about the question's possible meanings (divergent).

Mostly I like to think about topics
from many angles, so I guess I tend to the more divergent side.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm
I think I can
I think I can
I think I can
I think I can....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:38 pm
Hey, shepaints. Take that little quiz. I just did (had to fudge a little), but it seems as though I use my left brain and right brain equally. I see the results as both divergent and convergent. Probably was mediated by my years as a teacher.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:46 pm
Letty, I'm in the process of leaving town, but when I get there I'll take the test. I strongly doubt that a test has been formulated (yet) that can accurately measure such a phenomenon (right vs. left mindedness).
I think that Americans (I don't know about exotic South African Canadians like you, Shepaints) are very ready to embrace the category of "divergent" because of our individualism. Some (traditional) cultures would consider the "divergent' individual a danger to the community--or a shaman.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
Don't be gone long, JL. We'll miss you in the philosophy and painting categories. Perhaps you are correct in your assessment, but it is fun just to see if some things are predictable, no?
0 Replies

Tuvok

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:20 pm
Circular, I find it hard to belive you can just have visions, even after we leave the earth and fight with other species things won't be global, they'll simply be universal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:12 pm
Well, Letty, I took the test and the result was 55% right brain (11 out of 20).
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:13 pm
Well, Letty, I took the test and the result was 55% right brain (11 out of 20).
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:33 pm
Jl

I would have bet the farm you were predominantly left brain. (being a professor and such)
Now I am compelled to take this test. My prediction is right brain around 60%. I'll be back.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:37 pm
I am going to predict that paula is mindless.

Let's wait until she gets back and tells us.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:46 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I am going to predict that paula is mindless.

Let's wait until she gets back and tells us.

Well aren't you cute today. Gus I loved your latest story, it made me laugh out loud.

12 out of 20 60% I was right on the money.

My score is close to JL's, how come I'm not as smart as him? I don't think it's fair Laughing

Gustatakeanothertest, go for it!
0 Replies