What is a nice present for old lady?

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 07:16 am
Hello, ladies and gentlemen,

English is not my first language. Please bear with me. A nice old lady, who is a relative of my brothers inlaws has invited us sray at her house for a few days, because there is a family event. She lives in Great Britain. I do not know her very well, but she is a very nice and friendly person. She gave us some presents on other occasions and it could be seen that she spend a great deal of thought on the present and must have asked person we know what we like. Also the presents where handmade.
I do not really know much about what she likes and the people I ask did not know it. I only know she likes puzzles and I thought I could try myself at a handmade puzzle. I am not sure though.

What would be a typical present a senior citizen Englishwoman expects? Would a puzzle be a good present?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 16
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 07:22 am
@LastUnicorn,
A handmade gift would be lovely.

Candy is also a good gift. But be sure it's quality candy.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 08:01 am
@LastUnicorn,
Can you knit or sew? Even something small would be lovely. Or you could bake something, if that's your talent.
0 Replies

Rudolph Hucker

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 04:09 pm
@LastUnicorn,
A polite Chippendale.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:16 am
@Rudolph Hucker,
Rudolph Hucker wrote:

A polite Chippendale.

Very thoughtful.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:24 am
That spray that old ladies use to smell like old ladies. They can never have enough of that.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:33 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

That spray that old ladies use to smell like old ladies. They can never have enough of that.

Would that be Chanel® N°95?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 05:56 pm
@LastUnicorn,
A nice old bag.

I get to say this, being old.

Actually, bags can be interesting, even if on the old side.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:03 pm
An appropriate fragrance for a senior woman.
Timeless! https://299df094394db9cc1de4-60c51f90a91f2305b52a889e5c1d7548.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/70984_xl_1.jpg
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:34 pm
@neko nomad,
A boss gifted me with a well regarded perfume.
First of all, I've lived my life with anosmia (so did my father. I can occasionally smell some foods cooking - garlic). My boss knew that, that is why I was the one to open 2 mercapto ethanol in the hood...

Secondly, I had delicate glass shelves crash in the bathroom, perfume gifts on it. Er, friends who liked me and thought I was normal.
I cleaned the crash up and who knows, I couldn't smell it, but this may have affected my neighbors.

Now to remember the perfume name...

Maybe My Sin, but not sure.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 02:01 am
@LastUnicorn,
English old ladies have a lot of stuff. I'd get something they can consume, something your country is known for, food drink etc. Not too adventurous mind, old people have quite conservative tastes.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 02:17 am
@LastUnicorn,
Quote:
I only know she likes puzzles

Go to a bookshop and get a hard cover book of puzzles to present to her as a gift upon your arrival.
0 Replies

Bettafin

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:26 am
@LastUnicorn,
Maybe a good smelling candle.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:57 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that is excreted from one of their glands and doesn't come in a spray...
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 01:46 am
I agree with Izzypush - get something to consume.
If you cannot find a nice thing from your country give her a card on which you write you would like to take her out for one of these things . Lunch, dinner or 5 oclock tea and also mention the day and time.
It is work to have a guest and nice little old ladies get invited out far too seldom.
Do not give perfum to a woman if you do not know her very specific favourite.
What tastes good for you might not mix well with her taste.
Chocolate can be difficult if someone is diabetic. Now it is in to give bitter chocolate because it is healthier. I can´t stand the taste.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 07:31 am
@LastUnicorn,
Get her a good book to read herself to sleep at nights.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2uf90t1.jpg
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 09:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not ******* funny, Tsar, at all.
0 Replies