Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:50 pm
On the way home I stopped at my local coop and what looked good and not too expensive were the catfish (fresh, farmed). Yes, I know they aren't as flavorful as the real fish of what seems to be the past.

I set them out in an ovenproof ceramic dish with some olive oil, a fat addition of sliced garlic, some crushed pepper and salt, and tossed them about a bit. Squashed a whole lemon over it all. Added a couple of dozen provencal green olives packaged by a local company named "mustapha", all of whose olives I like. They may be picholines treated this way and that, with different labels, all good.
I baked this for a bit and it turned out great.

However, on my way to this great, I also looked at other things in the fridge and either was too lazy or shunned various things. Mushrooms, just crying to be cooked. Some parsley, wilting as I looked. Zucchini, lying await.

Choices, choices. Some things go better together than others in some kind of aphrodisiacal blend.

So, I tend to not put mushrooms with olives. How about you?
How about other ingredients you think work together, or don't...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,996 • Replies: 14
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 01:41 pm
I make a great salad with cauliflower, sliced mushrooms, sliced green olives, and a little red onion. Lots of italian dressing and let sit overnite. So to me, green olives are great with mushrooms. But maybe not so much for cooking together...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
Strange...I'll saute mushrooms with olive oil, but don't really like them with olives.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 01:48 pm
Here's the thing, olives are brined, generally, and/or cured. Marinated mushrooms go great with olives as antipasto.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 02:03 pm
I agree on them together in antipasto. And that salad with the cauliflower and red onion and mushrooms and green olives sounds good to me. I suppose in some cases it could matter if the olives are tart, the ones that seem heavily pickled as they do with so many jars of stuffed olives, or mellow.

I put olives sometimes in my chicken cacciatora - that's another dish I make that involves investigation into what is lurking in the refrigerator...

Most of the time I read cookbooks, or recipes, it isn't for the exact recipe, but to see what perhaps unusual ingredients the authors are suggesting work together.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
I wouldn't mix the mushrooms and olives either ossobucco Smile

You could saute the mushrooms with parsley and serve it as a side dish.
We mostly eat olives cold - favorite dish of my 9 year old one, and
I buy them fresh at the farmers market from a greek guy, along
with fresh goat cheese *superb*

Zucchini have very little taste, so sometimes I'll grind Pistachios and
mix them with plain yoghurt as a sauce over the Zucchini.

Gosh, I'm awfully hungry now http://www.borge.diesal.de/shock.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:40 pm
Pistachios, yogurt, and zucchini, I can see it.
I tend to throw some zucchini in my soups, depending of course on the soup. I don't buy it for months at a time.

Pistachios... I have to watch out and not buy any of those big bags of salted pistachios. I'm a goner.. worse than potato chips.

On olives, I love olives. I have a gallon glass jar of black french olives in my fridge right now. That's besides mustapha's cumin lemon green olives.
The gallon is a lot even for me... there was a special at our grocery outlet store, the whole thing was $2.99, and they are really good olives.

The salad earlier, the one with red onion, cauliflower, mushrooms, and olives reminds me of a couple of dishes.
One was a potato salad I made once for a party that involved boiled and sliced red and purple potatoes, sliced red onion, great big green bella olives, and what else, oh yes, sweet red pepper (roasted a bit with olive oil) and probably an olive oil/garlic/wine vinegar dressing. I remember liking that a lot and have never made it again.

My exhub used to do a pasta (penne) with a sauce of cauliflower flowerettes, sliced artichoke hearts (not marinated), tomatoes, olives, sauteed with pancetta, garlic, and red pepper and some rosemary and oregano with a finish of chopped fresh parsley. Grated parmigiano on the side. That was an old Le Cirque recipe - now preserved in my cooking binder on a withered old newspaper scrap. I'll type it out if anyone's interested.
Frankly, that doesn't sound as good in description as it was, those old Le Cirque recipes really worked as blended flavors.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:06 pm
Most people I know think rootbeer goes well with pepperoni pizza. But I couldn't disagree more. I think they are horrible together and that this fact somehow confuses people.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:11 pm
I agree with you, SCoates. What do you drink when you eat pepperoni pizza?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
I think it goes best with milk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 05:33 pm
Gulp.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:02 pm
@ossobuco,
<Re-opening this thread with hope for more input on what foods blend nicely together, or... "play together with others">
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Fresh Dover sole lightly grilled and top of the range champagne.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:33 pm
Osso, You mentioned olives and mushrooms together. I'd never think of that. I tend to not use olives in my cooking. With mushrooms I mix pine nuts, rosemary, sage, mace, pumpkin..... (not all together, of course). I tend to use them in the fall.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 05:55 pm
@littlek,
pumpkin... almost time for that little pumpkin recipe..
0 Replies