Cutting through the spin

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:39 am
Quote:
For 83-year-old Dorothy Van Asdale, of Yuma, Ariz., the debates offered a firsthand look at a Democratic candidate she knew about mostly through the narrative of conservative radio commentator Rush Limbaugh.

"I listen to Rush Limbaugh when I'm in my car," she said. "We can only get one radio station really clear around here. It's so negative. I never heard a good thing about Kerry."

But when she tuned in to the presidential debates, she "liked Kerry's presence. I liked the way he spoke."

A CBS News poll of 211 persuadable voters after the debates found many liked what they heard from the Democrat. Asked who won the debate, 39 percent of the persuadable voters said Kerry, 25 percent said Bush and 36 percent said they tied. The number of voters who thought Kerry has clear positions on the issues, doubled after the debate to six in 10. Women were more likely than men in the CBS News poll to give Kerry high marks. The CBS poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 7 percentage points.

I love to see this stuff -- how people react when they see the candidate unfiltered, speaking for himself, without editing.

It doesn't say anything too far-reaching, but it's encouraging.

Persuadable Voters Give Kerry High Marks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 556 • Replies: 4
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:41 am
It's good to see people able to make their own decisions and not allowing pundits to make them for them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
I'll agree with that wholeheartedly.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:47 am
Me three.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:37 pm
Heard this lady in an interview, she lives 8 miles form the border and didn't like what Bush said about the border control issue, seemed to be a single issue gal.

She had voted for Clinton twice and Gore, and gave Kerry the edge on style but couldn't say that she liked Kerry's answer on the subject either.

Didn't sound much like she was undecided before she saw the debate, to me.
0 Replies