Does Anyone Expect A Winner To Be Declared On Nov. 2

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:12 pm
or will it litigated and dragged out again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 907 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Magus

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:14 am
I'm dreading a declaration...
of Martial Law.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:22 am
Kerry will be a clear winner by midnight of the 2nd.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:28 am
I believe there will be a clear winner ...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
Quote:
or will it litigated and dragged out again?

Bi- Damn- I was surfing the net just this morning and came across an article that talked about lawsuits being prepared already in Florida, concerning problems with irregularities with some voter registrations. If I can find it, I will provide a link.

IMO, unless there is a clear winner, there will be the same sort of knock-down drag-out that there was in 2000!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:33 am
I agree with eBrown and Edgar. In my opinion there will be a clear winner declared on the 2nd.

I also agree with eBrown about who that winner will be.

We'll see.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
But, will he be the next President? I expect more legal finagaling.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:49 am
I found a similar article to the one I had read earlier:

http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oID=17240

Quote:
Joint Press Statement by Advancement Project, AFL-CIO, American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, People For the American Way Foundation, and Service Employee International Union

Today, we have filed suit in federal court in Miami against Florida Secretary of State Glenda Hood and the Broward, Duval, Miami-Dade, Orange, and Palm Beach County Supervisors of Elections to stop the disenfranchisement of thousands of Florida residents caused by the unlawful conduct of state and local officials.

Extensive and tireless efforts have been conducted throughout the state to register new voters. As a result of these efforts, the number of registered voters has reached unprecedented numbers. But the voting rights of many Floridians may be denied because of state officials' failure to process valid voter registration applications or notify applicants in a timely manner that their applications were deemed to be incomplete.

These unlawful practices have a disparate impact on prospective Black and Latino voters. In Miami-Dade County, Blacks comprise more than 35 percent and Latinos more than 25 percent of applications deemed incomplete.

0 Replies

Magus

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:46 am
Phoenix... your quote mentions percentages of Blacks and Latinos.
Curiously, it makes no similar mention of percentages of Party affiliation.

Curiouser and curiouser...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:50 am
The dems have already started getting ready to fight Bush's eventual victory Nov. 2nd.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 11:52 am
someone tell the president McGentrixs' bark collar needs a fresh battery please....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:43 pm
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1733560p-8001196c.html

Triangle residents turned out by the thousands Thursday to vote early for public officials from U.S. president to local soil and water conservation supervisors. Many praised the convenience of voting long before Election Day on Nov. 2, when weeks worth of votes will be counted together.

Most said they would have voted anyway, but some said the freedom to vote early encouraged their participation. Early voting opened Thursday and ends Oct. 30. The General Assembly passed a law in 2000 to allow voters to cast ballots starting three weeks before the election, without having to provide an excuse for not being able to vote Election Day.

Wake County voters waited in line for the 8:30 a.m. opening and streamed all day into the county office building in downtown Raleigh -- 1,028 of them by day's end.

"Over 1,000 in a day is a lot," said Cherie Poucher, Wake's elections director. "It wasn't anywhere near this many in 2000."

She attributed the increase to growing public awareness of the early-voting option and widespread interest in the elections. More than 50,000 Wake voters have registered since the July primary elections, she said.

"Because of our number of new voters, I'm glad they're voting early," Poucher said. "My hope is that many people will take advantage of it. That will cut down on lines on Election Day."

Mike Ashe, director of Durham County's Board of Elections, said he anticipates this year's early and Election Day turnout will be heavier than ever.

"I think our one-stop voting totals, our mail-in ballot totals, our Election Day totals are going to shatter all the records," he said.

During the 2000 presidential election, about 10,000 people voted early in Durham County, Ashe said. By about 5 p.m. Thursday, at least 1,700 early ballots had been cast, he said. About 20,000 early ballots probably will be cast in Durham this year, he said.

State officials said turnout was brisk across North Carolina.

"What counties that I have heard from, turnout was heavy -- extremely heavy in comparison to the 2000 and 2002 general elections," said Gary Bartlett, executive director of the State Board of Elections.

Voting in Wake were elderly citizens, downtown office workers, homemakers, families, college students and several political candidates. They comprised 548 Democrats, 348 Republicans and 132 unaffiliated voters. Slightly more than half were men.

Most came out smiling.

"The debate last night got a lot of people excited and out today," said Teresa Davis, Johnston's elections director, referring to the final presidential debate.

Johnston gained more than 5,000 voters since July, she said.

"My mind wasn't going to change between now and then," he said. "So I might as well get it over with today."

A big vote push came from colleges. Besides the NCCU students, students from Peace College, St. Mary's School and Shaw University arrived en masse to vote in Raleigh.

Some colleges organized their own voter drives. Others coordinated with Vote for America, a national effort of p olitical group Common Cause. All 16 UNC campuses and about a dozen community colleges are participating, said Bob Phillips, executive director of Common Cause North Carolina.

"Our mission is to promote voter participation," said Matt Liles, vice president of legislative affairs at the UNC Association of Student Governments. "Whether that vote is Republican, Democrat, independent, whatever, we just want you to vote."

Johnnie McLean, deputy director of the State Board of Elections, said it's unclear whe ther the brisk turnout for early voting foretells heavy voting on Nov. 2, when polls will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. "It has been said that college students don't realize that there is a 6:30 in the morning," McLean said with a grin.

This year, they might.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
the **** starts already....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36805-2004Oct15.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:01 pm
Quote:
Phoenix... your quote mentions percentages of Blacks and Latinos.
Curiously, it makes no similar mention of percentages of Party affiliation.

Magus- I think that the implication is clear, though. The vast majority of Blacks and Latinos tend to favor the Democratic Party.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 03:40 am
Today's endorsement of John Kerry by the New York Times is a gem.

Hope you can get through using this link...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/opinion/17sun1.html?th
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Kerry will be a clear winner by midnight of the 2nd.

Should be...yes. But still on the 2nd November votes per letter will be send. So even if today the elections starts in Florida, the winner will be known a few days,perhaps weeks, later....
0 Replies