What if Osama is caught between now and the election?

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:20 pm
Phthhht.

As it happens I'm way sick (kid's been sick, I've been staying up all night taking care of kid, I get sick, still need to take care of kid, I get sicker) so any healing thoughts are appreciated.

Sure as heck hope this doesn't come to pass. A heckuva a lot of other things I hoped wouldn't come to pass and in fact thought couldn't possibly come to pass have, though, so who knows.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:25 pm
Thought you might think it was funny... (I seem to be a poor of judge of this on occasion.) No harm intended.

I guess you did get out in the cold too much.

Wishes for feeling better soon!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:25 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, I'm joking... mostly. As this thread indicates, the possibility has long been on my mind, and it occurred to me how the video could play into that.

In my scenario they actually already HAVE him, but are trying to make a plausible excuse for why he would be produced at that particular moment -- so first the video, then ah new clues, then voila, OBL.

This is one of those I don't REALLY think so things, but if it happens I'm so gonna be here saying see? See??

This is my thoughts as well Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:27 pm
Me too Soz. I hope you're feeling better very soon. I know what it's like to be sick and have to take care of a sick child. No fun!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:31 pm
soz- I hope that you feel better. I remember what it was like to be up with a sick child, when you feel lousy yourself. Not fun. Take care!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
Moms are always the last to get sick. And, at that time, no one is well enough to take care of her. Feel better, Soz and sozlet.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:36 pm
Isn't that the truth Squinney, sigh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:44 pm
That was an amiable "phtttht", Lash, no worries.

Thanks guys, I've gone through the "I'm tough, I can handle it" phase and am well into the pitiful phase. Will be over soon.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:51 pm
sozobe wrote:

Sure as heck hope this doesn't come to pass. A heckuva a lot of other things I hoped wouldn't come to pass and in fact thought couldn't possibly come to pass have, though, so who knows.

You mean like this?

One Nation Under Bush
At a campaign rally, Republicans recite the "Bush Pledge."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:01 pm
Aw, poor girl.

I've found virtual fruit bowls and flowers and even virtual glasses of orange juice or bowls of soup are supremely useless when one is sick, so I wont bother with those. But I'm sending lots of positive vibes and caring thoughtwaves your way ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:05 pm
squinney wrote:
You mean like this?

One Nation Under Bush
At a campaign rally, Republicans recite the "Bush Pledge."

Heh. I was just reading an article about a Bush rally of today. Yeeaaahh ... <grins, shakes head, copies and pastes>:

Quote:

Inside Columbus's Nationwide Arena, Bush's 20,000-strong crowd seemed re-energized. They roared with approval at all the cult-of-personality stimuli that mark a Bush campaign event in these final days. A four-person African-American a cappella group warmed up the crowd with a song in which the word "love" was replaced with the word "George":

George!
So many people use your name in vain
George!
Those who have faith in you sometimes go astray
George!
Through all the ups and downs, the joys and hurts
George!
For better or worse I still will choose you first

At first you didn't mean that much to me
But now I know that you're all I need
The world looks so brand new to me
Now that I found George
Everyday I live for you
And everything that I do
I do it for you

As they sang, a group of clean-cut white kids marched into the stands. They wore black athletic shorts and red shirts emblazoned with the letter W and sat down in a pattern that formed a giant scarlet W in the stands. Up on the Jumbotron, a rock-video-style short film opened with quick cuts of various GOP all-stars shouting Bush's name. "George W. Bush!" said Jeb Bush. "George W. Bush!" said Laura Bush. "Viva Bush!" said George P. Bush. After the film, one side of the arena shouted "B-U" and the other side returned "S-H." When Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bush arrived, the crowd cheered for seven minutes straight.

link
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:09 pm
Sounds like he's lampooning himself. Sounds hilarious.

Laura actually shouted something? Now THAT worries me!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:13 pm
As for the question of Osama being caught... This report is a little less "cheery."

GOP advisor thanks Osama

Moments after CNN aired the latest tape of Sept. 11 mastermind Osama bin Laden yesterday, a Bush/Cheney spokeswoman appeared on camera to warn the Kerry camp against trying to play politics with the video. But apparently other Republican strategists feel quite comfortable using the chilling news for political fodder. In today's New York Daily News, an anonymous "senior GOP strategist" is quoted as calling the tape, in which bin Laden threatens terrorist attacks against Americans, as "a little gift" for the Bush campaign, because, "anything that makes people nervous about their personal safety helps Bush." Consider the fear card played.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/index.html#tucker
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 06:16 pm
...and consider who played it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 12:21 am
sozobe wrote:

You hope what doesn't come to pass? That Bin Laden is captured before the election?

I must have misunderstood your posting, because it can't be that you would prefer that he be on the loose than being captured and thereby helping Bush to win.

I really hope I eat these words, but it is ridiculous to think that the Administration might have Bin Laden but are holding the reveal until the 11th hour.

Hope you and your kid feel better though.

Actually, I might have hoped that you remained incapacitated with sickness through Tuesday (only to recover completely on Wednesday), but then you're probably not in a swing state, and I suspect that only the Grim Reaper could hold you back from voting for Kerry of Vietnam come 11/2. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 06:42 am
Probably not in a swing state! He said probably not in a swing state! :-D

(I'm in Columbus, Ohio, the swingiest city in the swingiest state and I'm not talking extramarital hijinx.)

Quite right, I would prefer that Osama be captured, as a general concept, rather than remain at large. I hope that a supremely cynical orchestration of public opinion so as to regain the White House doesn't come to pass, though.

Thanks for the health wishes. The pitiful mode gets wearisome so I won't go into how pitiful I am. Kid's getting better. :-)

And no, if I have to be wheeled over, swathed in blankets, with attendants spooning chicken broth into my horribly parched throat, ain't NOTHING keeping me from the polls Tuesday.

<crosses arms, nods>

<hmm, a little too "I Dream of Jeannie...">
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 06:58 am
sozobe wrote:
Here's my current wag-the-dog scenario:

The video is released (nobody seems to know when it was made) to remind people of the boogeyman. Then, they claim that the video gave them important new clues and they nab him by Monday night.

That's just a naive theory. But we know where it was made- in Pakistan.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:00 am
Haven't really claimed otherwise, Thok.

Do you know when it was made?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:23 am
sozobe wrote:

Do you know when it was made?

Nobody [apart of course from Bin Laden/Ladin and his group] knows this.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:26 am
Right... which was what I was saying.

sozobe wrote:
(nobody seems to know when it was made)

I'm not up on the latest though so thought that information (when the tape was made) may have come out.
0 Replies