In Science We Trust: Evolution Creates Life

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:26 am
@oristarA,
surprise me
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:49 am
@farmerman,
Have you ever been surprised by the rises and falls of the sun?

It is natural like a shaft of light. It depends on you whether it is a surprise or not.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:25 pm
Learn good English from Prof. Hawking:

Quote:
WE EACH EXIST FOR BUT A SHORT TIME, and in that time explore but a small part of the whole universe. But humans are a curious species. We wonder, we seek answers. Living in this vast world that is by turns kind and cruel, and gazing at the immense heavens above, people have always asked a multitude of questions: How can we understand the world in which we find
ourselves? How does the universe behave? What is the nature of reality? Where did all this come from? Did the universe need a creator? Most of us do not spend most of our time worrying about these questions, but almost all of us worry about them some of the time.
-THE MYSTERY OF BEING
Excerpt from The Grand Design

And improve your "English", ehBeth and farmerman.
layman

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:42 pm
@oristarA,
Last time I saw Hawking his English wasn't too damn good.

Just sayin.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 06:15 pm
@oristarA,
Insults dont improve your case at all. In fact, your ignorance of how tech writing is done is just short of laughable .
Pete Guzzardi is Hawking's editor and it is he who made a number of suggestions into the tone and prose style for Hawking to accept (or not), in his Brief History of Time.
(Perhaps you should look to see what Hawking was first going to call the book and how Guzzardi chose the word "Brief"). Im sure somewhere theres an article or two about how HAwking actually stated that his book was a case where Guzzardi should also be given credit as the primo "Stylemeister" who demanded the more popular tone that the book finally took.

OH,ONE MORE THING, did you know that "Grand Design" was coauthored by Lenny Mlodonov.

Whats on A2K is , at best, "first draft" stuff. We speak mostly in colloquialisms and extract some techy talk when needed. If you are comparing what Hawking wrote after several drafts of a manuscript with our back and forth BS, youre being rather naive, Do you know that?.

So wheres the bad news?? Is it that you dont like my typos? Ill try to work on them but I think it boils down to me being a bit lazy (as one perspicacious member once said of me). SO if you think you can improve my writing, try your hand at editing. (Also, try to get some damn humor into your style, you creep people out)
maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Insults dont improve your case at all. In fact, your ignorance of how tech writing is done is just short of laughable .

Actually, Oristar's insults are the most compelling part of his arguments.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 09:24 pm
@maxdancona,
are you kidding?
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2017 03:17 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
If you've read through them, your English writing would have got tremendously improved.

Quote:
Have you ever been surprised by the rises and falls of the sun?

Quote:
It is natural like a shaft of light. It depends on you whether it is a surprise or not.

I love you thinking, keep up the good work
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 05:42 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im sure somewhere theres an article or two about how HAwking actually stated that his book was a case where Guzzardi should also be given credit as the primo "Stylemeister" who demanded the more popular tone that the book finally took.

That is in Hawking's own book My Brief History. In chapter 10 Hawking reveals that Peter Guzzardi took his job very seriously:"Each time I sent him a rewritten chapter, he sent back a long list of objections and questions he wanted me to clarify. At times I thought the process would never end. But he was right: it is a much better book as a result."

What is most important is that no one denies A Brief History of Time is Hawking's work! The editor's suggestions are undoubtedly creditable. But the author himself completed the majority of the work ! Yet you've sounded as if Peter wrote the book for Hawking! Your judgement and logic is deplorable, farmerman.

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:06 am
@oristarA,
If my judgement and logic are deplorable, why have you basically agreed with my points??

Quote:
That is in Hawking's own book My Brief History. In chapter 10 Hawking reveals that Peter Guzzardi took his job very seriously
I knew that already, if you recall, it was I who called your attention to the shared credit for the book and Peter Guzzardi's role in the books written style (It was Pete Guzzardi who made the tone of the book more popular sounding (something that HAwking admittedly had no clue). Therefore, youve learnt two lessons herein.

1. I got you to dig deeper and try to underpin your points of discusion with multiple points of evidence.

2. You should avoid making bold assertions about facts or stylistic elements in writing (especially whose great or whose not unless you prephase it with a IMHO) unless you are VERY SURE about what youve said . (Now you seem to be trying to minimize Guzzardi's role by another of your fact-free assertions)

Youre getting to be a petulant little pain in the ass over a silly point that youve lost awhile back. I think several people herein have called that to your attention as youve gone from "Student" of ESL to self proclaimed "master " .

youve got lots to learn yet, and insulting those who can help is a funny way of saying "Thanks"
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

OH,ONE MORE THING, did you know that "Grand Design" was coauthored by Lenny Mlodonov.

Should Leonard Mlodinow be magnified and placed at the top of the cover over Stephen Hawking, according to your silly theory and logic, farmerman?

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/stephen_hawking/the_grand_design.gif

Your punctuation is horrible. Remember the old adage: if you don't use correct capitalization, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:59 pm
@oristarA,
I Dont reMember any olD, adage. like, that!
oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 12:20 am
@maxdancona,
Calculated it on the measure of the fast pace of our information era, the adage will be old enough.

Accuracy makes an acute man. And our farmerman's sense of linguistics desperately needs to be sharpened.
nacredambition

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 01:56 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Accuracy makes an acute man. And our farmerman's sense of linguistics desperately needs to be sharpened.

Yes, and what of the old saw that it all adze up to who's the sharpest tool in the shed.

To be blunt, I love your cutting edge analysis.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:11 am
@oristarA,
Apparently my views about this subject have upset you. Im sorry youre upset about this but you do have to remain more objective in your work as a "consumer" of words. You seem to get hung up on single , kinda pointless subjects , and then like to strike out at anyone who disagrees with you.

So you won, feel better?
Im easy to impress and Im impossible to insult.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 04:14 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Should Leonard Mlodinow be magnified and placed at the top of the cover over Stephen Hawking, according to your silly theory and logic, farmerman?
Actually all I was doing is trying to call your attention to the fact that, what you called Good English from Prof. Hawking was not a "solo performance". Could it be that, "the English" used in the book was a team effort???

oristarA

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:44 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Actually all I was doing is trying to call your attention to the fact that, what you called Good English from Prof. Hawking was not a "solo performance". Could it be that, "the English" used in the book was a team effort???

Is there any book that is the solo performance of its author? The answer is NO. That is why editorship is required. Good editing adds luster to the book, while bad editing tarnishes it.

Editorship is not authorship, however. The author is credited for creating the bulk of written works. That is why it is accurate to say that Prof. Hawking is the author of A Brief History of Time, or the main author of The Grand Design. He made greatest contribution to the Good English of the two books, which doesn't necessarily deny team efforts there. The fact is, none of the teammates is qualified in entering the authorship.

The originality or ingenuity of the two books remains us that Hawking should have been the vital contributor to the good English. Because such new ideas, when expressed in academic jargon, are too hard to be understood by ordinary people (thus difficult to convene a team to work on the jargon); a reasonable guess is that Hawking had to repeatedly work on the feedback of the editor-as he revealed in his My Brief History.

nacredambition

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 06:54 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
The originality or ingenuity of the two books remains us that Hawking should have been the vital contributor to the good English.

Thank you, I couldn't have put it better.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 09:37 am
@nacredambition,
Too bad he doesnt know of what the hell he speaks(Therefore you know even less). As I clearly said about "THE GRAND DESIGNGRAND DESIGN It was CO-AUTHORED (not edited) by Stephen and Lenny.

So your mutual pats on the back are , in essence, congratulations for poor reading comprehension.

Here is the cover of The Grand Design. Carefully note the nmes on the cover.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51bDvU5HlCL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 09:49 am
@nacredambition,
are you ori's "sock puppet"?? You seem to quickly congratulate his efforts without even reading his posts.