New Kerry ad mislead

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:54 pm
New Kerry ad misleads (10/5)

By Bryan Keefer

In a new ad entitled "Powerful," John Kerry levels some of the most misleading charges his campaign has made to date.

Kerry's ad features a graphic and narration both stating that "Drug companies got a $139 billion bailout." In a fact sheet released Tuesday in support of the ad, his campaign cites a report from the Boston University School of Public Health to back up its claim. But the study notes that the number is based on a calculation of the additional profits drug companies will make selling pharmaceuticals to Medicare patients over the next eight years, not the upfront subsidy implied by "bailout."

The ad also states that "They give CEOs big tax breaks for shipping our jobs overseas." Yet the tax breaks in question, according to a March article in the Wall Street Journal, provide incentives for companies to invest overseas - not tax breaks for individuals, as the invocation of CEOs implies. (The incentives in question allow US companies to pay less in taxes on income earned overseas when it is invested overseas.) Moreover, as the Journal pointed out, those incentives have been in place since the corporate income tax was first leveled in the early twentieth century, contrary to Kerry's implication that Bush created them.

It goes on to state that "The Saudi Royal family gets special favors, while our gas prices skyrocket." The Kerry ad cites a Reuters report from September 29, 2004, but that release refers only to the rising price of oil, making no mention of any "favors." Nor does the Kerry fact mention of what those special favors might be. This is simply an inflammatory attack designed to influence voters by appealing to negative perceptions of the Saudis. As the New York Times pointed out, this line of attack echoes other ad put out by independent groups, as well as Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11."

In this case, it's the deception that's powerful.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 518 • Replies: 5
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:56 pm
Stop the presses! A misleading campaign ad!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:57 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Stop the presses! A misleading campaign ad!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:05 pm
I'm holding my breath until an actual honest political debate is aired....

..........................mm..............ooh........m........mmmmmmmmmm.....GASP!!!!!

Oh hell, forget it.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:05 pm
I meant "ad."
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:08 am
Re: New Kerry ad mislead
McGentrix wrote:

It goes on to state that "The Saudi Royal family gets special favors, while our gas prices skyrocket." The Kerry ad cites a Reuters report from September 29, 2004, but that release refers only to the rising price of oil, making no mention of any "favors." Nor does the Kerry fact mention of what those special favors might be. This is simply an inflammatory attack designed to influence voters by appealing to negative perceptions of the Saudis. As the New York Times pointed out, this line of attack echoes other ad put out by independent groups, as well as Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11."

In this case, it's the deception that's powerful.

link

Umm, do you want me to start listing the "favors" seen to the House of Saud? Are you actually saying that the Bush Administration does NOT placate to the House of Saud? Do you want me to bring out connections between the Bin Laden family and Bush?

Please say you are, because there are a NUMBER of facts and references in government documents which bring this to light.

And your "link" sends you to a website run by the same people who wrote "All the President's Spin" Laughing

Way to go there smart guy, kind of like when Cheney referred Americans to Soros' web site. Don't cough too hard, a bone my just fall right out.
0 Replies