Kerry's religious affilation

owl

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:08 am
What is John Kerry's religious affiliation? After watching the PBS series last night it became obvious that Bush was manipulating the Christian Right by relying on his presumed Christianity and succeeding at it.

It seems to me that if John Kerry has any religious affiliation he is foolish not to include it in his campaign.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 11
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:17 am
He is Catholic. For now...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:38 am
Bush is not really a Christian...he is a moron.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:22 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

LOL Frank!

Yes, Kerry is a Catholic and I don't know why you think this should be made an issue. Religion doesn't belong in politics!
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

I don't think that's so, if he remembered to use the Dred Scott code without a wire down his back... Shocked But I think that his christian fervor is akin to addiction, and he replaced one addiction with another when he stopped drinking. I know a lot of born-again christians who seem to have done this and are dry drunks who are now drunk on Christ. It's fine if you can separate your religious opinions out from your political opinions, when you are a public servant in office serving believers and nonbeliever citizens and supposed to be doing so equally. Bush isn't.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:57 am
Kerry is a catholic. Note the small "c". Wink Catholic, meaning "universal" in his views of religion, at least politically.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:05 am
Kerry is a Catholic. However thankfully he understands and adheres to the principle of separation of church and state. Neither the Pope nor Jesus Christ will make American policy under his presidency. It will remain a secular state.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:37 am
au1929 wrote:
Kerry is a Catholic. However thankfully he understands and adheres to the principle of separation of church and state. Neither the Pope nor Jesus Christ will make American policy under his presidency. It will remain a secular state.

Ok, you're right; I'm wrong. He's both Catholic and catholic. Thank God he's catholic! Let's just hope that makes him desirable to the majority of the voters in a coupla more weeks... Wink
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
princesspupule
Are you aware that much of the Catholic Hierarchy is preaching against him because of his refusal to toe the line on Abortion, and stem cell research. The want him to be their president not the president of secular America. Oh! if only we could make religion illegal. Maybe an amendment to the constitution would do it. Sad Sad Sad
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
au1929 wrote:
princesspupule
Are you aware that much of the Catholic Hierarchy is preaching against him because of his refusal to toe the line on Abortion, and stem cell research. The want him to be their president not the president of secular America. Oh! if only we could make religion illegal. Maybe an amendment to the constitution would do it. Sad Sad Sad

That was thank God he's catholic, small "c." I don't really care what any organized religion says about any candidate because the president is supposed to be able to preside over a nation of people representing the vast spectrum from extremely religious to unreligious.

The Catholic Church's politics hold virtually no sway here. And that should go for all other religions preaching politics. I am against making religion illegal; this country was founded so that all citizens could be free to practice their own brand of religion and worship as they see fit.

The Living Bible contradicts itself in so many places that you could use it to make both sides of most arguments. I reject any argument for anything secular based upon its tenets because of its contradictions. However, at the same time I do that, I am a practicing christian. One who believes that God can speak to us. The thing is, he needs to tell more of us than just Pat Robertson and President Bush for me to believe it's the word straight from God. I believe that since Christ died, all who recognize his death as atonement for our sins are all saints. Therefore, equally able to hear the word of God. If someone claims that God is speaking to them, without confirmation from the church body, it's not God, but an auditory hallucination or a scam to have your way. Jmo, fwiw. But, no, I wouldn't want religion to be illegal any more than I want it defined.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:12 am
The remark about making religion illegal was made with tongue in cheek. However, I would like to see religion in it's place and not in the offices of government. Religion has been and still is the greatest divider of humankind.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:17 pm
au1929 wrote:
The remark about making religion illegal was made with tongue in cheek. However, I would like to see religion in it's place and not in the offices of government. Religion has been and still is the greatest divider of humankind.

Sary that I got Bush's "battling green eyeshades" joke, and missed that you were tongue in cheek. Laughing
0 Replies