4 chicken drumsticks waiting for inspiration

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:08 am
No, colorbook, not yet, I was thinking ahead. Tomorrow, I think! Thanks for reminding me. I'll do the big defrost, starting tonight. Smile
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 03:47 pm
You can also cover them completely in plain yogurt and bake them. Don't peek in the oven until the cooking is almost done, then just to check. Yummy and easy and cheap!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:35 pm
Sounds good, Wy! Now I'm wondering what I could add to the yoghurt, for a bit more zing! I'm mean, with all those fresh herbs & shelves full of spices & flavourings it's very tempting to experiment. Thank you. Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
From yesterday's NY Times:

Recipe: Lamb or Chicken in Onion-Yogurt Sauce

Time: 1 1/2 hours

2 tablespoons butter
2 large onions or 4 medium onions, sliced
10 cloves garlic, peeled
Salt
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon minced ginger, or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
10 cardamom pods
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
1 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch chunks, or 4 whole chicken legs
2 cups yogurt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
Cooked basmati rice for serving.

1. Put butter in a large skillet or casserole that can later be covered, and turn heat to medium-high. Add onions, garlic and a large pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become very soft and brown, at least 15 minutes. Stir in spices, and cook another minute or so. Add lamb or chicken, and stir.

2. In a bowl, whisk yogurt with cornstarch until smooth. Stir it into mixture; if using chicken, add 1/3 cup water. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook at least 40 minutes (by which time chicken will likely be tender) or longer, stirring occasionally, or until lamb is quite tender. Taste and adjust seasoning, then garnish with cilantro, and serve with basmati rice.

Yield: 4 servings.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:55 pm
cjhsa

Thank you! I just printed that & I think I'm gonna cook it tonight!
Nice & spicey! Very Happy I suspect the recipe wasn't intended for drumsticks, but hey, what the hell?
This could be cooked in my wok (which has a lid). I've discovered I have 6 drumsticks, not 4, so the size is about right.

See, you ask for inspiration here & you get it here! Very Happy I KNEW something interesting could be done with those boring old drumsticks! Laughing
Onward with the Olga Economy Drive! Perhaps I should start a thread called Inspired Cooking in Impoverished Times? :wink:
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:52 pm
Msolga, here's a chicken in a skillet recipe that uses legs or thighs.

2 pounds chicken drumsticks or thighs
1 pound small new potatoes, quartered
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed or 1/2 tsp fresh, chopped
pepper to taste
green onions or chives
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen peas
1/4 cup snipped parlsey
1 8-oz carton sour cream
2 tbsp flour

Skin chicken if you prefer. Cook it in margarine or butter over medium heat for about 15 minutes, until browned. Add potatoes, broth, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for half an hour

Add green onion/chives, peas and 1/4 cup parsley. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes until chicken and potatoes are tender and chicken is no longer pink. Transfer chicken and veggies to a plate, keeping warm.

Remove skillet from heat. Mix sour cream and flour and add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Spoon sauce over chicken and veggies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:21 pm
I'm the type of cook who always says: "If it has more than
4 ingredients, forget it!" http://www.borge.diesal.de/schiel.gif

Have you eaten yet?

Cover the chicken drums with hot mustard,
put it in a deep dish, add a little chickenbroth to it
and let it simmer until tender. In addition you could
add a bit of sweet white wine and some cocktail onions.

As side dish you could have potatoes, rice, or whatever
you desire.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 01:29 am
Well, I did make the chicken in yoghurt/onion sauce last night. And very nice it was, too! Very Happy My only deviation from the recipe was to add considerably more water than suggested. Otherwise the yoghurt sauce would have been far too thick. I now have 2 more meals of this to go! Rolling Eyes Never mind, I'll manage. Laughing

I WILL try some of the other recipes posted here when I decide it's time to cook chicken again. I like the look of yours, mckenzie, plus a number of the oven baked ones from earlier in the thread. A very easy recipe there, CalamityJane. Just the thing for one of those rushed days!

Many thanks to all of you for your help! Very Happy
0 Replies