GOVERNOR WELD'S OPINION OF A KERRY PRESIDENCY

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
"Under President Kerry, we would quickly have a substantial tax increase, which is heresy in my world, but we had one early on under Bill Clinton (remember the "stimulus package"?), and the economy seemed to do all right as the 1990s wore on. We would surely also witness far greater reliance on diplomacy in international affairs, which could strike some as overcautious or insufficiently muscular, but it would be interesting to see what would happen.

What kind of president would John Kerry be? My guess is he would be a thoughtful president. This is not necessarily all good--you have to make dozens of yes-or-no decisions every day in the Oval Office, and there's no space for "maybe" on the decision memos, absolutely no dithering allowed--but it's not all bad, either. The guy has style.

Which brings us to substance. Here the terrain grows rockier for the Kerry camp.

First, many voters as they go into the booth will likely have in mind what each man would do in Iraq. Here Sen. Kerry faces a quandary: He has committed himself to increasing the participation of allies in our coalition, yet he has called our existing allies the "coalition of the bribed and the coerced," and the Iraq campaign nothing more than a "grand diversion," wrong war, wrong time, wrong place. Against that backdrop, it would require the combined skills of Metternich and Beelzebub to persuade new allies to join the effort.

Second, his assertion that U.S. moves should pass a "global test" may give some voters pause. While he truly does believe in the morality of diplomacy, ever since George III most Americans have disliked the idea of asking a foreign potentate for permission for anything.

Third, it does appear that Sen. Kerry's position on the war in Iraq has changed. My own view is that the antiwar John Kerry is the real John Kerry, and that what Sen. Kerry is now saying is what he believes. The difficulty, of course, is then to explain why he did not vote against the use of force in Iraq, just as he had voted against the first Gulf War resolution in 1991. The suggestion from President Bush is that the senator's vote for the war, which predated the rise of Howard Dean, was based on a domestic political calculation.

Fourth, President Bush is not distorting Sen. Kerry's voting record when he says it is among the most liberal in the Senate. Sen. Kerry was ranked the No. 1 liberal by the National Journal, which has no dog in the presidential fight. One can scarcely imagine the screams of outrage if the GOP chose as its candidate the most conservative member of the Senate. "Out of the mainstream!" would be just the opener.

Fifth, the fact is that President Bush has an ample record to run on: a resolute stand against global threats and enemies, a tax cut that virtually all economists agreed was helpful in pulling the country out of recession, major achievements in education (No Child Left Behind), health care (prescription drug benefit for seniors) and law enforcement (Patriot Act), and interesting new salients like the faith-based initiative for social programs.

My second prediction is that after George Bush has lost the debates on style, he will win the election on substance."

Mr. Weld, a principal at Leeds Weld & Co., was governor of Massachusetts from 1991 to 1997.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 651 • Replies: 8
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:30 am
Talk about the classic debate/ He and Kerry went at it pretty good as I recall.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:50 am
I keep hearing this 'syle vs. substance' crapola. It's just more typical 'up is down, right is left' spin from the righties.

What Kerry has is substance. It makes him look better in the debates because his arguments are substantive, not cheerleading slogans like 'he can run but he can't hide'.

It's Bush who has to rely on style. Easy going, what you see is what you get. Says what he means and means what he says. All of those are personality and style traits.

I trust Kerry to make those yes or no decisions every day because he has so much experience he won't need to research every last one of them. A cliff notes/crash course president, however, is likely to judge incorrectly for lack of understanding of the subject matter. It comes down to this. Kerry is prepared to be president. Bush was not prepared 4 years ago, and he hasn't improved much since.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
"I trust Kerry to make those yes or no decisions every day..."

He does that. Yes today...No tomorrow. And on the same issue.Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:57 am
Larry434 wrote:

Hardy har har.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Hardy har har.

LOL, that was in my morning talking points from the RNC to indepedent conservatives who are Bush supporters. Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:23 am
And expertly executed! Smile
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:25 am
FreeDuck wrote:
And expertly executed! Smile

Thank you. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:29 am
woiyo wrote:
Talk about the classic debate/ He and Kerry went at it pretty good as I recall.

Actually, it was, but Kerry still smoked him. Weld was a good politician, but he lacked the quick thinking needed for it.

And just a little FYI for thos who don't know, Weld, the acting governer at the time, lost the bid for the senate seat because of the debate.

It is the reason people consider Kerry a closer, he equates races to marathons, not sprints. It's not who's first out of the gate, but who crosses the finish line first that wins, we're witnessing it right now.
0 Replies