The Truth about Vietnam vets!!!

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 07:16 pm
In this debate please refrain from using either candidates names because they aren't involved in the after effects of the war! We can also discuss the war protestors and their reasons but this is primarily about the vets then and now.

Vietnam vets are today much more successful then their none serving counter parts. The reports of being homeless and wasted are lies perpetuated by the still active anti-war left.
-------------------------------------
After the war ended, reports began to circulate of veterans so depraved from their war experiences that they turned to crime, with estimates of the number of incarcerated Vietnam veterans as high as one-quarter of the prison population. But most of these accounts were based on self-reporting by criminals. In every major study of Vietnam veterans where military records were verified, an insignificant number of prisoners were found to be actual Vietnam veterans.
A corollary to the prison myth is the belief that substantial numbers of Vietnam veterans are unemployed. A study by the Labor Department in 1994 showed an unemployment rate of 3 percent for Vietnam veterans -- lower than that of Vietnam-era veterans who served outside the Vietnam theater (5 percent), and for all male veterans (4.9 percent).

The same is true for the nonsense that Vietnam vets have high rates of suicide, often heard as the "fact" that more veterans had died by their own hand than in combat. But that's a myth, too. A 1988 study by the Centers for Disease Control found Vietnam veterans had suicide rates well within the 1.7 percent norm of the general population.
Societal Success:

In fact, Vietnam veterans are as successful or more successful than men their own age who did not go to war. Disproportionate numbers of Vietnam veterans serve in Congress, for instance. Vice President Al Gore is a Vietnam veteran, as is enormously popular Colin Powell.
They run Fortune 500 corporations (Frederick Smith of Federal Express), write screenplays (Bill Broyles formerly of Newsweek) and report the evening news (ABC correspondent Jack Smith).
Actor Dennis Franz, who plays a detective on TV's NYPD Blue, is a Vietnam vet, as are large numbers of real law enforcement agents, prosecutors and attorneys. No facet of American life has been untouched by the positive contributions of Vietnam veterans.
----------------------------------------------------

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,620 • Replies: 45
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:21 pm
My dad came back OK, a bit jaded, but nothing like the stereotypes.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:34 pm
Well I live in Hawaii where it is quite common to find vets stalking through coffee fields or wandering around subdivisions in the middle of the night completing "nightly reconnaissance." I could name the ptsd guys who act weird in town that everybody knows, all vets, but of course that is anecdotal... As is the common knowledge that they are out booby trapping their pot fields and checking them when they are out on their "recon missions." Maybe they all just moved to Hawaii, huh? Confused
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:40 pm
I had a bunch of friends come back f*#ked up...on drugs and mentally...even more that just glaze over and refuse to discuss their experiences...and a goodly number who came back okay......I think this is a partisan post to denigrate all but those who served by Sgt. Gung Ho here...... :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:42 pm
I know vets of the Vietnam atrocity called a war. Some are all right. Some are lower than any forms of animals.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:44 pm
yeah, well, my uncle came home in a box.

that was a real success, i guess.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 08:53 pm
Re: The Truth about Vietnam vets!!!
Baldimo wrote:
Vietnam vets are today much more successful then their none serving counter parts.

B, you and I actually agree on this point! Does that mean you'll be voting democratic in 3 more weeks? Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:10 pm
no comment, at the moment
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:11 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Vietnam vets are today much more successful then their none serving counter parts.

B, you and I actually agree on this point! Does that mean you'll be voting democratic in 3 more weeks? Wink
Did that snowball survive?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:23 pm
I have a lot of friends and relatives who are Vietnam vets and all seem to be very normal, successful people.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:41 pm
So, is your point that Vietnam vets as a group are diverse? And their diversity will limit their political clout as a group. Not like the gay voters or the hiphop nation, if they vote as a unified block... Confused
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:51 pm
I know a buncha Vietnam Vets. We're a pretty big group. There's a buncha winners in the group, and there are a few losers in the group. All in all, I gotta say I figure the Vietnam Experience is just incidental to their life progress, marginally if at all causal in either case. Some argument may be made that leadership, management, and discipline skills gained thereby aided some in their subsequent successes, and that others were tipped in their slide to the gutter by abuses they saw, suffered, or participated in while In Country. I'll note too that among the dazed and confused claiming Vietnam service, and blaming it for their dependencies and hardships, are many who got no closer to the military than an anti-war rally. Winners pretty much quietly plug away at meetin' responsibilities and workin' with others on makin' life work ... and for them, it does. Losers, on the otherhand, whine that life ain't fair, they got screwed, they got nobody they can turn to, and none of their woes are of their own making.

The guy goin' into his Sixties today with a pretty much paid up mortgage on a pretty nice house, a couple pretty nice paid-for cars, maybe a boat or an RV too, a kid or two graduated from college or well established in a carreer, a few grandkids, an impending, long anticipated, comfortable retirement, and a buncha memories owes damned little of that to his having served in Vietnam. And a guy goin' into his Sixties today with nothing but the clothes he's wearin', a nasty cough, a chronic substance abuse problem, a string of failed, likely abusive relationships, and an arrest record longer than his job history most likely doesn't owe much of that to Vietnam service, either.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:52 pm
Agreed, timber.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:07 pm
I know of about 58,000 Vietnam vets who presumably would describe their post-war experiences as "less than satisfactory." You can find their names listed on a wall in Washington, D.C.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:10 pm
For sure, Joe.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 10:16 pm
Joe, I personally knew a few of 'em. Knew one fella on that wall that knew what he was about to do was prolly gonna get him killed, but do some good for a buncha other guys. I owe him a bunch.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:57 am
My next door neighbor is a vietnam vet. I know for a fact that he still has flashbacks. Not that he talks about it, but his kids have to my kids. They have seen him during those flashbacks.

I imagine that some are able to go on about their lives if they survived it, but on the whole I think it is deceitful to say that on average vietnam vets are able to look back on their experiences as something they would do again voluntarily.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:14 am
I doubt any of 'em did enjoy it, or would enjoy it again. I think you'd be amazed, revel, by how many would answer the call if it came as duty. Honor, responsibility, and sacrifice are powerful stuff.

For some folks.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:20 am
No human being should ever have to look someone in the eyes and kill them.

How you came back depended on what you did while you were there. Some people did things they never want to speak of let alone remember they did. Others were more "fortunate" (if you can say that). All of them came back to a country that critisized them and hated them for something they had no control over. Sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:46 am
from my experience and from what minor evidence I have read, about 1/3 Vietnam vets were and continue to be 'gung-ho'
1/3 were/are indifferent as in "yeah I did that and this weekend I am going to paint the garage and watch the NFl on Sun.
1/3 are were/are anti this or that or the other thing (me)
0 Replies