China Seizes U.S. Underwater Drone From International Waters

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:27 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
China is not your military ally either, Ivan.

China's the one for the US to be aware of. They're damn good at the long game. They've been collecting economic allies all over the globe while the US and Russia have been heading the opposite direction.

Even my hometown, literally a spit from the US border, is tighter with China - economically - than it is with the US. No one would have imagined that 10/20/50 years ago.
Blickers

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:43 am
@ehBeth,
Quote ehBeth:
Quote:
Even my hometown, literally a spit from the US border, is tighter with China - economically - than it is with the US. No one would have imagined that 10/20/50 years ago.

I don't know about your hometown specifically, but as trading partners with Canada the US would still be far ahead of the Chinese. Of course, as the Chinese economy continues to grow, (which it is still doing, though not quite as fast as they claim), their economic impact will continue to grow with it.
Quote:
The top export destinations of Canada are the United States ($331B), China ($18B), the United Kingdom ($10.6B), Japan ($10.2B) and Mexico ($7.81B). The top import origins are the United States ($241B), China ($50.6B), Mexico ($24.5B), Germany ($13.5B) and Japan ($11.7B).

Source-OEC
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:47 am
@Blickers,
Things are changing up here quite rapidly. Three of my best friend's brothers are mining engineers. Almost all of their work is now done in China or for Chinese companies working in other countries. China wasn't even on our economic horizon 20 years ago. Since then, two of my employers have tried to find a way into China's insurance market which is expected to be the growth area in the next 10/20 years. Asia - Pacific is the growth zone.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:17 pm
When I worked apartment maintenance, everything I bought for the property was Chinese made.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 01:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Ive been tapped to provide some advice and consulting to several Chinese minerals consortia. They DO NOT wnat to leave the world as screed up as the Brits, Us and other European concerns have done on the pst.
We hve whole new ways of mininng for whole new bunches of
extractbles. The Chinese have pretty much fucked up their own country and dont want to be messed with in in other countries.

If TPP goes out the door, China will have a superhiway to the market opportunities that it does not enjoy .
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 01:18 pm
@farmerman,
I have been against TPP, not because I oppose trade alliances, but because of the gratuitous perks the framers of TPP awarded themselves. Stripped down to an honest bill I would get enthusiastic for it.
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 01:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
the problems with these multilatrerals is that they go through many drafts into which these are added
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 01:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote Farmerman:
Quote:
If TPP goes out the door, China will have a superhiway to the market opportunities that it does not enjoy .

Are you saying that if TPP passes China will have a superhighway to markets that it doesn't have now, or if TPP doesn't pass it will have that superhighway?
farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 02:19 pm
@Blickers,
if it does NOT become the compact. China already enjoys several benefits of being a third world country in its work force , yet a first world country in its mfr status
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 02:21 pm
China to return seized U.S. drone, says Washington 'hyping up' incident
Quote:
The Defense Ministry said a Chinese naval vessel discovered a piece of "unidentified equipment," and checked it to prevent any navigational safety issues before discovering it was a U.S. drone.

"China decided to return it to the U.S. side in an appropriate manner, and China and the U.S. have all along been in communication about it," the ministry said on its website.

"During this process, the U.S. side's unilateral and open hyping up is inappropriate, and is not beneficial to the smooth resolution of this issue. We express regret at this," it added.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 02:31 pm
@Blickers,
Made me chuckle, Blickers.

I'm not a drone fan, but I get some of it once in a while (forest fire help, if they do? or similar).

I'm particular in a variety of ways re not wanting people or companies to **** up my sky, and I've written about that at a2k before. I don't run to see balloons over Albuquerque, or varied art sky works in or near New York City. I do get the art impulse, but no.

Amazon mail by drones? Loads of untold crappola zipping to your street.
Jiminy christmas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 02:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
They were just tweaking our nose.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 02:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's hopefull.

I take all this as a miserable football game, and football games often have surprise results.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 03:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So the Russians also hacked the Chinese, right?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 03:32 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

No, no, no. 0bama has been weak with China and every other nation from day one.

China decides to exploit said weakness by waiting until the fag end of Obama's presidency to do something provocative. Clever buggers these Chinese, most countries would have had a pop the minute he took office.

Btw, Obama is very popular this side of the pond, Bush and Trump are loathed. That's the view outside America, with the exception of the land of the puppetmaster. Don't fool yourself that anyone outside tea party circles thinks highly of Trump, he's a dangerous lunatic, and the World is a more dangerous place will him in charge.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 05:06 pm
So the Chinese returned the drone right away with apologies. So much for the "Obama is weak" baloney and its foolish adherents.
Frugal1

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 05:25 pm
@Blickers,
The Chinese respect Trump, they don't respect the outgoing disaster.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cz6VE4qUAAALxp0.jpg:large
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 06:00 pm
@farmerman,
As a landscape architect, I had several chinese clients over the years, one time for a whole housing tract, another for the landscape for a rather grand business. No problems ever. I have to add that they new me via my earlier japanese american land arch boss.

What I remember of them was that the handshake was what mattered. They were also loyal to me.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 07:58 pm
@Frugal1,
When Obama first took office, the country had LOST 6 Million Full Time jobs the previous year. Now the country has GAINED 2 Million Full Time jobs in the last 12 months and 5 Million in the last 2 years. Spin it anyway your Kremlin boss tells you to, that's real progress. That's why Obama is respected by leaders around the world, and Trump will not be.
Frugal1

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2016 09:31 pm
@Blickers,
None of what you said is true. Not even a smidgen of fact.